• Sun-Earth L1
    • Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

Looks up to me. Might have had a spurt. I temporarily need a bit of a hiatus from it as my rover project (entrant in the NASA SRR Challenge) is nearing its critical phases now that all this darn snow is melting.

Awe, not gonna give it a snow test? lol just kidding! That is very cool! Hope your design gets selected!

Thanks! It's less a selection and more a competition. We send the rovers out in a park, they autonomously try to find selected objects and bring them back. The objects are worth different points based on how hard they are to find. Prize money is determined by points.

Anyway, here is the link I have been using to get to the forums, and it still seems to work fine.

http://forums.mossat.org/

• 3 weeks later...

I am so sorry.

I really am. I still have no computer, and I can't access the site at all. Also, I was hospitalized for two weeks, Got out a week ago. But that's still no excuse for forgetting about this for so long. What's new? Any progress? where are we at right now? Has someone else made a site, or are we still thinking of using mine?

Hello guys. First, let me say I am very interested in this project and would like to lend a helping hand. I think it has great potential but I have some major concerns. I read a little here and most of the threads on the mossat website. Maybe I missed something, but I'm going to quickly outline my concerns here. I suppose I'll make an account there sometime this week and voice more specific concerns and suggestions there.

1. The available baseline data on the selected moss species and selected technique for growing it. What made you guys decide on this species? Do we have a list of published research on this species, how to grow it, nutrient requirements, light requirements, response to microgravity (0G), ability to grow under zero light conditions with selected media, response lighting from the flash for the camera, etc? There is a plethora of information we need to have clear on this species so that we can form a proper null hypothesis.

2. Once we have that information on this species, we need to begin running experiments on it ASAP. We need to start an R&D type program to develop the best techniques for propagating the species and help rapidly prototype the holders, starting atmospheric conditions, etc. needed to get success. That way we have a baseline set of data to compare our data with. It will also give us metrics to measure. Taking a picture sounds great, but we need ways to interpret that data once we get it. We can take pictures and then measure all sorts of things so that we can correlate the pictures from space vs. what we already know. For example, (assuming we decide to change the experiment and allow a light source) we can measure photosynthesis levels or some other metric of the health of each plant based on color.

3. Design of experiment. How are the samples going to be mounted inside the cubesat? Radially along the outside walls? I see some discussion on the website but I can't view any of the pictures posted for some reason. I think I may have a novel idea which will allow us to conduct two gravity level experiments simultaneously. I think this is absolutely needed because it simplifies other aspects of the design and minimized the variables for each sample. Besides the simplicity of less sensors, less need to modify/control the climate which leads to abrupt swings in parameters, etc., I think the solution I have will mean less crossover of initial conditions from the previous experiments. What I mean is, if you do a .3G test first, then do a .6G test, how will you prove that the first G load didn't affect the second G load test and so on. I suppose you could have separate compartments, have some way to suspend the growth of the moss and then somehow restart it's growth. I think that is the intention by just sending up seeds or something and then hydrating them? That gets VERY complicated. This thing should be simple. with as few things to go wrong as possible. Having multiple samples each with it's own climate control systems for O2 and CO2, plus sensors, plus mechanisms to add water selectively, etc... That's way too complicated, IMO. My solution will keep all samples in the same atmosphere, provide two different G conditions at the same exact time which can be chosen during the design phase and have all samples in the experiment running together. I'll explain my solution to these issues if someone shows interest or will just prepare something for you guys over on the mossat site.

If anyone is wondering what my background is, I have a BS in Agronomy-Plant and Soil Science in which my concentration was Crop Management. I also have a minor in Environmental Management Systems. During college I worked for a research farm for LSU so I'm familiar with designing, implementing, gathering, collecting and sorting data for research trials for plants and to some extent fungi, insects, and bacteria. I currently work at a chemical plant as an operator, and I'm routinely (currently almost daily) designing and troubleshooting systems (by systems I mean both process systems and computerized control systems) along with our engineering group. I think this is a great project and hope that I can help!

Edited by cdugas4

Hello, im new here, but... how are we going to actually fund this? I mean, kickstarter is a brilliant idea, but how are we going to get enough people to pledge for us? And also, who is going to build the actual cubesat? We all live continents apart, so doing it together would be quite hard. Anyways, I look forward to seeing this project develop, and I will certainly contribute to funding once the kickstarter is up.

Currently those of us that are doing any work toward the project are self funding. We can take the sat thru the manufacturing stages with minimal cost. The current big $ items are solar panels, rad hard CPU, and Launch. After we have a sat in hand waiting on those 3 items we will go for some kind of fundraising project.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

if this is serious i would like to help with the radio section VHF is not a good choice we wouldnt be able to comunicatiate so i suggest using HF or something like that and some BIG antennas and other satellites to relay the info

and if you gave me the time and the money i could proberbly make the shell can you send me the requirements for it please?

( A lot more discussion here: http://forums.mossat.org )

Experiment

We are still working out details, but the most likely option is growing moss in hypogravity. A lot of experiments have been conducted on plant growth in hypergravity, and a number of experiments in microgravity have been conducted on the space stations. However, no experimental data is available for the 0g - 1g range. Certain mosses have very strong response to gravity, and there is interest in scientific community in obtaining some real data on that.

It wouldn't be a huge contribution, but it would be something entirely unique that will result in some publications. Unfortunately, none of the people actively involved in this program are experts in the field. Hopefully, that will change.

I'm a biologist, as it happens.

@mattssheep4, We have been in something of a lull for a while now, but are looking further into how exactly to do the moss experiment. If you have time, and interest, looking over our discussion on the mossat.org forum, and giving comment either here or there, could be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Cool. Doing actual science.

Maybe paint a kerbal on it, then? Please? Pleeeease?

Hey, that paint won't pay for it's ride!

Just kidding :D I hope it will be, if not big, at least small publicity stunt. What other game community sent a satellite to space?

Edited by viktor19
Ministry of Grammar sent a warning

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.