• Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

has anyone considered this for your cpu needs?

dual core, lots of build in ram, low power consumption and cheap (now only $25)

i havent had a chance to search thru the whole thread so I'm sorry if it has been suggested before...

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/rocket-launch-onboard-pi/

Edited by Uthgood
additional info

The big discussion we used to have regarding a processor was if we wanted to go cheap (a Pi, or an android phone). Something that statistically speaking SHOULD last the length of the mission (radiation eventually kills the computer) or if we'd want to design for a $1,300 processor that is rad-hardened. It would quite suck to put it up there and have the first high energy strike (they tend to average one every 3-5 days or so I believe) kill the whole thing.

I posted on the linked forums, but this is an awesome idea. I'm willing to donate time and money.

Is this planned to be a single, standalone mission? Or is there a secondary mission planned? For example, the Phobos idea is brilliant.

We pretty much cannot do the Phobos thing at this time, part of that is that we have yet to construct a single cubesat at all, and additionally we have no engine that could get us to where we'd need to go even assuming the best case aided ascent from our parent rocket. And unfortunately no, we cannot get one of the NASA cubesat slots for the next Mars mission, they are pretty much already snagged.

Rearding the Raspberry Pi:We had indeed considered it, as it does appear a viable option. There was some suggestion that it may be overpowered for our needs, but currently it seems to be the reference computer. Radiation is another issue to consider.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, If this is going to work, we will need:

Various Engineers,

Biologists (If you're going to do moss experiments),

Chemists,

Physicists,

Mathematicians,

And Computer Scientists/Engineers/Programmers

I think that if we can figure out 1. A reasonable time frame, 2. Where we will build, 3. How we can get enough Funding (I know you guys are considering Kickstarter), 4. The right materials, 5. How the spacecraft will get into space, 6. How we will work as a team and not do our own thing, 7. A team leader, and 8. Have I mentioned the fact we will need $100-500k in order to build it? We CAN do this. But it will need a lot of work. Other than that, THIS IS AWESOME!!! I'm only a teenager, so I'm not the best person to be suggesting how we will be constructing a spacecraft, but I hope I can help you guys do this awesome project. Also, I vote on the Phobos lander, but I think it will require 3-5 CubeSat units in order to work, And may I suggest Electrostatic Ion thrusters using Argon propellent, and a 4-panel solar array to power the thruster and CubeSat? And yes, I know I got here late, so I don't know if this was mentioned before. :)

Edited by Spaceception

• 4 weeks later...
Did you guys see this?

[quote]United Launch Alliance (ULA) will begin adding a cubesat dispenser on to its Atlas V missions from 2017, allowing for the launch of up to 24 cubesats alongside its primary mission payload[/quote]

[url=http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/11/free-cubesat-rideshares-offered-ula-atlas-v-launches/]Free CubeSat rideshares offered by ULA for Atlas V launches[/url]

On 11/19/2015, 9:47:07, Meithan said:

Did you guys see this?

Free CubeSat rideshares offered by ULA for Atlas V launches

United Launch Alliance (ULA) will begin adding a cubesat dispenser on to its Atlas V missions from 2017, allowing for the launch of up to 24 cubesats alongside its primary mission payload

and this was announced today, for later this week (and some great engine pics on the site as well) https://astro-pi.org/get-involved/watch-the-launch/

On 11/23/2015, 6:16:52, More Boosters said:

Why is the poll closed? There's still time yet, no? Or did you guys decide on a Phobos mission already?

Oh well might as well visit the poor thing before it gets rekt.

We've since changed a lot. The mission is indeed a LEO moss experiment. You can visit our forums at http://forum.mossat.org to learn more.

16 hours ago, tmccreight651 said:

we should start brainstorming names, im thinking Jebsat-1

It has already been given a name, Mossat. See above to visit our forums and read about our mission. :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.