• Sun-Earth L1
    • Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

Superb idea. I can't help with expertise, but I can contribute a little cash.

With this being a KSP community endeavour, I think the mission needs to be as kerbal as possible. So, a huge chance of dramatic failure, and possibly explosions....

Okay, so with the image posted a few pages back, we have a basic idea of what the cubesat should look like. I recommend putting sensors and fuel in the middle module with the computer in the front module. Also, why not mount the solar panels straight (not at a downwards angle) and on the middle module? We could therefore attach landing legs on the bottom module.

EDIT: If we go for Phobos landing without return, we could count the mission as a research mission and send some scientific data to NASA, therefore hopefully earning us a free ride!

Edited by FCISuperGuy

I still think we should do a mission in LEO before we try anything bigger so people will be more likely to fund and support us. I would be more likely to fund a mission on kickstarter if the people doing it already had experience with stuff in space even if its only LEO. It would also give us a chance to figure stuff out and learn about how we should do things. It wouldn't be a big loss either if something broke.

My thoughts exactly. It would let us test a few different ways of navigating space and how we would get our bearings. We could get a few pictures send some data and deorbit it or wait for it to decay and then we could start funding and planning for our next mission.

Very true. We could prove pretty much all operational hardware (sans experiments and some nonessential sensors) in that flight, then put all of that proven hardware into a similar configuration on the Phobos flight.

EDIT: I've got names! Why not call the first one KommunitySat 1 and the second one KommunitySat 2 - Phobos?

Edited by FCISuperGuy

I think we should name the second one that leaves the Earth-Moon system explorer or adventurer. Something that reflects its goal of leaving the SOI of Earth and doing a flyby of another body.

Is it possible to do a Phobos sample return-ish? Using BRFIT-3 and 2 kg propellant in a 10 kg cubesat, we could achieve 6.1 km/s delta V, allowing it to land ,grab a sample, and return it to Earth's orbit. I don't know if that is useful or not, or if it have enough TWR to even land

Is it possible to do a Phobos sample return-ish? Using BRFIT-3 and 2 kg propellant in a 10 kg cubesat, we could achieve 6.1 km/s delta V, allowing it to land ,grab a sample, and return it to Earth's orbit. I don't know if that is useful or not, or if it have enough TWR to even land

I don't think so. Besides the engines, we'll need sensors to monitor the ship, at least 1 processing unit (if not 2, as I recommend to even the processing load), solar panels, landing legs and most likely scientific equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never heard of a 10 kg cubesat. The largest I know of would be a 6U.

He probably meant that the cubesat weighs 10kg AFTER adding on all necessary equipment.

Assuming that the ship will weigh about 20kg full and 15kg empty, and using the BRFIT-3's optimum ISP of 2500, the max D/V is about 7050m/s according to my calculations, well over enough for a Phobos insertion and even a return to Earth orbit.

But it wouldn't have enough TWR.

A BRIFT-7 has a 11mN of Thrust (BRIFT-3 has 1.6mN). With a TWR barely above 1 the Cubesat's mass would need to be less than 2kgs, wich would be impratical, unless we had a rocket to get it out of the ground.

A BRIFT-7 has a 11mN of Thrust (BRIFT-3 has 1.6mN). With a TWR barely above 1 the Cubesat's mass would need to be less than 2kgs, wich would be impratical, unless we had a rocket to get it out of the ground.

True, so... Orbiter, people?

If we can get 7 km/s of delta v I think we should send something to the outer solar system like Jupiter or Saturn. A Mars orbiter would be pretty cool too. If we do two missions a moon flyby is a must.

If we can get 7 km/s of delta v I think we should send something to the outer solar system like Jupiter or Saturn. A Mars orbiter would be pretty cool too. If we do two missions a moon flyby is a must.

As I said, it was an estimate and an estimate only. The delta-v, depending on conditions, can range anywhere from 4-7 km/s. And remember that in the outer solar system, we can't use the ion propulsion system.

Is that a TWR on Earth? because I really don't see that being possible on Phobos, I mean it has like 10% of GILLY's gravity!

I vote for orbiter and mapping the entire surface. If the craft is still functional after we map the surface we can land it.

I agree with that. Though I really want to land on Phobos directly, i guess there's nothing wrong with it orbiting and then landing.

EDIT: Also, FCISuperGuy, I think earlier you said that you were making the Phobos lander in KSP RSS, how's that going?

Edited by Nicholander

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.