• Sun-Earth L1
    • Sun-Earth L2
    • Venus Capture
    • Mars Capture
    • Phobos Mission
    • Jupiter Moons Mission
    • Saturn Moons Mission
    • Interstellar Space

All of my work is in Mathematica Notebook on a hard drive in a computer packed in a box loaded on a truck somewhere between Pittsburgh, PA and San Jose, CA. But I expect it here soon.

Before I had to stop for the move, I still had a mistake in one of the uglier EoMs. But parts that worked, showed good promise. It is definitely going to work better than integrating forces. I will convert it to C++ code as soon as I fix the problem and equations for remaining degree of freedom.

I am not entirely sure, since we do not have a full list of parts we need. But we should be able to assemble the frame and magnetotorque coils. I suspect we will custom-order PCB and some frame parts. Assembly can be carried out by us, since I do not expect need for micro-soldering or having to worry about dust to the point where we need a clean room. (A laminar flow desk with some filters might be a good idea, however.)

There are also some on-board systems that can be assembled. Amps for driving coils, frequency generators, et cetera. If we go with VHF transceiver over Ham, we can probably build that. For S-band, we will need a transceiver box, but we can still use custom circuit for sub-carrier.

The "buy" list is basically everything else. Solar panels, batteries, CPU, sensors, cameras, GPS, memory, and assorted radio components. Most of it is cheap, though. Solar batteries are the only item that is very expensive. Though, as agreed earlier, we will get rad-hard CPU and memory if we can afford it.

What I would do is come up with a specific mission for our cubesat that we can start working off. Based on that, next would be to develop a series of hard specifications, and soft specifications. The hard specs would be things that are absolutely crucial to the mission we choose, and as such should never be changed. The soft specs are things that are important, but can be changed if absolutely necessary. Those would be the first two things that I would do starting out on a new design.

So the first question is, what, exactly, is our first cubesat's mission? I'll make a doc for this soonish.

Is there a google drive folder I can dump the doc in?

Edited by LordQ

Uh... we already figured that out, it's going to be a 1U with one half of it having a pressurized section with some moss, and the other will have the other systems like comms and the MPU. It will also spin, creating artificial gravity for the plants, though it would be Moon or Mars gravity, which we can use to study how plants would act in those sub-Earth gravity conditions.

Uh... we already figured that out, it's going to be a 1U with one half of it having a pressurized section with some moss, and the other will have the other systems like comms and the MPU. It will also spin, creating artificial gravity for the plants, though it would be Moon or Mars gravity, which we can use to study how plants would act in those sub-Earth gravity conditions.

Yep, I know. It needs to be recorded somewhere for officialness. The specifications especially will require quite a bit of thought. We don't want to put a spec in that unnecessarily restricts us.

Edited by LordQ

Alright, work on the Website has commenced, and I am in the process of adding information. K^2, if you want to PM me to work out what you want on the page, go ahead. I'm just guessing at what should be on there, so any imput from you would be gladly accepted.

Now, my goals for this website, are to present all the necessary information about this project at one place, instead of spread out across 104 pages of forums, have an official place for people to donate to, including our kickstarter, and as a better place for the core group to discuss plans and timelines and all that good stuff. Any suggestions on anything else that should be included? This isn't all, but I wanna know what you guys think should be on there. Especially from you, K^2.

Yep, I know. It needs to be recorded somewhere for officialness. The specifications especially will require quite a bit of thought. We don't want to put a spec in that unnecessarily restricts us.
Perhaps you could start making something about the systems part of our CubeSat, with the MPU, comms systems, batterys, etc. Since Mazon Del is still waiting for a reply from Luis.

This is going to go on the website, another advantage of having one. An organized center for displaying the information. :)

Perhaps you could start making something about the systems part of our CubeSat, with the MPU, comms systems, batterys, etc. Since Mazon Del is still waiting for a reply from Luis.

I could definitely try and find some time for that. I've always shied away from electronics and systems, but this might be a good opportunity to gain some expertise in it. I'm guessing there isn't a folder for this yet, so I'll just make the doc on my own drive. I'll transfer it around as necessary once we get a folder.

This is going to go on the website, another advantage of having one. An organized center for displaying the information. :)

Ooh, ninjaed. I suppose it will go there in the end, but we will have to think of them first, hehe.

Edited by LordQ

I could definitely try and find some time for that. I've always shied away from electronics and systems, but this might be a good opportunity to gain some expertise in it. I'm guessing there isn't a folder for this yet, so I'll just make the doc on my own drive. I'll transfer it around as necessary once we get a folder.

Ooh, ninjaed. I suppose it will go there in the end, but we will have to think of them first, hehe.

Yeah, I would actually really appreciate it if you organized the information for me to put on the website. I have to edit the website, and hunting through the forums for information will just take more time.

Ah, good Endersmens! Hmm... Also, does anyone know any 3D artists? Sorry if it's a bit vague, but it'd REALLY make the website (And our KickStarter in the future) look better, and example would be like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/188428/photo-main.jpg?1397782934

Maybe we could ask Nassault.

I'm starting to dabble in it. :) Like right now, I'm putting in a section about the phases of the projects, I'm calling right now phase I, planning and preparations. And I figured a good picture for the phase would be a cube cardboard box. So i'm tinkering with that right now. (downloading photoshop, and GIMP 2)

Ah, good. When do you think you'll have something done which you can show us? Also, I've now for some reason started wondering on what shape the pressurized area will be...

Well, I could show you the template of the website. There's not much info yet, and it's NO WHERE CLOSE to completion trust me. But you could see the layout of it and what it'll sort of look like. I can take some screenies if you like

Ah, good Endersmens! Hmm... Also, does anyone know any 3D artists? Sorry if it's a bit vague, but it'd REALLY make the website (And our KickStarter in the future) look better, and example would be like this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksr/projects/188428/photo-main.jpg?1397782934

Maybe we could ask Nassault.

A nice art like what's pictured should pop out of any CAD package we use, so making something like that shouldn't be too difficult.

Hooray for mobile version! (Well. I still use the full site) I'm gonna keep tabs on this till I get home. So I don't miss anything. I should be back home, and able to post the screenshots in 2 hours or so. (No promises. Women+shopping=lots of time+lots of money spent. You know. :P )

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.