The most expensive part

smart013

If the Nuclear Engine ends up costing a whole lot, it could actually become relevant to re-use old transfer-stages, and refuel them, or bring them back down to Kerbin on chutes. Even if they were still in a window of "I can afford to dump this" I will probably do that, just for the challenge.

I designed nearly all my interplanetary ships in such way. Main engines (nuclear), that part goes around the Kerbol-System alot, and of course Lander and/or special stages. All docked together via senior ports. works pretty well, if you use tankers placed around the routes.

After the roundtrip back to kerbin, Kerbals usually take a taxi-ship to KSC and the Engine stage gets refueled.

I designed nearly all my interplanetary ships in such way. Main engines (nuclear), that part goes around the Kerbol-System alot, and of course Lander and/or special stages. All docked together via senior ports. works pretty well, if you use tankers placed around the routes.

After the roundtrip back to kerbin, Kerbals usually take a taxi-ship to KSC and the Engine stage gets refueled.

Reusing the interplanetary motherships also save you the launch costs of new ones, Landers and fuel is lighter.

This will be more relevant with contracts as you will be doing multiple trips.

Which of Cupcake's models is this? I'd like to use it once 0.24 comes out. Oh, and thanks for mentioning this. I've always liked Cupcake's work but I never tried it, so I probably will be using them in First Contract. :)

his latest SSTI he went to duna and back with

its incredible

all stock parts also

I think the LV-N will likely be one of the most expensive parts.

As far as jets, I don't think they should be expensive. I feel like the difficulty of creating a useful SSTO more than makes up for any gains from reuseability. Returning from orbit and landing on the runway isn't a trivial task, especially when compared to a simple splash down with parachutes.

Played around with plane SSTO a bit now and their main bonus is very low fuel use, downside is that they are pretty inflexible. If you want to expand capacities you have to redesign it, not enough to do the moar boosters thing.

However it might also be me having problems building a large spaceplane

To clear up the debris recovery stuff...4kbShort had stated in his video that debris was NOT recoverable for funds originally. It now states (I made this same mistake LethalDose) around 28minutes in a Youtube overlay that he (4kb) was mistaken and you may actually get funds back for debris, but it just doesn't show up in the popup window.

This seems like it almost may be a bug, as the FAQ states clearly debris isn't recoverable for now, and launch clamps would be considered debris. So we may see this patched out.

edit: but yeah, launch clamps, which have zero chance of recovery at 5000 a shot? that's 10000 minimum for a functional support system, 20000 for a good one. geez

edit: but yeah, launch clamps, which have zero chance of recovery at 5000 a shot? that's 10000 minimum for a functional support system, 20000 for a good one. geez

That's a very good point. However, since 0.23.5, you don't really need launch clamps at all, unless you want them for maintaining energy while time accelerating (there's alternatives to that though).

I know of several people who did that prior to 0.23.5 as well, even for large launches (500+ tons). I was too chicken myself to do that prior to ARM though :)

It would be nice to get clarification on debris recovery though. If you can simply recover them (especially if they auto-recover when you re-launch), it becomes less of an issue..

I think people overestimate the difficulty of creating SSTO / SST(Wherever) spaceplanes.

I'd say its harder to just build a successful plane (that behaves like a real one anyway) moreso than it is to make a SSTx version.

I regularly launch ships without any launch clamps at all, including really big ones with thrust plates and asparagus staging that can lift 500 tons into LKO. As long as your struts are placed correctly (triangles are your friend) and you use editor extensions to make sure that all the stacks are the exact same length, your ship should be fine on the pad sans clamps.

To clear up the debris recovery stuff...4kbShort had stated in his video that debris was NOT recoverable for funds originally. It now states (I made this same mistake LethalDose) around 28minutes in a Youtube overlay that he (4kb) was mistaken and you may actually get funds back for debris, but it just doesn't show up in the popup window.

Well, Scott Manley also said you needed a probe core or pod on what you're recovering. He may also be mistaken.

But even if you can recover debris for $$$, given the prices we've seen for other parts, 5k for a launch clamp is just stupid. There's no way the launching rig for your rocket should cost more than your rocket.

And it doesn't matter if some people launch without them, some people do. Just because the balance isn't an issue for you because you don't use the part doesn't mean it's not an issue for those who use it appropriately.

Is there a source on clamps being $5000?

I don't have one, I assumed that the original poster did (oops?).

They're currently (in 0.23.5) "Cost: 200", which is a bit more reasonable.

Hopefully they're either cheap or (auto) recoverable... we'll have to see.

Hopefully they're either cheap or (auto) recoverable... we'll have to see.

Well, we know that debris doesn't recover funds at all (unless they changed that this week). Scott Manley's newest video also mentions that debris around the launchpad is auto-deleted now (so no more loose debris sitting around the pad when you do your next launch), and I suspect that means the clamps get removed rather quickly now.

I suppose you could put probe-cores on your clamps, and sitting at the pad, they'd have 100% recovery.

Scott Manley's newest video also mentions that debris around the launchpad is auto-deleted now (so no more loose debris sitting around the pad when you do your next launch)

:(

Crap. I loved to look around the KSP and see all the wrecks from my failed flights :(