What modders had early access?

michaelphoenix22

I think all moderators (at least, those over 18 years old) have the option to get early access if they so choose.

You know what he meant...

On the whole I think squad should release early access to the general public before the official release

Yes, I do. My post was a legitimate answer to the question: Several moderators also make mods, and they had the option for early access.

Then please clarify that point, from my perspective you kinda of sounded like a smart***, no offense.

I think all moderators (at least, those over 18 years old) have the option to get early access if they so choose.

All moderators /have/ to be over 18 years of age. But yes, we do have experimentals access.

Anyway, I don't think the modders have to hide it, though I'd rather leave it to them to talk about it.

Also, can we not get to coloured language, even through the filter? Everyone chill a bit.

On the whole I think squad should release early access to the general public before the official release

I, as well as many others would disagree. I mean technically, the game is sort of "early access" to the general public, although I know you mean early access to the updates. Problem with that is the shear number of bug reports (most of which would not be very clear/helpful at all). By releasing it to just a small number of people it's much easier to track bugs, and control the conditions of the testing so it's easier to track down the bugs.

Also, I've been on a testing "team" for a FB pirate type game where they opened up a testing server to around 1000-4000 players, and despite the fact that they clearly stated that it was a testing environment and that there might be bugs, and progress made in the testing server would not transfer to the live game, people still complained that progress wouldn't be transferred and that conditions were not the same as what was in the real game (as they tweaked it to put focus on the main area of what they were testing).

I, as well as many others would disagree. I mean technically, the game is sort of "early access" to the general public, although I know you mean early access to the updates. Problem with that is the shear number of bug reports (most of which would not be very clear/helpful at all). By releasing it to just a small number of people it's much easier to track bugs, and control the conditions of the testing so it's easier to track down the bugs.

While I totally agree with the "easier to track bugs" concept (the general layperson makes TERRIBLE bug reports, with poor details and duplication and reporting features as bugs etc), there's the flip side of that coin: Bugs go unfound.

I actually got burned by that Science eating bug for the initial 0.23.5 release (hooray for backups though!). I would imagine that having more people examining the experimental would reduce the chance of bugs like that going unnoticed (the OSS philosophy).

There's got to be some way to get a handle on the layperson-bug-report problem that doesn't involve simply ignoring those bug reports -- like a reputation system or.. something. Unfortunately that's not my area of expertise, as I've only done software development for internal systems, and any bug reports come from other software engineers. Or management. Well.. I guess management counts as 'general layperson'.... :P

You know what he meant...

Early access to an early access game - that's rich :)

What Squad SHOULD do, however, is to put a technical changelist a week before update release. Modders need to know in advance what will be changed and how these changes will affect their works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.