0.24 landing parts with chutes?

Sigma117

Since the FAQ states you can't get money back from things that have fallen past 2.5km, I want to know if something else would be a feasible idea.

Would the game be able to recognise that a part of X mass needs Y chute(s) to land safely, and then automatically give some funds (Maybe not the full amount you'd get for following it since landing issues can happen with any amount of chutes) based on the parts 'saved' without having to follow them down?

Probably could mod that in, although many mods extended the load distance. Best bet in my opinion would be to (if your desperate for refund) get into LKO with periapsis around 55km, ditch boosters. Boost space craft to stable orbit then follow boosters down. They should remain close enough to stay together during decent... maybe.

Probably could mod that in, although many mods extended the load distance. Best bet in my opinion would be to (if your desperate for refund) get into LKO with periapsis around 55km, ditch boosters. Boost space craft to stable orbit then follow boosters down. They should remain close enough to stay together during decent... maybe.

They'd get further than 2.5km away while you get into orbit though. Unless the game doesn't count 55km as in atmos.

They'd get further than 2.5km away while you get into orbit though. Unless the game doesn't count 55km as in atmos.

It does not. Above 22 km or so (0.01 atm), on-rails parts ignore atmospheric drag; below, they are removed.

Currently my mod, Kerbal Construction Time, and Mission Controller Extended have behavior similar to this, where (in the case of KCT) it checks parachutes vs mass, or in the case of MCE it checks parachutes or engines+fuel levels. I plan on extending that to funds recovery based on where the part would land (assuming that's easy enough to do) in the case of KCT. With that said, I'm sure someone will make a standalone mod for it, as there is now a purpose to reusable vessels in the stock game (and frankly, it's not that hard to implement).

Currently my mod, Kerbal Construction Time, and Mission Controller Extended have behavior similar to this, where (in the case of KCT) it checks parachutes vs mass, or in the case of MCE it checks parachutes or engines+fuel levels. I plan on extending that to funds recovery based on where the part would land (assuming that's easy enough to do) in the case of KCT. With that said, I'm sure someone will make a standalone mod for it, as there is now a purpose to reusable vessels in the stock game (and frankly, it's not that hard to implement).

Mechjeb can calculate where parachutes will land, so it's by no means impossible.

What I mean is to have your space craft with a apoapsis over 70km and a peri at 55. The boosters if ditched at this pointed would stay close to one another. you could boost your craft into a stable orbit and switch back to booster 1 (with booster 2 a few meters away ) and time warp in. If they have the same mass and same chutes they will fall side by side (in theory)

If they have the same mass and same chutes they will fall side by side (in theory)

The only problem with this is most likely they have been forced apart by a decoupling force, and if radial, they will continuously (slowly but surely) float away from each other. Not only that, but there would be small inconsistencies of one hitting thicker atmosphere before the other, resulting in one slowing down at a different rate than the other, I believe.

Obviously this means SSTO's are now the new meta

However an rocket SSTO uses twice a much fuel and is pretty dependent on endgame science.

Plane ssto don't use much fuel but is harder to use and even harder to scale up.

The only problem with this is most likely they have been forced apart by a decoupling force, and if radial, they will continuously (slowly but surely) float away from each other. Not only that, but there would be small inconsistencies of one hitting thicker atmosphere before the other, resulting in one slowing down at a different rate than the other, I believe.

Strutting the boosters to the main stage will prevent the parts from drifting on radial separation

Won't work. Anything suborbital, over 2.5km away and at over 0.01 atm of pressure will be deleted, probe core or otherwise.

Yes, the only thing I have dropped on launch who had survived is rocket boosters for spaceplanes. 8-12 seperatrons on a grinder segment, decopler and parachute.

They survives as they are dropped at very low attitude,

You can not recover trashcans boosters from rockets as they will be dropped over a kilometer up and you will be 2.5 up before they reach ground.

You might be able to recover larger stuff dropped from planes if dropped just after liftoff.

the other option is to go very high, if you do the last 5-800 m/s with upper stage you should be able to switch back to first stage.

Finally you have the option to recover transfer stages, something who take you out to Mun just require a small nudge to return, however it might be smarter to just use a droptank for the lander engine here or use an reusable tug you refill.

However an rocket SSTO uses twice a much fuel and is pretty dependent on endgame science.

Plane ssto don't use much fuel but is harder to use and even harder to scale up.

It will be interesting to see what Squad has done to encourage the use of rockets.

Made jet engines very expensive, taking into account that their actual isp is double the listed isp (maybe they have fixed that bug)?

It will be interesting to see what Squad has done to encourage the use of rockets.

Made jet engines very expensive, taking into account that their actual isp is double the listed isp (maybe they have fixed that bug)?

I don't think they need to do much to encourage rockets. They are much easier to use and the turbojets are afair rather late in the techtree. Depends on how they rebalanced the tree, though.

Rapier engines are indeed extremly expensive. They are currently the most expensive part in the game together with KS-25 engines.

Edited by Temeter

Exactly. Conventional rockets are cheap, easy to use and far more versatile than any SSTO or other reusable vehicle made with stock parts. And contracts give you enough money to not force reusability on people.

Pretty much if the Recyle spent parts are not in .24. Then I will keep the system that I have in MCE after I update it to .24. So you will be able to AutoRecycle Spent parts if you have enough parachutes and also be able to do Rocket Assisted landings with spent parts. Its all automatic and done with calculations so as long as your Spent Stage passes these calculations you will get money back.

So far this is how it works in MCE .72.

1. AutoStage Recyle with parachutes. As long as the part passes the 70 Drag per ton you will get money back for that stage. Works for both Vanilla Parachutes and RealChutes. When I finalize a .24 version of MCE I will most likely add a calculator in the editor for you can get the right amount of drag per ton for your stages.

2. You can also do a Rocket Assisted landing by makeing sure you spent stage has at least a rocket engine, 500 DV left for that stage and a TWR of 1.5 or more. No parachutes needed. When the stage passes the test you will get a message that you rocket stage has completed a Rocket Assisted landing and will get a payment back for the recovery of the vessel.

The payouts will be a little lower I think then what KSP gives you for Returing Rockets with the Recover button, but your still getting some of your cost back. Of course like most things in MCE all this stuff can be edited by you to your hearts content to make it more the way you want it.

Might take me a little bit to get MCE new version out after release because I have a lot of Gutting of the Code to do (getting rid of MCE missions, contracts, save files) and getting everything to work with the new KSP system. Also converting all MCE contracts to the new KSP contracts. Going to take a few weeks. But It will get there.

Also will be keeping the current system of being charged for Hire your kerbals. And maybe a new rank system.

But have to get my hands of .24 for I can see what needs to be done first. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.