[WIP] Pack-Rat Modular Rover

RoverDude

Just because I'm horrible at making Rovers (despite my username), and I felt we needed a nice, modular, Apollo-inspired Rover in the game.

Almost done, just need to wrap up the science bits (the Hasselblad data camera gives science, and the Sci-Pak storage boxes are science containers).

In the VAB

i4TrdJT.png?1

And on the mun!

hoYGnsR.png?1

Here's a video showing assembly. Everything snaps - no fiddling with colliders or surface attachment.

Surprisingly, it handled beautifully straight out of the VAB :)

The longer term plan is a garage for it (probably 2.5m form factor), coupled with a more efficient mobile lab that operates on the ground only, and a mechanic where the player starts at their mobile lab/rover base and gets better science the further away they collect certain (new) experiments before returnint to the mobile base, actually encouraging 'rovering'.

Way cool! I like it alot! Any chance to a make a KAS box as well with the same texture as the Sci-Boxes? that way you can mix and match (say have 2 of each?)

Yes, a KAS box would go well with this.

Just give it a different part config and slightly modded texture.

Way cool! I like it alot! Any chance to a make a KAS box as well with the same texture as the Sci-Boxes? that way you can mix and match (say have 2 of each?)
Yes, a KAS box would go well with this.

Just give it a different part config and slightly modded texture.

Yes, I will probably make a few boxes - LS, batteries, KAS, etc (they also need some love in the form of normal maps) - and to get all meta, the intent is for the entire thing to be assembleable via KAS :)

it looks fun :) good job RoverDude. Does the fenders use convex collider(s) ?

No collider on the fenders, just simple box colliders around the larger bits.

How can the boxes "Store" Science? I've never seen that done before...

(as a BTW-I am getting this as soon as it comes out)

Store experiments just like a command pod.

RoverDude, your stuff in the last few weeks has been totally awesome. Kudos!

Thanks!

Nicely designed :)

So if i'm right, we can make a version with 6 seats or put KAS boxes ?

Any idea of future parts other than boxes ? (like a small pressurize compartment ?)

Correct - the nodes are for whatever you want. Although I think a pressurized compartment would have to be a four-times sized module . The other parts will be KAS containers and life support. Beyond that, it's an exercise in creativity for the user

WANT WANT WANT also i see that you included an rtg which is a nice feature also (this is maybe too soon though) will you add other options for the boxes like KAS containers or empty fuel canisters?

Yes, in the works - though I am focusing on getting the core stuff out there first.

More modular stuff, esp awesome beacuse we need more rover parts! Great work indeeed

WANT WANT WANT also i see that you included an rtg which is a nice feature also (this is maybe too soon though) will you add other options for the boxes like KAS containers or empty fuel canisters?
More modular stuff, esp awesome beacuse we need more rover parts! Great work indeeed
This is something really nice. Cant wait for garage/skycrane.

Btw, some foldable rover, like bobcats lrv woudl be nice too!

Link? Not familiar with the LRV. Bear in mind this little guy will be KAS-assembleable from parts in containers :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.