[1.0] LCARS Mark II - Dev and Support - Beta Release (29.04.2015)

philotical

My DEV version does work in .24, .24.1 and 24.2

I haven't tested Beta6 - but the core is unchanged - my dev has additional stuff not changed stuff - so I assume your problem is related to something else..

I have no issues other than a constantly unstable 24 plus constantly 3GB of ram usage on a clean install with no mods other than LCARS..

I'm not sure why Squad would bother to publish a 32bit version - .24 uses so much RAM, no 32bit machine can run this game.

mjy - can you check the logs please?

Here are some screenshots of my newly created custom shuttle pod in .24.2:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This shuttle will be part of the plugin download, so everyone can start flying right away..

It has a door animation, is completely walkable and can be filled either with seats or with tanks or with KAS boxes or what ever you want.

you could also park a rover inside..

my engine is overheating , cfg, where do I fix it lol, overheat and explode???

Here:

https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/wiki/Subsystem:-Power-System#generator-management

Be carefull: You can overheat the ship if you set your EC-generator too high. This will end in an explosion after a while. You will be able to see the current heat status in the gui.

Move the slider down until the Overheat Warning disappears..

That will solve the issue..

To prevent this in the first place, set your EC-Generator in cfg to a rate of 80'000 as default..

Overheating starts at a rate of 580'000 EC..

The correct cfg for EC looks like this:

MODULE
{
name = ModuleGenerator
isAlwaysActive = true
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
rate = 80000
}
}

RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 50000000
maxAmount = 50000000
}

HTH

back , ty will try it , yes had that set to a older cfg, not sure why, anyway, it seems to stop it from blowing up, now got to figure out why it isn`t moving , nothing to do with lcars, just cfg pitch I think and weight.

Edited by mjy

not sure why you would say that.

What exactly does your impulse do?

Your thread lacks a descent explanation, video or anything..

Does it just produce EC? Does it produce thrust, and in what way.

What does it do?

Well - no matter what it does - KSP is big enough for both mods..

Don't worry..

Well, my Impulse drive set eats a custom nuclear fuel and produces TONS of thrust. In essence it is a simple engine edit with a new model.

Well, my Impulse drive set eats a custom nuclear fuel and produces TONS of thrust. In essence it is a simple engine edit with a new model.

Yes, I've tested it once in meanwhile..

Good ol' overpowered mods we both made lol

Let me guess - since it's not a "real" plasma engine, the star trek calvinists over at KSPI call you a heretic too hahaha

Someone even through me out of some kind of star trek fan club because my idea of impulse does not involve a thruster on the back of the ship.

I just said - well, how shall it start vertically..

..but that wasn't convincing enough for them..

I hope you don't mind me using the same name - but I really think KSP is big enough for redundant technology choices..

Happy modelling..

well I got modeling,unity and texturing, but got not much exp in ksp cfg,etc :) let me know if u got any idea , I can make stuff, when I get my starbase going, learning a lot because of it.

Beta 7 is online!

Be warned, you MUST remove the previouse version before installing this one.

https://github.com/philotical/StarTrekImpulseDrive/blob/master/release%20versions/LCARS-Beta7-04.08.2014.zip?raw=true

This download contains a Vessel named "Custom Shuttle Pod". It's one part and has 3 seats.

It uses the sfr plugin for internals - the plugin is included in the download.

It has a load of fixed bugs, new features and a lot of consolidation of previouse features..

The shuttle bay does not work by now and is deactivated because of that.

Still having some issues with positioning and finding the right unity configuration for the parts..

Please be kind enough to report bugs and give some feedback.

Thanks..

ggggreat, not sure why my spacebase wasn`t working with the last pluging, alone it was, will try this one and might of been the cfg, will try it out

I think so..

my DS9 blew up all over the place at first too - allways check the logs - stuff like

"Too many polygones..." - or "..trigger must both be activated" and stuff appeared..

when I got rid of all those unusual messages, the crashes ended..

You are officially allowed now to say "LCARS lags" - it has so many subclasses now, it is definately not lightweight anymore..

However - since .24, KSP eats up more than 2.7GB RAM at startup with a clean modless install.

and it lags even without any kind of mods in my gamedata..

no matter if 64 or 32bit version - .24 was a bad update concerning game performance..

Each time I start KSP, all other apps on my PC freez to coma until I close the game..

That wasn't like this in .23..

I hope this is only a temporary thing - if this doesn't get better in 25, or maybe even get worse, I might no longer be able to develop for KSP..

I can't close my IDE each time I open the game.

Unity has to go allready - the game crashes if unity is running in the background - that was still possible in .23.5 however..

oh well..

Currently slowed developpment on the code and focussing more on parts..

In essence - a big ship, some modular star ship parts and a deadly IonStorm that can kill you or let you pass depending on your piloting skills..!

That thing will be fun - I promise..

on a side note:

I've added dozens of new features to Beta7 and received not one single feedback note..

Without mjy this thread would be dead..

This can severly hurt my motivation as much as it would hurt all other modders motivation..

Is LCARS truly and completely, an irrelevant add-on that no one really cares about, except me?

Not that I'm losing sleep over it - but it's a valid question as it stands.

*nervousely-scratching-on-his-space-helmet*

Here some random dev shots:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Great mod but in the next update for lcars can you get it to work in the new career mode cause my main save file is in career mode if it is then i must off installed it wrong.

Hey Philotical (and everyone involved in this plugin), I'm not really one for posting but I've been lurking here for a while. I'd like to assure you that your mod is far from irrelevant; I love it and use it a lot. I'm having a blast so far, it's really really fun.

So thank you for all the time and effort you put into this, it is definitely appreciated. I'll be sure to show more love from now on if you need motivation. I'm sure I'm not the only one loving this!

For now I'm trying to find ways to convey big parts to start colonizing the system using your plugin and KSPI. I love Voyager, but it's not much of a cargo ship. So I'm trying to find parts to build one myself; unfortunately, my computer doesn't like big ships with more than 150 parts.

I've tried using the Daedalus from Mjy, but I can't seem to fly it; SAS tries its best to slam it into the ground somehow as it spins out of control. I'm not much of a cfg editor so I pretty much gave up. It's too bad, it's a really nice looking ship.

Concerning the new features of LCARS, I haven't tried the cargo bay yet, might make Voyager capable of delivering bases. I'll try it out. The crew quartiers are definitely a most welcomed addition. It makes Voyager a great rescue craft!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone involved in this. This plugin is amazing. :)

Edit: That ion storm looks menacing. I'm thrilled about the new parts already!

Ok, this mod is really weird of the "slow to save". Basically, it saves properly, but when you go to launch another craft, its there but invisable, until you crash into it- then it appears. Then suddenly, the controls react VIOLENTLY. As seen 50 minutes into this livestream:

hi,well this is one great pluging, one of the best, best way to use it if u want both is use it just to take off and land, makes it fun, but if u got a huge ship as Daedalus[ sas with the ship turning is prob one of the parts on it added is not centered, will look into it, as w/o parts and just the ship alone it works great. but not sure about the parts added to Daedalus. more testing is needed.

yes not many like to post, many just reads and closed post. it has always been the same with elderscroll games, reason I didn`t bother not making anymore post, I see its still the same, u will see the same people posting in the same post often, shame its needed to add needed input, feedback

test for 24.2, lcars is as I see it, I drop a kerbal from spaceship, he seems lock into the same spot next to ship as the input of the pluging, like stuff he can do was all weird, I moved him around and then jump and he blew up lol, I had trouble stoping the spaceship, tested it with many ships, so I`m not using 24.2 no more I`ll just use 23.5, its a nice build that was clean up nicely, they screwed up 24, then tried to fix 24.2 it and it didn`t work??. to many crash for no reason, will use 25 when it comes out.

I`m testing older lcars version to see if its works with 23.5 as I use sandbox anyway. I had a 1000 different game built version to chose from :)

last thing how the heck did u manage a shield, does it look full on both sides??? mine is full on the inside only for my starbase???

Edited by mjy

Ok, this mod is really weird of the "slow to save". Basically, it saves properly, but when you go to launch another craft, its there but invisable, until you crash into it- then it appears. Then suddenly, the controls react VIOLENTLY. As seen 50 minutes into this livestream:

Turns out it happens with other vessels too. I have a feeling its KSO or karbonite... strange!

EDIT: Nope. It's definitley this.

Edited by The Destroyer

tried it in a new game and just the lcars and my ships ,etc and it was my starbase that was missing a texture , works great and I added just the impulse drive alone,almost no lag very nice. ready to release I think, if I went over 1 scaled it was to big

as I made it very big in 3dmax, not sure, but I only moved the scaled down and it works very nice, will leave it as it is

any way to bring my Daedalus in unity from ksp??, and wow, ksp is running at 1.6 gig with my ship mods and lcars, no other mods,that is 24.2 version

finally finish ds9

Edited by mjy

Great mod but in the next update for lcars can you get it to work in the new career mode cause my main save file is in career mode if it is then i must off installed it wrong.

Hmm - I can't see a reason why it wouldn't work - but I haven't tested this to be honest..

Situation - LCARS is a partModule..

That means it's bound to a part - if you have that part in your game, then LCARS should work too..

I will start a carrier and check it out..

can you please elaborate what exactly does not work?

Is it not present or does it bug out?

Hey Philotical (and everyone involved in this plugin), I'm not really one for posting but I've been lurking here for a while. I'd like to assure you that your mod is far from irrelevant; I love it and use it a lot. I'm having a blast so far, it's really really fun.

So thank you for all the time and effort you put into this, it is definitely appreciated. I'll be sure to show more love from now on if you need motivation. I'm sure I'm not the only one loving this!

For now I'm trying to find ways to convey big parts to start colonizing the system using your plugin and KSPI. I love Voyager, but it's not much of a cargo ship. So I'm trying to find parts to build one myself; unfortunately, my computer doesn't like big ships with more than 150 parts.

I've tried using the Daedalus from Mjy, but I can't seem to fly it; SAS tries its best to slam it into the ground somehow as it spins out of control. I'm not much of a cfg editor so I pretty much gave up. It's too bad, it's a really nice looking ship.

Concerning the new features of LCARS, I haven't tried the cargo bay yet, might make Voyager capable of delivering bases. I'll try it out. The crew quartiers are definitely a most welcomed addition. It makes Voyager a great rescue craft!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone involved in this. This plugin is amazing. :)

Edit: That ion storm looks menacing. I'm thrilled about the new parts already!

FrstWlf, thank's..

I guess that settles my question :-)

But go on, don't let me stop you - I can read those kind of posts daily and never get bored hahahah

Concerning your transportation project:

My modular star ship parts will (allready do) ofcourse include huge empty storage compartments and hangar bays..

But I'm afraid the shuttle bay subsystem is not working in Beta7 - it's in fact disabled right now in beta7

maybe in beta8 - we will see how much unity drives me crazy on this..

However - those parts can be equipped with docking ports and quantum struts and that should allow to transport all kind of stuff allready without the shuttlebay-subsystem.

Have you checked out the "Hangar"-mod that came out last week?

maybe that can help you for now - it seems he does basically the same as I intend to do..

but he was faster lol

However: I will call this plugin finished, when it's possible to use the shuttlebay and tractor beam to assemble complexe ground stations on Duna while hovering over the base.

I know it's ambitiouse and the tractor beam is far from precise enough right now - but well - it's the postulated goal I had allready quite soon after I got my first working prototype flying!

I guess if I succeed, that would make your plans much easier too - right?

Look - I was about to go to bed when I saw your post - than I made the figurative Popcorn bowl and watched it :-D

Was a long night and short sleep..

However - I will reference this clip several times to analyze the bugs you discovered..

Thank's man - highly appreciated :-D

hi,well this is one great pluging, one of the best, best way to use it if u want both is use it just to take off and land, makes it fun, but if u got a huge ship as Daedalus[ sas with the ship turning is prob one of the parts on it added is not centered, will look into it, as w/o parts and just the ship alone it works great. but not sure about the parts added to Daedalus. more testing is needed.

yes not many like to post, many just reads and closed post. it has always been the same with elderscroll games, reason I didn`t bother not making anymore post, I see its still the same, u will see the same people posting in the same post often, shame its needed to add needed input, feedback

test for 24.2, lcars is as I see it, I drop a kerbal from spaceship, he seems lock into the same spot next to ship as the input of the pluging, like stuff he can do was all weird, I moved him around and then jump and he blew up lol, I had trouble stoping the spaceship, tested it with many ships, so I`m not using 24.2 no more I`ll just use 23.5, its a nice build that was clean up nicely, they screwed up 24, then tried to fix 24.2 it and it didn`t work??. to many crash for no reason, will use 25 when it comes out.

I`m testing older lcars version to see if its works with 23.5 as I use sandbox anyway. I had a 1000 different game built version to chose from :)

last thing how the heck did u manage a shield, does it look full on both sides??? mine is full on the inside only for my starbase???

Deadalus: did you add LCARS and/or SAS to more than one part? I think what you describe could come from that..

I only used the assembled verseion and had no issues with it - it's a great ship.

24: also a strange bug - LCARS does a lot of stuff, KSP wasn't built for - and most of the stuff needs the right timing - I guess I should find ways to "wait" for things to finish before making the next..

but since KSP controlls the order of things, I need to learn more about the inner workings..

So transporting a kerbal out of the ship is everytime big time luck if it works hahah

I will keep debugging - maybe I can make it more stable..

Turns out it happens with other vessels too. I have a feeling its KSO or karbonite... strange!

EDIT: Nope. It's definitley this.

Ok - thanks - In fact, I was surprised that so much worked - usually if I use that many subsystems after each other, stuff get's weird much faster..

what helps sometimes is hitting F5 and then F9..

However - it seems KSP hates ships hanging in atmosphere with the status "Landed" - usually it spams the log with NAN numbers then..

I have no clue why this happens..

That voyager and borg cube didn't show up is a new one for me - no clue right now..

In general what happened in minute 50 and beyond is you brought the plugin to stop working right by pushing it to it's limit - from there on, the "worm" was in and no matter what you did, it got worse..

Only way to fix this is save and reload the game so all objects I do not clean up correctly are cleaned out and the plugin can start from scratch..

It's a shame that this happens - I'm working on it.

Hint: you should use the "Prograde stabilizer" you will see it flyes much better than.

Hint2: the MODNJ subsystem allows to disable the propulsion matrix independently - so you don't have to close LCARS just to use TimeWarp.

Saves a right click..

tried it in a new game and just the lcars and my ships ,etc and it was my starbase that was missing a texture , works great and I added just the impulse drive alone,almost no lag very nice. ready to release I think, if I went over 1 scaled it was to big

as I made it very big in 3dmax, not sure, but I only moved the scaled down and it works very nice, will leave it as it is

any way to bring my Daedalus in unity from ksp??, and wow, ksp is running at 1.6 gig with my ship mods and lcars, no other mods,that is 24.2 version

finally finish ds9

This is very surprising - my .24.2 loads allready up with 2.7 Private byites - the working set is lower - but private bytes is almost offending.

Do you talk aobut working set or private bytes?

I have so much lag since .24, I can't even begin to determine where it comes from..

each click in space center allready takes 8-12 seconds here..

Deadalus in unity from KSP?

not sure what you mean - you must have had it in unity or you wouldn't see it in the game.

Or did you lose your blender file?

Tell me more, I'm sure I can find a way to solve your problem..

FrstWlf, thank's..

I guess that settles my question :-)

But go on, don't let me stop you - I can read those kind of posts daily and never get bored hahahah

Concerning your transportation project:

My modular star ship parts will (allready do) ofcourse include huge empty storage compartments and hangar bays..

But I'm afraid the shuttle bay subsystem is not working in Beta7 - it's in fact disabled right now in beta7

maybe in beta8 - we will see how much unity drives me crazy on this..

However - those parts can be equipped with docking ports and quantum struts and that should allow to transport all kind of stuff allready without the shuttlebay-subsystem.

Have you checked out the "Hangar"-mod that came out last week?

maybe that can help you for now - it seems he does basically the same as I intend to do..

but he was faster lol

I saw the cargo bay module on the wiki and assumed it was in beta 7, my bad. Well, no worries, I can wait. :)

Yes I tried the hangar mod; it's fun and useful, it just takes a bit to get used to.

However: I will call this plugin finished, when it's possible to use the shuttlebay and tractor beam to assemble complexe ground stations on Duna while hovering over the base.

I know it's ambitiouse and the tractor beam is far from precise enough right now - but well - it's the postulated goal I had allready quite soon after I got my first working prototype flying!

I guess if I succeed, that would make your plans much easier too - right?

It sure would make it amazing to do!

I have fun already with the tractor beam; mainly to smash crafts into the ground... Or my own ship... That's the kerbal version of a tractor beam!

Do you plan to be able to beam what's in the cargo bay directly to the ground (like with crew members "ship to EVA")? Then the fine-tuning could be made using the tractor beam.

Another question: will it be possible to maintain a space station using "full halt" and "hold height" in a fixed spot (like over the KSC) and then use another ship to go there? I've tried it but somehow the station blew up or disappeared when I targeted it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks for your answer anyway!

Ok when I get my computer fix I can see what I can do cause I'm using my iPod maybe I can find what's wrong but I doute it i not very smart lol maybe I installed it wrong so will try to install it again.

Edited by Teto

Ok when I get my computer fix I can see what I can do cause I'm using my iPod maybe I can find what's wrong but I doute it i not very smart lol maybe I installed it wrong so will try to install it again.

Wich one is closer:

"I can see the LCARS panel but it does not work"

or

"There is no LCARS"

Please check wich fits best!

The correct install Folder is:

GameData/SciFi/LCARS_Plugin <-- here it must go..

If you still have the old version installed, you must delete this folder:

GameData/SciFi/StarTrekImpulseDrive <-- Delete this folder!

HTH

Edit: Sorry forgot:

I saw the cargo bay module on the wiki and assumed it was in beta 7, my bad. Well, no worries, I can wait. k_smiley.gif

Yes I tried the hangar mod; it's fun and useful, it just takes a bit to get used to.

It sure would make it amazing to do!

I have fun already with the tractor beam; mainly to smash crafts into the ground... Or my own ship... That's the kerbal version of a tractor beam!

Do you plan to be able to beam what's in the cargo bay directly to the ground (like with crew members "ship to EVA")? Then the fine-tuning could be made using the tractor beam.

Another question: will it be possible to maintain a space station using "full halt" and "hold height" in a fixed spot (like over the KSC) and then use another ship to go there? I've tried it but somehow the station blew up or disappeared when I targeted it. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

Thanks for your answer anyway!

Full Halt..

not sure that works..

usually the game does not even save with impulse on..

although there is the "make slow to save" thingy, it's still no garantee..

See, "make slow to save" will set the ship as "Landed" - KSP does not like stuff landed in atmosphere or space..

So quite often, on load it removes the vessel in question because it wasn't 100000% stationary, or just because KSP felt it was cool..

I guess I can't fix that for now. Some KerbalPhysics is quite stubborn and does not like to be made obsolete..

So - the save advise would be to not rely on the ship beeing still there if it does not touch the ground while beeing saved.

Edited by philotical

When my computer was working I did all of that and I have beta 7 same thing happen to me I tried to activate impulse drive but it never appeared we'll my computer isn't broke I damaged one of the memory cards so it is extremely slow so I can't play my computer game such as my modded ksp or go on the Internet on how slow it is

Edited by Teto

Full Halt..

not sure that works..

usually the game does not even save with impulse on..

although there is the "make slow to save" thingy, it's still no garantee..

See, "make slow to save" will set the ship as "Landed" - KSP does not like stuff landed in atmosphere or space..

So quite often, on load it removes the vessel in question because it wasn't 100000% stationary, or just because KSP felt it was cool..

I guess I can't fix that for now. Some KerbalPhysics is quite stubborn and does not like to be made obsolete..

So - the save advise would be to not rely on the ship beeing still there if it does not touch the ground while beeing saved.

Yep well, I just had this question floating in my head, so thank you for answering.

I'll just stick to colonies, that was what I wanted to do in the first place. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well - not only Starfleet is on the edge - also the MerchantFleet has some nasty hightech in it's repertoire..

The newest ship is inspired by your request and is called "The Queen Ant"

It has - among many other things - A working TURBOLIFT System :-D

I'm sure with this ship (all one part) you can transport several cities at once

*putting-up-his-most-villain-grin*