[1.0] LCARS Mark II - Dev and Support - Beta Release (29.04.2015)

philotical

Yeah with my computer unplayable ill be on the forum much more often. You know I can see eventually in the future possibly in months or 1 year starvision making the enterprise and voyager hallow with a walkable interior just like the queen ant your making and that would be sweet, oh yeah philotical I got an idea for lcars do you thing in the future and I think you might have mentioned this you can add a gravity generator for the ships example voyager and enterprise so the kerbals can walk inside the ship and one more thing add oxygen when the doors close but to work it needs texture replacer cause on planets with oxygen the kerbals helmets will be off. I understand you and starvision are two busy people so don't get your self worked up cause of me lol

Edited by Teto

Gravity: I'm working on it.. - today I got it working as a proofe of concept..

now the details and fine tuning..

At least it's a work around - since "real" gravity for ships isn't possible inside KSP..

I've seen a video where harvester explains how the SOI is the only grav source there can be - so this is out of the scope..

I've tried to addd some constant force to parts - that worked too - but the kerbals could not walk - was like on ships or moving rovers - zomby like coma..

However - I'm confident, that my workaround will provide a good way to handle walkables..

I will release it as a standalone plugin so everyone can use it on every ship..

Oxigene: rather not - at least not planned at this point..

Although the idea is great :-)

I can't tell what starvision is planning - although I "think" I allready sugested that to him a while back..

and I "think" he didn't say if he liked the idea or not.. - so I can't tell either..

Imagine you enter the voyager hangar, use the airlock and walk inside the ship up to the bridge - now I could even implement a turbolift..

what a great thought that is..

Well - not only Starfleet is on the edge - also the MerchantFleet has some nasty hightech in it's repertoire..

The newest ship is inspired by your request and is called "The Queen Ant"

It has - among many other things - A working TURBOLIFT System :-D

I'm sure with this ship (all one part) you can transport several cities at once

*putting-up-his-most-villain-grin*

That. Is. Amazing.

I'll take your word, as soon as I get my green hands on this thing I'll transport as many cities as there are planets...

Thanks for the sneak peek!

Gravity: I'm working on it.. - today I got it working as a proofe of concept..

now the details and fine tuning..

At least it's a work around - since "real" gravity for ships isn't possible inside KSP..

I've seen a video where harvester explains how the SOI is the only grav source there can be - so this is out of the scope..

I've tried to addd some constant force to parts - that worked too - but the kerbals could not walk - was like on ships or moving rovers - zomby like coma..

However - I'm confident, that my workaround will provide a good way to handle walkables..

I will release it as a standalone plugin so everyone can use it on every ship..

That's great news too. I'd love to make hollow stuff and walk around it in space.

looks good , very unique in the design, but it would look better with a cockpit in the front, seem like there is missing something there?? is it base on a tv, etc?

if I made a car or cars or maybe construction vehicles [ doing them right now] anyway of getting them sold, like in a garage?? now with economics would be nice to get a kerbal to go shop for 1

Edited by mjy

Thank's guys :-D

You right mjy - she looks awkward - hence the name QueenAnt.

It's a flying tube, not a ship - so it will stay like that - to change the fron at this point would be tiresome.

however - she got passed ice cold by a faster ship that wanted to be released first..

She can be very convincing - so I had no chance but to present you

The Belerophon:

Download: see first post in fleet list..

http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ksp-mods/223823-lcars-ship-the-belerophon-walkable-iva

!! You are required to update the plugin to version 7.1 for this ship.. !!

here's the video - because I like videos..

Edited by philotical

very nice ship, u concentrated more on the inside then outside, very rare as its more difficult, great job your really getting better at it, love the new ship, outside could use a bit of work, not much but its looking good, oh just saw the queen ant, not bad, is the middle part with a full collision??, as u could add some detachable containers.

Edited by mjy

Thanks guys..

I love walkable internals - a must in my opinion..

Yes, the middle part of QueenAnt is full collision - the Cargo Decks is an optional part..

without it, she is completely hollow..

Detachable? with docking ports? or how exactly do you mean?

Ok - here is something VERRY intresting!!

::::: LCARS Natural Cause Inc ::::::::

This is a plugin, that allows to spawn selected objects where ever you want them.

There are many plans for this - but currently supported are:

- IonStorm - has destructive forces

- Orbital Defense - weaponized satelites in hordes - also known as mine field

- several stations

- miss something? make suggestions below..

It's intend is to add some interesting Star Trek features to your game - you can create your own customized Star Trek Universe on the fly.

Fitting part contributions welcome!

Download: not yet, but a video

I love this mod, but I've not got it working right. Instead of the LCARS panel, I get a black window that looks like this. It makes the ship move, but obviously I'm missing something.

LCARS.jpg

I suspect my problem is I've got my Gamedata folders muddled. Can you steer me in the right direction? I've got the SciFi Shipyards stuff and the LCARS 7.1 Beta...

I've had that problem did you install lcars in the form lcarsbeta 7 sorry I forgot the unzipped folder name you have to extract then then the folder should be called sifi then you go to the game data and drag it in starvision sifi folder. Sorry if I mislead you I'm not the smartest but I did fix that problem from personal experience I hope this did help.

Edited by Teto

Thanks for the help, but I'm still getting same issue. I don't have a Starvision Sifi folder, but got a SciFi Shipyards one. Not sure where the Enterprise and Voyager .cfg files should go. Instructions suggested directly in the Gamadata folder, which didn't feel right, and didn't work anyway.

It looks as if the icons are not found..

that means, you've installed it in the wrong folder..

the full path to the icons folder should look at the end like this:

GameData\SciFi\LCARS_Plugin\Icons

if your's is not there, that is the issue..

hth

One other bit of feedback, I really like the music you chose to show off the mod. Perfectly captures the futuristic, but awesomeness nature of it all. Would love it if that music kicked in when I used it in game. There's probably mods that would already do that, I guess. But just a thought.

Right, now I've actually had a good couple of hours to play with this, I'm still thinking it's pretty awesome. I've spent ages just wandering around the ships and the transporter and various easter eggs are terrific. Flying around Kerbin is really good fun, and being able to load the ships with whatever you want opens up so much.

Couple of areas where I'm stuck, though. If I land the Belerophon on Kerbin, to load up the bays, I can't figure out how to take off again. It feels like the cargo doors are holding it down (I can tip the rear end up). Can't see a way to make the landing gears retract to release me.

I'm getting to grips with the Impulse drive, but achieving orbits is hard because sometimes the game insists the ship is still on the landing pad, even past the moons, and I can't get the map view to display any orbits. Other times, when they have displayed, I promptly crashed it. Not blaming anyone but me for that, mind. I have watched the instructional video on the FAQ page, and that did help, but if there's any more videos or links that can help me with it, that would be cool. I get the impression it is possible to do planetary transfers with it, but I've not figured it.

Mainly though, I'm having a BLAST playing with this. The mod deserves more attention. You thought about putting it on Kerbal Stuff? (Stuff just gets lost on Curse) Site's really improved lately and I'd be able to subscribe to your stuff that way to. Anyhoo, sorry to ramble. Just enthusiastic about the mod. I'd say it's blown me away more than any other. A tip of the hat to everyone involved, especially Philotical.

Queen Ant feedback - It's not easy (possible?) to assemble it with the cargo deck without using Hanger Extender. Maybe including a craft file with it fully assembled would do the trick. Bugwise, I'm finding EVAs are crashing it - not always in same way. Sometimes the screen goes black (although GUI still shows, with gloomy Kerbals in dark), sometimes the Kerbal vanishes in a puff of smoke, and I've had it instantly pop the ship out of orbit too. Had 4 attempts now, without luck. Maybe just me.

Once this niggle is sorted, this is a spectacular ship though. Very wow.

Aha! Yes. That fixed it. You are a star. Loving your work.

I love this community. So helpful, so smart, and so creative.

Welcome to the forums btw - and I'm glad if I can help..

Your support is highly appreciated.. it helps to keep up the motivation..

One other bit of feedback, I really like the music you chose to show off the mod. Perfectly captures the futuristic, but awesomeness nature of it all. Would love it if that music kicked in when I used it in game. There's probably mods that would already do that, I guess. But just a thought.

We seem to have a lot in common hahah - I agree 100% on your assessment of the songs..

About having it in game, I thought the same 2 weeks ago lol - but this mod seems to do the job allready, so I skipped the idea..

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/65726-0-24-2-Soundtrack-Editor

Right, now I've actually had a good couple of hours to play with this, I'm still thinking it's pretty awesome. I've spent ages just wandering around the ships and the transporter and various easter eggs are terrific. Flying around Kerbin is really good fun, and being able to load the ships with whatever you want opens up so much.

Couple of areas where I'm stuck, though. If I land the Belerophon on Kerbin, to load up the bays, I can't figure out how to take off again. It feels like the cargo doors are holding it down (I can tip the rear end up). Can't see a way to make the landing gears retract to release me.

I've never had what you describe here - could it be, that you landed quite a bit too rough?

sometimes thin stuff (like the legs) goes below the terrain.. - but impulse should be strong enough to pull you free.

In general, I would try to switch away from the vessel and return - not sure if that helps here..

The cargo bays/landing gears close automatically if you reach a certain height or open if you go low enough.

Right now there is no manual override - is it necessary? I could include one.

Is this specifically a belerophon bug or an LCARS bug?

Does it happen with - let's say - the voyager or the custom shuttle pod too?

I'm getting to grips with the Impulse drive, but achieving orbits is hard because sometimes the game insists the ship is still on the landing pad, even past the moons, and I can't get the map view to display any orbits. Other times, when they have displayed, I promptly crashed it. Not blaming anyone but me for that, mind. I have watched the instructional video on the FAQ page, and that did help, but if there's any more videos or links that can help me with it, that would be cool. I get the impression it is possible to do planetary transfers with it, but I've not figured it.

Yes, I'm aware of that problem - voyager at least displayed the orbit lines in beta6 - but since v7 it seems to have new issues..

I was not able to determine the cause nor thesolution - but it's not intended that way..

One should be able to switch vesssels, should see orbit lines and the game should detect flight states correctly.

All 3 are buggy now but hopefully will get fixed soon.

In meantime I can offer some workarounds I discovered..

If you deactivate either the Propulsion Matris in MODNJ or LCARS itselfe, the game let's you save in orbit.

I might even bring back orbit lines when returning to the vessel..

but the behaviour is iradic and hard to predict right now.

If anyone reads this, who has an idea what could cause it - let me know guys..

Videos:

Mainly though, I'm having a BLAST playing with this. The mod deserves more attention. You thought about putting it on Kerbal Stuff? (Stuff just gets lost on Curse) Site's really improved lately and I'd be able to subscribe to your stuff that way to. Anyhoo, sorry to ramble. Just enthusiastic about the mod. I'd say it's blown me away more than any other. A tip of the hat to everyone involved, especially Philotical.

Uhh I feel so much better after reading stuff like this HAHAHHA.. - feel free to reiterate as often as you like :-P

Nope - so far I was pleased with curse - mainly because I intended to support the official doctrine..

but I considered it a huge error to close the space port..

To fix that site would have taken 2 days for a guy like me.

However - you think I should go to kerbalstuff?

Does kerbal stuff have any visitors? I have no objection, just not sure if it's worth it - convince me. :-)

http://beta.kerbalstuff.com/mod/129/LCARS%20Ship%20-%20The%20Belerophon%20-%20Walkable%20IVA

You can ramble and be enthusiastic as much as you like - here you wont offend anyone with it..

At least not me..

Hey, you said you loaded the ships full, can you post a sceenshot how that looks?

I actually never took the time for it hahah

Thanks..

Edit:

Queen Ant feedback - It's not easy (possible?) to assemble it with the cargo deck without using Hanger Extender. Maybe including a craft file with it fully assembled would do the trick. Bugwise, I'm finding EVAs are crashing it - not always in same way. Sometimes the screen goes black (although GUI still shows, with gloomy Kerbals in dark), sometimes the Kerbal vanishes in a puff of smoke, and I've had it instantly pop the ship out of orbit too. Had 4 attempts now, without luck. Maybe just me.

Once this niggle is sorted, this is a spectacular ship though. Very wow.

put the queen in the hangar, select the cargodecks and hit W.

it "should" be right in front of the camera and positioned well..

it only has one node and it's huge..

Just the deck mesh is rotated 90deg in the wrong direction by default.

hit W once to fix this.

I appreciate all bug reports - allthough I can't figure much out of that one - can you describe how to reproduce the "ship out of orbit" for example?

The "screen get's black" is caused by a NaN value in some asteroid SpaceObjects..

So this is a 0.24 bug that occures since 64bit - at least that is what I think it is..

If this assesment is correct, I can't fix it since it's a KSP bug.

it happen here also when I walk in EVA and pass over a mesh border - but the logssay it lost the orbit of a asteroid - very strange stuff indeed..

The "puff of smoke" was that in turbo lift?

after several stations, the kerbals just give up sometimes - it seems to be a huge strain on theire bodys hahaha

Edited by philotical

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. And hey, the stuff looks great on Kerbal Stuff. Seems to be a no-lose thing to try, because you still have Curse and the Forum, but you might pick up a few fans.

The Belerophon landing bug must have been a one off. Not been able to recreate it. Likewise the out of orbit thing. And the Hanger tip worked a treat. Feel a little dumb, the solution was so easy. But hey, if I minded feeling dumb I wouldn't be a Kerbal junkie. Turning off the Propulsion Matrix does seem to occasionally help, but as you say, its inconsistent.

The puff of smoke thing wasn't in a Turbo lift. Just as soon as the EVA started. Using Queen Ant again just now, I still find EVAs not working. The Kerbal got caught in a looping animation, with the [F] Board message popping up without visible surfaces being encountered. So I figured, Teleport down. That worked superbly. But then the Queen vanished from over my head. So I had to walk home...

These aren't gripes. It's BETA, after all. And to be honest the bugs are so funny I've really been laughing my ass off. I'll chuck some decent screenshots your way when I get them. It wasn't stuff I'd saved.

Lastly, um, where can I get hold of that Judd Miller track? Google's not throwing up any links, apart from on a software demo page. But I NEED it now, for that authentic LCARS atmosphere! (I listen to a LOT of electronica. Goes very well with KSP, I find.)

Judd Miller: http://www.soniccouture.com/blog/category/script/

I was looking for KSP mods when I found - well - "KSP scripts" - but it wasn't Kerbal alright.

The track still caught my attention.

The loop animation is easely solveble - although I can't tell you where it comes from..

It allways happens in KSP if the ground you standon is moving i.e. when you are on a rover, boat or airship.

It is generally refered to as "Kerbal Sea Sickness".

Here it stopps as soon as one of the animations did run. I have no idea where the relation is - but it works..

So if you open up (or close down, depending) the queen's cargo bay before you go on EVA, it won't hapen.

Also if the Kerbal performs his little "Dance", switch back to the ship, open the bay, again to the kerbal and he stopps as soon as the bay is opened.

They do that also in the shuttle pod while the door is closed..

Again, if someone reading this, knows the solution, let me know..

The puff thing sounds to me like related to the horrible orbit behaviour - if the absolute speed relative to the sun is 0, the relative speed to kerbin is 8K or so - if the ship has some strange orbit values, it might affect the relative calculations for Kerbals that leave the ship.

But that is just a wet hope, that if the orbit works, most problems will go by it selfe hihi

The "Make Slow to Save" button was invented to prevent ships from dissapearing..

"mostly" it works - but KSPs algorhytm to decide what ship has to go is a book in old greek to me since it's not "public"

I have no clue what they take into acount - it's not solid recreatable as it seems..

Sometimes an actually moving ship can be left and will stay aka keep moving, sometimes a ship parked on the ground with no LCARS will go..

log says allways "Was onRails in Atmosphere" when a ship was removed..

It's strange..

Best tip is "make slow to save" before beaming down although it's no garantee..

F5 is the general way to go in KSP..