[1.0] LCARS Mark II - Dev and Support - Beta Release (29.04.2015)

philotical

It's ben a while - but I had to work on NCI first to continue with LCARS..

Well, now i've started with the known LCARS subsystems from the old version..

The sensor array can allready find all anomalies and the space centers - you can also target them as if they where ships.

You have short/long range scanner and you can make planetary surveys like Biom scan and stuff..

the data will eventually be fed into a knowledge base, that can be reviewed at any time - but it has to be filled first..

You might want to have a look at the NCI thread - I've updated the first post with detailed information about the system now..

LCARS Natural Cause Inc

Also - NCI and MarkII are ported to 25 now - tediouse process on a project as big as this one, but it revealed just one minor error to fix after it was done - it went smoothly..

I thought it's time to publish the interface setup for the subsystems plugins..

in case you didn't know, MarkII allows you to write own subsystems at will..

Just connect with my interface (see below) and put them in the plugin folder of MarkII and it will be shown in game.

here's a blank subsystem to demonstrate how it's done..

copy paste this and build it - it will run (ok, only if you have LCARSMarkII lol - and almost no one does by now, but still)

using UnityEngine;

namespace LCARSMarkII
{

public class LCARS_Subsystem_Blank : ILCARSPlugin
{
public string subsystemName { get { return "Blank"; } }
public string subsystemDescription { get { return "Demo Subsystem"; } }
public string subsystemStation { get { return "Bridge"; } } // in which station is this displayed
public float subsystemPowerLevel_standby { get { return 0f; } } // Power draw if activated but idle
public float subsystemPowerLevel_running { get { return 0f; } } // Power draw if activated and working - is added to standby
public float subsystemPowerLevel_additional { get { return 0f; } } // Power draw for additional consumtion - is added to running
public bool subsystemIsPartModule { get { return false; } } // does this subsystem require a part module in cfg file
public bool subsystemPanelState { get; set; } // has to be false at start

// not used, unless LCARS explicitly calls it, wich doesn't happen if I don't add that call to LCARS - it's required for the NCI subsystem
// for you it's just clutter..
public void customCallback(string key, string value1 = "", string value2 = "", string value3 = "", string value4 = "", string value5 = ""){}

// at scene start, LCARS will let your subsystem know, wich vessel is the one to work with..
// use the var thisVessel as only HostVessel-ref in your code
// you have access to a valid LCARS-ref with the var LCARS
Vessel thisVessel;
LCARSMarkII LCARS;
public void SetVessel(Vessel vessel)
{
//UnityEngine.Debug.Log("LCARS_Subsystem_Blank SetVessel begin ");
thisVessel = vessel;
LCARS = thisVessel.LCARS();
//UnityEngine.Debug.Log("LCARS_Subsystem_Blank SetVessel done ");
}

// the subsystem Util will call this function in onGUI() to display your gui in the right station.
public void getGUI()
{
//UnityEngine.Debug.Log("LCARS_Subsystem_Blank getGUI begin ");
GUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
GUILayout.Label("LCARS_Subsystem_Blank : ");

/*
put your GUI here!
*/
coolTestMethode();

GUILayout.EndHorizontal();
//UnityEngine.Debug.Log("LCARS_Subsystem_Blank getGUI done ");
}

// add below this all the methodes you need in on gui - they can be private because no one else will be able to call them anyway..
// only the interface functions can be accessed by LCARS or any other assembly..
private void coolTestMethode()
{
GUILayout.Label(subsystemName + " is operational");
}

}

}

This will instantly be displayed as a subsystem on the bridge station..

if you want to write an own subsystem allready now, let me know, I can grant for a private beta test to all seriouse requests..

Eeeep.... Help... I don't know why this mod has problems on my computer, but no matter what I have installed it does this:

1024x576.resizedimage

If the image doesn't show, the issue is that the control panel is blurry and so I can't see what I need to click on. I re-installed the game and it still does this. I've read through the wiki and forums, but didn't find the solution to this issue.

Eeeep.... Help... I don't know why this mod has problems on my computer, but no matter what I have installed it does this:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/25094840549883303/5D756B362E72D249B1E446E9D2F36394B81143C5/1024x576.resizedimage

If the image doesn't show, the issue is that the control panel is blurry and so I can't see what I need to click on. I re-installed the game and it still does this. I've read through the wiki and forums, but didn't find the solution to this issue.

Welcome to the forums friend :-)

What version of KSP are you using? Because...:

I am afraid, the following info will not be helpfull at all - however, since it's true..

take the "red pill":

LCARS, as available for download, did work well in 0.23.5 - but it was not once tested in newer versions.

Because LCARSMsrkII dev started with 0.24 and is now working well on 0.25.

MarkII will (as unfinished 0.1 version) be available soon - untill than, go back to 23.5 or skip this plugin..

I'm sorry - but there is no better news to tell at this point..

MarkII is that much more awesome, that the wait is worth it..

Maybe that info helps a bit..

hmm - nah - if I were in your shoes, it would not help..

be patient and I'll hurry to get a release together.. I promise..

Welcome.

"red pill"

LCARS did work well in 0.23.5 - but not 0.24 or 0.25. go back to 23.5 or skip this plugin.. MarkII will be amazing...

TY TY TY. I was hoping that's what it was. I look forward to the next version. It is very cool watching Voyager and then playing kerbal with Voyager...

LOL - StarVision's wonderfull Voyager was the only reason I started with this plugin.. - a huge thank's to him..

You know, I had exactly the same thought about voyager and KSP, but KSP didn't allow the flight behaviour I was hoping for..

and that's when I decided to give it a try..

So let me add the following totally irrelevant info..

I'm currently in season 4, episode 06 - the raven..

before VOY I watched the hole TOS end before that - well - you get the point haha

Trek for ever..

well - untill soon than..

LLAP

PS: if you don't know it allready, there is a replacement drug called "Hidden Frontier" - 7 seasons and 5 additional series of mind blowing fanfiction..

You find them all sorted and listed on this currently unmaintained blog:

http://star-trek-fan-fiction.tumblr.com/

A quick question...

As much as I love Star Trek and Treknology, I really enjoy building my own ships and flying around with them, and I've always wanted a movement/propulsion system like this for my vessels. Is there any plan for the flight model (up, down, left, right, fore, aft, hover) to be added to a single part that can be applied to any ship in KSP? Or, is this only planed for StarVision's ships and the few others you've made compatible? I understand if this is something designed only for "single part models" due to the physics and stresses involved with multiple parts in KSP, but "Hack Gravity" still feels like a cheat, and I've always wanted this kind of movement for my creations.

It's not intended only for one part vessels..

both, starvision and I have worked seperately on modular parts to construct own ships..

I guess his is on hold or dead, mine is on hold for now..

They where ment as modular star ship contruction kits.. - some pages back I posted some pics I think..

An extra part to add the impulse drive to stock KSP was planned there too..

However - For the last NCI video, I've merly added the LCARS module-code to the cfg file of the command pod used to build that station..

You will not have problems with parts falling off - LCARS propulses all parts combined - no physics stress between parts.. - just if you ram something it might happen.

You can easely launch an ISS replica at once to orbit with LCARS.. - as soon as you load your contraption to the runway, it will float as if it where in space - very convenient.

If you still use KSP 0.23.5 and LCARS Beta7.x, you can follow the wikis instructions to add the needed codes to every part you want.

if you use 0.25, it will not work at all I'm afraid.. - above 0.24 you would need LCARSMarkII - and that's not released by now..

That is some very, very pleasing news! I haven't yet updated to .25, and I think I'm actually still running whichever version came before the NASA parts. Shame on me, I know. But, regardless, that's a HUGE relief.

So, basically, it sounds like all I'd need to do would be to build a specialized part file (or multiple parts with different modules) with the correct modules in the CFG to tack onto an existing vessel I've created, with the plugin installed (assuming I had the right version for the version of the game I had), and I should be floating around and beaming things up without issue? If that's the case, then this mod just became a "must have" for my future installations.

You could also steal the Mech Jeb for All type this game to just add LCARS to every command module or what I did was I made a custom probe core that could be added to any ship to give it impulse controls. Instructions to do this are in the LCARS readme file.

@Mod maker- Any idea when you might finish #2 or is it more of a long term goal?

That is some very, very pleasing news! I haven't yet updated to .25, and I think I'm actually still running whichever version came before the NASA parts. Shame on me, I know. But, regardless, that's a HUGE relief.

So, basically, it sounds like all I'd need to do would be to build a specialized part file (or multiple parts with different modules) with the correct modules in the CFG to tack onto an existing vessel I've created, with the plugin installed (assuming I had the right version for the version of the game I had), and I should be floating around and beaming things up without issue? If that's the case, then this mod just became a "must have" for my future installations.

yup that's the case..

you can use stock command pods or fueltanks and just add the codes to cfg..

if you care for some realism, you may create your own star ship parts pack and release them..

as soon as MarkII comes out, it makes more sence then now - but go ahead..

Just do not include the plugin in the download please..

here you find some pics of my parts mod attempt, if you are intrested..

http://imgur.com/a/HJqCX

and here's a preview on markII

http://imgur.com/a/Jz8s0

Edit: I think Beta7.x should work in KSP 0.23 - can't remember exactly, but it was developped mainly in that version..

NASA came in 23.5 iirc

have fun

Edited by philotical

Still a lot todo - but it's usable as a pre release.. - for all those who where waiting..

Download:
here: http://www./download/7oov784goki7yis/LCARSMarkII-v0.0.1.zip
or here: http://db.orangedox.com/7LE6xm6GEWo6Z7xHrO/LCARSMarkII-v0.0.1.zip

It's intended for KSP 0.25

includes the Space Cruiser as seen in the video..
plug and play so to speak - it's preconfigured to work out of the box..

Source:
https://github.com/philotical/LCARSMarkII

There are known issues - a lot of them..
So expect/report bugs..

Feedback of all kind appreciated.. Edited by philotical
changed mediafire link - should work now

This link works each time I click it..

http://www./download/7oov784goki7yis/LCARSMarkII-v0.0.1.zip

is this the same link you tried?

if yes, let me know so I can look for a new filehoster..

It's too early for curse and github has drawbacks as a filehost I'm not fond of..

but if that link really was the problem, I'll find a replacement..

This link works each time I click it..

http://www./download/7oov784goki7yis/LCARSMarkII-v0.0.1.zip

is this the same link you tried?

if yes, let me know so I can look for a new filehoster..

It's too early for curse and github has drawbacks as a filehost I'm not fond of..

but if that link really was the problem, I'll find a replacement..

Yes, tried it on both chrome and IE; on IE it just tells me that the file was deleted or removed.

philotical, The LCARS plugin is awesome! I finally got a chance to play with it. Now, I can build that flying aircraft carrier I've always wanted. lol

Note I'm using the older version of LCARS in .25, still works.

Question, does LCARS have to be on every part in a craft or just one?

Edited by Eskandare

Glad you like it :-)

No, one is enough..

it might even produce problems to have more then one..

Why you still use Beta7?

MarkII is much more stable and more fun..

It just lacks stuff like weapons and transporter by now..

but I'm working on rewriting them too..

So it's just temporary missing..

Glad you like it :-)

No, one is enough..

it might even produce problems to have more then one..

Why you still use Beta7?

MarkII is much more stable and more fun..

It just lacks stuff like weapons and transporter by now..

but I'm working on rewriting them too..

So it's just temporary missing..

Oh cool. I'm actually making another mod (yes, another) for a flying carrier, or space-carrier or whatever you want to build. It's going to be compatible with Lack Luster Labs parts, but not dependent. I'm making the flight deck parts large to keep part counts low. Do you mind if I redistribute the LCARS plugin with my mod once it is finished? Of course I'll credit where credit is deserved.

Edit: Also it would be nice to have a feature where you can lock out tech, to maintain a certain tech level in the part config. For example, anti-grav but no impuse or forward/reverse (StarWars/Anime SciFi style) forcing the use of conventional engines. Also a way to add LCARS to RPM IVAs would be seriously awesome. Just a couple of ideas

Edited by Eskandare

Oh cool. I'm actually making another mod (yes, another) for a flying carrier, or space-carrier or whatever you want to build. It's going to be compatible with Lack Luster Labs parts, but not dependent. I'm making the flight deck parts large to keep part counts low. Do you mind if I redistribute the LCARS plugin with my mod once it is finished? Of course I'll credit where credit is deserved.

Edit: Also it would be nice to have a feature where you can lock out tech, to maintain a certain tech level in the part config. For example, anti-grav but no impuse or forward/reverse (StarWars/Anime SciFi style) forcing the use of conventional engines. Also a way to add LCARS to RPM IVAs would be seriously awesome. Just a couple of ideas

Modular star ship parts?

cool.. - looking forward to it

good luck..

Redistribute:

For the time beeing the answer is "no redistribution"!

Make it a requirement..

In each version I upload, you can be assured, LOT has changed - and LOT is incompatible with previouse versions..

Once LCARS is done - it might become feasable - but now, it's not.

Features:

Well MarkII has that ability - I have not decided on the right way to handle it in cfg, but MarkII can turn off any detail individually.

That can even be done remote..

So - the propulsion matrix and scanner and transorter for example are all bound to be disabled in close range of certain anomalies.

You can even attack "FullHalt" alone if you like..

MarkII has modularity in it's vains..

but it's not finished enough to be redestributed..

RPM:

when all is done, it's planned to hve a look at such options - right now integration with NCI is prioritized..

You know: MarkII does not rely on IVA at all actually - the goal is that you can fly your ship in EVA!!

Somehow I like that better..

Combined with my walkable stations and ships, that makes more sense to me..

Please keep me informed about your project - maybe we can take care about details while your doing it - so the code can reflect the needs..

I have certain concepts for modularity in my head allready (and some stuff is allready implemented) - I guess they totally differ from your ideas - might be a good idea to work together on this

instead of creating unintentionally incompatibilities..

Modular star ship parts?

cool.. - looking forward to it

good luck..

Currently modeling the carrier, it is inspired by ships from Macross, the Daedelus from Saints Row III, and the S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier.

I'm working on a design for the rotors for the helicarrier parts. I'm going to have them electricity powered by a thorium reactor where one of the byproducts is xenon gas. (Actual liquid sodium thorium reactors do that)

Really (other then star ship designs) LCARS is so the ship doesn't despawn while in flight. You see why I'd like to lock out some capabilities so if it is built as a helicarrier, it can be parked above the clouds but no go to space. Otherwise if it is made as a space ship it can be parked in Jool's atmosphere as a base for investigating Jool.

I even made a Kerbal parody agency to S.H.I.E.L.D, I call it F.I.E.L.D (Field Investigation Engineering Logistics Deployment) lol.

Edited by Eskandare