[1.0] LCARS Mark II - Dev and Support - Beta Release (29.04.2015)

philotical

• 2 weeks later...

Continues to be an amazing mod, this. It takes a while to get your head around the navigation, but those videos really help.

A couple of feedback points - I personally prefer to use Blizzy's Toolbar, rather than the stock one, as you can more easily hide stuff you aren't using on any particular mission, but if this supports it I've not twigged out how to use it. Be nice to have option. Also the menus get pretty tough to read on half res settings (although maybe that's because I'm using ATM?). The built in help menus are really good, but I find I have to toggle through the help menus, before I get to the full menu. (Think I did a horrible job explaining that, but you might already know what I mean?)

Not got got my head around the FRHD stabilisers. What do the letters do? (Apologies if this is explained already somewhere and I missed it)

Anyway, thanks so much for making the mod. I LOVE the walkable IVAs, and there's something just so darn pleasing about ordering your Kerbal a nice cup of Earl Grey to celebrate successful missions. Great stuff.

Edited by BinaryBad

Continues to be an amazing mod, this. It takes a while to get your head around the navigation, but those videos really help.

A couple of feedback points - I personally prefer to use Blizzy's Toolbar, rather than the stock one, as you can more easily hide stuff you aren't using on any particular mission, but if this supports it I've not twigged out how to use it. Be nice to have option. Also the menus get pretty tough to read on half res settings (although maybe that's because I'm using ATM?). The built in help menus are really good, but I find I have to toggle through the help menus, before I get to the full menu. (Think I did a horrible job explaining that, but you might already know what I mean?)

Not got got my head around the FRHD stabilisers. What do the letters do? (Apologies if this is explained already somewhere and I missed it)

Anyway, thanks so much for making the mod. I LOVE the walkable IVAs, and there's something just so darn pleasing about ordering your Kerbal a nice cup of Earl Grey to celebrate successful missions. Great stuff.

Thanks man - at least one person took the time to type some feedback :-D

Yeah, it has a learning curve - and the old wiki is useless for MarkII

but I'll write a new one when I find time..

My GitHub has a wiki - if you feel like, you can start hihi

BlizzyBar:

I tried, it didn't work - I get some reflection errors and it does not build - I might give it an other try, but no promises..

in meantime, you can use the actiongroup...

I've added an action group to toggle the LCARS windows..

That might help also a bit for now

Also my stockTB-Button is crapp - it should only be visible if you use an LCARS ship - but it's allways on - I consider this a bug and intend to fix it when I find out how...

Hard to read:

can you provide me with a screenshot please?

I'm not sure what menus you mean..

Actually most is text and not pictures so ATM should not have a lot to say about it - but if it's ATM, I can probbably write configs to make exceptions..

The Help Button Toggle thing..

If you ignore the help-icon and click on the subsystem name instead, you don't need to go through help..

if that was not the answer, I didn't get the question..

FRHD:

true, no tooltip and no explanation might be a hard one :-)

Those are all toggles to activate/deactivate certain stuff..

F = Full Impulse; effect = force * 5

R = UseReserves; effect = force * 5 * 2

H = Hoverforce; effect = if not activated, the ship will not float.

D = Docking Mode; effect = if activated, all force is divided by 10 - allows for precise manouvering

Those buttons are not actually stabilizers, but I had no other space left on the helm panel..

those are ShortCuts to activate often used functions that where hidden in the engineering panel before...

I made them only "one letter" to keep some more optional space there for possible further buttons

although there are none planned by now..

About earl gray:

Do you think I should integrate the replicator with any of those life support mods?

Snacks would fit quite well I guess..

If you think yes, wich one?

Thanks for the kind words - it actually increases motivation to get feedback :-D

Thanks for the help. I'll check it all out later. And if you need any help with the mod/testing I'd be happy to contribute if I can, just PM me, or something.

Integration with Snacks, or TAC makes a lot of sense. Or even the new one RoverDude is working on. I've only used it in sandbox mode so far, but you need that kind of integration for it to be taken on more in career, I think. Also, once you get it past BETA, CKAN is a must too, nowadays I think.

Thanks for the help. I'll check it all out later. And if you need any help with the mod/testing I'd be happy to contribute if I can, just PM me, or something.

Integration with Snacks, or TAC makes a lot of sense. Or even the new one RoverDude is working on. I've only used it in sandbox mode so far, but you need that kind of integration for it to be taken on more in career, I think. Also, once you get it past BETA, CKAN is a must too, nowadays I think.

I agree on all acounts..

The LiveSupport is currently a "nice to have" since I need time to study the topic in more detail..

I've never cared a lot for this kind of realism in my carreer games, therefore I have not much idea about the way they work..

guess I need to try all of them first to make a reasonable descission..

My approach - the one I have in mind - is that a kerbal sitting in an LCARS vessel will never suffacate or starve.

In star trek no one ever starved - they can eat when they want with the replicators because it's fun, but a kerbal that is offrails will allways be fed sufficiantly as long as there is energy on board..

And since LCARS has an auxilliary power unit, that outputs enough power for this kind of stuff but not enough to fly fast, the problem is solved for eternity.

No resource refill needed.

so - my integration with any of those LS mods would permanently end the problems associated with that LS mod..

because in 24th century, there are none of these problems..

I hope that makes sense and does not sound degrading towards the LS mods - it's wasn't ment degrading..

I just see them as obsolete in the 24th century - and in that century you actually have to see LCARS..

PM sent..

Thanks for the offer :-)

Been using this mod for a while now and I really enjoy it. I have a problem with the tactical setting - I'm using the SciFi shipyard mod and I think I've set up the config properly but I still can't get the phasers or photon torpedoes to work :( any help?

Thanks

Been using this mod for a while now and I really enjoy it. I have a problem with the tactical setting - I'm using the SciFi shipyard mod and I think I've set up the config properly but I still can't get the phasers or photon torpedoes to work :( any help?

Thanks

tactical is not done yet..

no weappons by now - sorry..

SciFi Shipyard uses BDArmoury afaik - you might wanna ask on that thread..

something else..

I've added some tuts to OP..

Tutorials:

How to get into a stable orbit - StandardOrbit - StO:

How to land your ship:

Advanced Orbit Navigation - ATC, HSO, etc..:

Take Me To Target - TMTT:

MagBoots:

Fuel Transfer and FuelTanks:

How to use the IFD to find ActionPoints:

Halfways back after sick leave, I have made some tests in Career mode today..

It seems LCARS is working and the ships are visible in techtree..

So far, LCARS comes as one package, no progression or so - either you have a ship with LCARS or you don't..

Therefore - it's not LCARS that needs a tech node, it's only the ships that have this ability..

I moved all ships now to metaMaterial today..

..it seemed fitting.

But, I'm open for suggestions concerning the tech nodes to use..

anyone?

My career experiance is limited - so if no one objects, it will stay like this:

- All ships come together at the end of tech tree

- They only have a "progression" when it comes to prices

- the bigger the expensive..

Price balancing is also due now..

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately the current beta version doesn't appear to work with the 1.0 update. Any time I try to load a part or ship with lcars everything locks up.

Thanks for the report..

I'm in the process of packing/uploading the patched version now..

It works, all subsystems work but there are some minor problems I need to adress later.. - non game braking stuff

1. tricorder is currently inoperable

2. The stock toolbar bugs around - but in general it's working

3. Transporter mode "ShipToGround" seems to have a problem in some of the ships..

works in some but not all - have to investigate in detail - might be a new model transform issue..

download link:

https://dl.orangedox.com/pjcGhnJc3FCTx9rhGa/LCARSMarkII-v0.0.4%2029.04.2015.zip

Hints:

The new part heat system of KSP will destroy your ships of you fly too fast in atmosphere!

Luckily we have the Structural Integrity Field (SIF) - if you set the force to 10, you will surwife all and every landing/start..

SIF does change part values for max heat and max impact - don't hesitate to leave it on all the time - since part heat is deadly otherwise..

Edited by philotical

Everything seem to be working ok except for the SIF. If I use it on a ship that I built out of parts in the editor everything explodes. The after flight report seem to think its from overheating.

Thanks for that report - I think I knew of this bug - but since monthes, I only used my one part vessels..

I can garantee that it works for them so far..

Will have to fix it though...

As a work around, for your own multipart vessels, ascend manually and slower - then the heat does not destroy the ship..

Hint: in Bridge Panel Subsystem "ShipInfo" - activate the hull selction - there the current hull temperature is displayed..

might help to keep it low enough..

"This is the name of the Star Trek computer operating system that can be seen in all films and series."

Not trying to be rude, but there was no LCARS on the original Enterprise

Captain Kirk didn't even use a navball, just some switches and flashy lights, and the viewscreen was an old projector, haha

Maybe theres a correlation, Kirk = Jebadiah?

Edited by darqen27

• 5 weeks later...