The 6-way parts, do they need docking ports?

Currently in the middle of sending up a bunch of parts with the intention of fabricating a reusable interplanetary transport, that I can reconfigure as needed (ie more/less engines&tanks) depending on the delta-v needed to get to/from whichever planet I'm going to. My intention is to use the parts that look like a block with a docking port on each side to facilitate this. My questions are as follows. 1. does each face of the block need to have a docking port added for it to work as such? 2. Can you mount this block to a rocket using a stack separator, then once it's at the rendevous point, dock the assembly tug to it, then blow the separator to release it from the rocket, and still have all 6 sides usable? 3. Also how strong would such an arrangement be without using the available mods to increase docking port connection strength (intended design will be a X shape with equal amts of engines at the center of the cross and at each of the arms of the cross and I'm trying to find out if assembling such a ship pieces by piece would hold up under thrust/maneuvering)

Edited by Ruthgar

I am assuming you mean the big station hub thing? If so

1) Yes, you need to add docking ports for each side you want to dock to.

2) You shouldn't need to add a separator. A docking port can be in the middle of two parts in the VAB/SPH, and right clicking the part once in flight will allow you to "Decouple" the part.

3) If each node will have equal TWR (or thereabouts), you don't need anything else for a reasonably sized vessel. However, I'd remind you that if your docking is anything less than perfectly aligned, you will create a rotation when you fire the engines (assuming that my mental picture of what you're planning is correct)

To help with problem 3, many people use multiple docking ports to attach two items (it can be tricky getting the spacing of them perfect though).

This example: | is a fuel tank, ^ is an engine, - is a docking port.

| |

| |

- -

| |

| |

| |

- -

| |

^^

I hope this helps.

1. Yes, they're not included.

2. Yes, but you don't need the decoupler. Just right click on the docking port and tap "decouple node". It works like a decoupler. Click here and scroll down, the tip #1 of the 67th post shows an example.

3. It's a bit weak. To have stronger joints you might use bigger or multiple docking port

1) Yes. The 6-sided part with circular sides has no built-in docking ports ... which I found out in orbit one day :)

2) Yes, and you can even hook the stack separator to the docking port you put on because of #1. You can also skip it and "undock" your docking port from the rocket you attached it to, even if there is no docking port on that other side. You can't redock, but it will undock with no problems.

3) Not very strong. Use some struts to keep it in place. A nice mod that includes struts (and tons of other stuff) is Kerbal Attachment System.

4) Use the enter key to separate your numbers, it'll make your post easier to read :)

5) Ninja'd!

Edited by 5thHorseman

I am part of that list myself gordon. Currently have 3 ships up in orbit, one with the assembler tug, one with one of the main engines and a few of the tanks, and one with 4 of the 6 ways and 2 more tank assemblies. My main reason for this post was because I can't unlock any of those 6 ways from each other. Ah well, guess I have a nice start to a station now.

As it says in the hubmax part description "docking ports sold separately", but you've got that, as you have that a docking port is already a (reusable) decoupler, as it were. The reason I'm posting is that you may want to check http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/83368-A-reusable-transfer-stage-a-good-idea for various views on interplanetary transfer-vehicle design.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.