Addressing Yesterday's 0.24 Info

SQUAD

<p>We know many of you all had your hearts set on playing <em>Kerbal Space Program: First Contract</em> yesterday. Despite not giving a specific date, you’re all way too smart and had a correct hunch for the day we had in mind. Your levels of hype practically matched all of ours within the company for wanting to bring the update to you yesterday. Unfortunately, the devs ended up hitting a snag that stemmed from a Unity update.<br/><br/>The issue itself is minor, but bothersome enough to your experience to make sure it gets squashed before sending an update out into the world. We’re as disappointed as you are that expectations weren’t met, but the good news is that you won’t be in for as long of a wait this time. As we speak, the devs are on the cusp of smoothing out the issue. From there, that means one last experimental build to test. If nothing breaks (knock on wood), we’ll be issuing a release candidate.</p>

<p>Despite things looking good right now, you still never know what can happen from build to build and won’t release the update until it’s fully ready to go. What this means for some of you is that you can lay off the F5 for a bit. Really. It’s ok….see? There. Feels good, doesn’t it? When it’s ready, we’ll announce it on all of our usual haunts and you’ll know right away.</p>

What's the typical timeframe between:

"Testers are given Release Candidate"

and

"Testers have reported in. Squad either publishes now or decides there's more work to do and starts another dev cycle."

Is it a matter of hours, days, or weeks? Those of us who aren't testers really have no idea what to do with the information that a release candidate is coming out any moment now - because we don't know how to map from "time of release candidate" to "time of real publication".

Edited by Steven Mading

Assuming it's not a bunch of major bugs, but only a few smaller ones (which may enhance the stability of the x64 version when fixed) it may be out today. Squad does like to release early in the week for community response while they are still at work, and in case there is a game breaking bug they have to rush a patch for.

Heh. Rowsdower, you're leaking info. You've just confirmed Unity version update.

I don't think that's quite as significant as you think it is. :P From what I remember, Unity likes to have random minor updates, which I'm guessing is what's happened here. Of course, I could be wrong...

This is what I like about Squad, they don't release it right away with bugs, even minor ones. They like to keep it as bug free as possible making it a better gaming experience. I have a few things to hold me over until 0.24 like DayZ and I recently discovered the DarkMultiplayer mod. :)

I find it a little befuddling that you would delay the release because your development environment version came out with the new version, when you were right on the cusp of releasing with the existing version. It seems unnecessary to delay, I think you would have been fine to release it with the existing unity version. While I do enjoy the dedication and the quality of Squads work, I find myself scratching my head at your methods sometimes. At any rate, still looking forward to .24 and the future.

Cheers.

I find it a little befuddling that you would delay the release because your development environment version came out with the new version, when you were right on the cusp of releasing with the existing version. It seems unnecessary to delay, I think you would have been fine to release it with the existing unity version. While I do enjoy the dedication and the quality of Squads work, I find myself scratching my head at your methods sometimes. At any rate, still looking forward to .24 and the future.

Cheers.

Anything that benefits KSP performance in any way is worth a day or two.

Anything that benefits KSP performance in any way is worth a day or two.

Well that justification could be applied to the nth degree. From a PR and customer relation stand point, you've have to follow through with your plans/hype. Of course this needs to be tempered by the cause of the delay vs the effect of delaying on your client base. My befuddlement comes from the seemingly feeble cause. At some point the engineer has to be working on the next iteration while the existing living version meets the public. That and I need my v.24 fix. and I need it now! :-)

I knew it! I leave the board for a bit and missed out on the Drama, the hype, the premature release that got delayed :)

Timing is everything it seems, ok, so you'll squash the new unity issues and release, better that way anyways.

Looking forward to it sometime soon! Thanks!

Your point is valid, however Squad has never promised us anything, and all hype is player-created. They just release a video, FAQ - they don't even give rough estimates.

If their plan was to get the new unity version up and running, they obviously have good reason to upgrade so lets allow them to do their job in quiet ;P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.