[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Skylab - (Compatible with DECQ, OLDD, FASA) - 7-24-21

raidernick

• 3 months later...

Hi, I recently installed Realism Overhaul and all its recommended mods, and I wanted to launch and learn about Skylab (this is how I discovered your mod). Unfortunately, it has been one disaster after the next, apart from the real life disasters of actual Skylab. I put together the below video to better demonstrate the problems. Essentially, the big problem is I can't dock the way the game understands it (creating one craft file from the two) There are also some weird texture and lighting problems on the station, which I don't think are related but just wanted to point out. The docking and crew transfer problem are causing other issues--those crazy physics issues. If I use cheats, that the Apollo command module instantly goes crazy, as shown in this video. Is this due to a bad install? Incorrect docking? Poor game design? I read your first post. Thank you for the help.

the flickering and lighting problems are definitely due to some other mod like scatterer or something. As for the docking ports, you are supposed to use the lem docking ports from the fasa mod. The weird torque issues I can't help you with but it's definitely one of your plugin mods

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

RELEASE v1.8.1 for KSP 1.2.2, 1.3.x

Changelog:

• Update for KSP 1.2.2/1.3.x release
  • Remove dependencies which are now stored in a different file. Dropbox links are available in forum OP or readme here.

https://github.com/KSP-RO/Skylab/releases/tag/v1.8.1

Removed the 1.3 releases due to bugs in plugins causing crashes. Dependencies have been removed from all of my mods now. You now download them as a separate package. These links are listed in the OP or below.

Dependencies_KSP_v1.2.x OR Dependencies_KSP_v1.3.x

• 4 months later...

Why is it that you have it as an "Important Note" that we should decouple the two pieces at the same time.  I understand it recreates the historical snafu, but, is there some solely game oriented reason why we'd want to do that?  Is the skylab capable of special science, or is the telescope functional?  Not sure exactly what it is I've got here.

I've assembled it fully in my VAB, now to attach enough boom to it to get it into space, going to run it entirely as an unmanned OP, all in one piece.

Edited by Fergrim

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 4:07 PM, Rohaq said:

Has anyone had a chance to test this in 1.4.1 yet? :)

It's a part, it'll work. you'll need the ksp 1.4.x versions of the plugins though. On a side note for the future, feel free to test it yourself.

36 minutes ago, raidernick said:

It's a part, it'll work. you'll need the ksp 1.4.x versions of the plugins though. On a side note for the future, feel free to test it yourself.

I've been running through testing all of my "incompatible" parts at the minute, Skylab's near the bottom of the list, but I'll get there :)

• 5 months later...

I loaded it up recently and had trouble mounting it to the launch vehicle because the bottom node is "hidden". It causes issues with any part used as a coupler. If i move the node down below the plate it should be fairly easy to add a standard fairing down there and party, or provide a highly detailed launch support structure, otherwise extremely awesome. 

14 hours ago, AlonzoTG said:

I loaded it up recently and had trouble mounting it to the launch vehicle because the bottom node is "hidden". It causes issues with any part used as a coupler. If i move the node down below the plate it should be fairly easy to add a standard fairing down there and party, or provide a highly detailed launch support structure, otherwise extremely awesome. 

it doesn't cause any issues if you hold left alt while placing it which prevents surface attach...

Yeah, unless you can find a coupler that actually is hollow on the inside (actual collider is hollow, not just appearance, I installed SpaceY to launch this and it's decoupler is NOT compatible...), or re-purpose an engine interstage, there will be a collision when the decoupler fires and it will not separate cleanly because it will be processing collisions between the station's superstructure. On my most recent flight, the launcher was kinda caught on the thing and wouldn't actually separate. 

• 1 month later...

I found a shroud in KW rocketry that should work, but when I loaded the part up in 1.5.1, it loaded as a 3.75m part, with nodes in the wrong position. 

Also, the docking ports do not seem to follow Kerbal node placement conventions so I can't swap the realistic ports with ordinary kerbal-style ports. =\ The "top" node should be level with the mating surface, and the back port should be flush with the apparent back-plate of the part. For a cone style docking thing, it should be the outer ring that would be brought into contact as the probe is retracted. 

There seemed to be a shroud like mesh clipped inside the station, not sure what that was for... 

1 hour ago, AlonzoTG said:

I found a shroud in KW rocketry that should work, but when I loaded the part up in 1.5.1, it loaded as a 3.75m part, with nodes in the wrong position. 

Also, the docking ports do not seem to follow Kerbal node placement conventions so I can't swap the realistic ports with ordinary kerbal-style ports. =\ The "top" node should be level with the mating surface, and the back port should be flush with the apparent back-plate of the part. For a cone style docking thing, it should be the outer ring that would be brought into contact as the probe is retracted. 

There seemed to be a shroud like mesh clipped inside the station, not sure what that was for... 

Did you remove the configs in GameData\RN_Skylab\Compatibility? There are 4 configs. You must delete three of them which are not used. So if you have KW-Rocketry installed, you must left only the KW_support_mm.cfg.

Okay, I deleted the incompatibility patch directory and the mod is essentially working again. Procedural Parts is not working 100% at this time but I had to use what it claimed to be a 50cm tube to extend the location of the attach node up to where the stock #1 docking port needed to be. 

I had to use monstrously huge tail fins on the rocket to get it to do anything but cartwheel. =\ (no FAR). I also moved the boosters to near the top of the rocket to compensate for the CoM issue. I get it to about 40km when I want to dump the nose fairings, I found that I have to roll the thing violently to get the fairings to separate without destroying the telescope thingy... Mechjeb deploys it on orbit anyway... 

When I dump the engine on orbit, it kicks off a hexagonal piece of debris which never fails to score a direct hit on that telesope thingy. I tried to send Bill out to fix it but he can't. 

5 hours ago, AlonzoTG said:

I had to use monstrously huge tail fins on the rocket to get it to do anything but cartwheel. =\ (no FAR). I also moved the boosters to near the top of the rocket to compensate for the CoM issue. I get it to about 40km when I want to dump the nose fairings, I found that I have to roll the thing violently to get the fairings to separate without destroying the telescope thingy... Mechjeb deploys it on orbit anyway...

Boosters to the top of a rocket???? Did you look on real rockets where they have their Boosters and do you understand how a rocket work?
And why ejecting the Nosecone/fairings at 40km within the atmosphere???

Hi @raidernick First, Thanx for all the work that you do, on ALL of the mods that you do ;)

One question tho, about this from the OP:

Dependencies include the most updated versions BD Animation, Smokescreen, ModuleManger, Texture Replacer and KSP-AVC for the specific version of KSP listed above.

I'm just wondering if these packages are just straight up, unmodified copies of each dependency, put together for lazy people, or if there are *actual* modifications/extra files in these, that are specific to your mods? vOv

Again, THANK YOU for all that you do.

Yeah, I have like 5,000 hrs+ in this game. =P I have over 250 craft in my active fleet. With this one, the total mass comes out to about 700 tons even on the pad... You have a VERY tall 5M stack and a total of three decouplers, additionally the bottom of the rocket is ringed with an absurd number of tailfins... Solution?  Attach the boosters near the top so there is less total stress on the stack and less possibility for the joints to buckle... I kick the thing up to hypersonic ASAP and then kick off the boosters. This is shockingly non-problematic...   

At 40-50km there are two kinds of rockets, fast rockets and slow rockets... A fast rocket would be getting significant atmospheric heating, even though the density is about 0.02 at that altitude and needs the fairing up until about 51km. A slow rocket, such as this one, is just lumbering along wondering why it needs a fairing when the atmo is so thin at this altitude, so just go ahead and dump it, it's just weight... In the most extreme case I ever launched, a surface sailing ship for Laythe on a 10M stack, I actually had to shut down the engines at 50km, dump the fairings, and then light everything up again. The solution for this rocket is to spin the hell out of it and hope the fairings clear... Mechjeb can then recover and the launch continues as normal.

On orbit, I think I'm going to have to retract that telescope thingy before dumping my upper stage otherwise I get killed by that hexagonal cover every time. =\ 

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Raidernick!

This is a great looking Skylab model. I just finished downloading and building but haven't launched yet. One question: the RCS pack seems wonky. I attached to the bottom like you instructed, and the thrusters engaged the node and turned green. However, the thrusters seem to be detached and floating far to the outside of the OWS. Did I do something wrong on the placement?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.