[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Skylab - (Compatible with DECQ, OLDD, FASA) - 7-24-21

raidernick

• 2 weeks later...

Updated V0.6

-consolidated textures, reduced overall file size and RAM usage

-removed extra fairing pieces, fixed top fairing decoupler problem

THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OLDER VERSIONS!

You MUST delete the old version entirely before installing this as the directory structure is completely different!

NOTE: I didn't test the top nosecone fairings to see if you can now decouple them while accelerating without breaking the solar panels, but I did try it on the launchpad and hyperedited into obrit. They all separated cleanly instead of bouncing inwards first like they used to. If someone could test this and see if it breaks the solar panels ability to collect sunlight please let me know.

Edited by raidernick

Update V0.65

-Fixed rescaling bug and craft files. COMPLETELY DELETE OLD BUGGED VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS INCLUDING CRAFT FILES!

Want to apologize to everyone for the previous version causing massive problems with your game. I only tested it in the VAB, not in the actual game so I didn't know it was messed up.

Edited by raidernick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have officially given up on fixing the anchored decoupler issue with this. It never worked properly before Squad broke them and now it is 100x worse to the point of making them unusable. I don't want to waste any more time on this mod with all the other stuff I am currently working on. I am now open to help from other people. If anyone is interested in giving a shot at fixing this I will make available the dropbox for you and give you credit in all releases that you contribute in. If you become a regular contributor I will consider giving you the ability to post updates on kerbalstuff as well. If you are interested please pm me.

Raidernick, would it be possible for you to release just the Apollo Telescope Mount? Just the ATM and solar panels, not the whole rotating trusswork bit. The reason I ask is that I dive deeply into speculative alternate space history (à la "Eyes Turned Skyward"). The thought of being able to work out a LM/ATM configuration as originally proposed sounds like great fun. I realise that breaking out the ATM may be too much of a pain given the complex nature of your Skylab model, so "no" is a perfectly understandable answer.

Wow! I'm genuinely floored by your generosity! Thank you!

I figured mopping Skylab out of the picture suited this request, so here's the image of what I was talking about.

gRayubd.jpg

To explain why I'm so keen on getting the ATM: it was my father's project. He was on the ATM team. I remember being in the gallery as Skylab launched. I was just a kid. It was another fantastic launch of a Saturn V. My dad had explained the intricacies of how the ATM was to be deployed, and his misgivings about it all. I watched him pace like an expectant father, chain smoking like I'd never seen him do before. And when they announced the ATM had deployed nominally, he punched the air in triumph.

I understand your frustrations and reasons for abandoning your Skylab. And I thank you for providing me with the ATM. In a way it helps keep me connected to my dad, and I deeply appreciate it.

Edited by Jack Wolfe

I cut it out, but I don't have time to put it into the game and release it right now. I'll do it within the next few days.

FYI, not abandoning this mod, just not trying to fix the fairings anymore, squad needs to get it together and fix the decoupler module.

ftJ0XTM.png

Edited by raidernick

Dtobi was nice enough to give me his skylab and wet workshop source files. I will be reworking his IVA so this can finally have a proper interior as well as adding some of the skylab concept parts to this.

That's awesome!

Temporary Decoupler Fix: To fix the anchored/radial decoupler issue causing the nosecones/panels to break the solar panels and explode when decoupling download THIS FIX. Decouple the nosecones and micrometeorite shields LAST. This means decouple them AFTER circularizing and decoupling everything else from the station. Decouple them all at the same time. Make sure you are not in phys warp.

Also for anyone having trouble getting Skylab to decouple from the Saturn V stage 2(it gets stuck inside the decoupler and "flips out" flying apart) here are replacement model files. Replace your curent ones with these and it should be fixed. The next update will have these in it.

Edited by raidernick

Updated V0.66

-FIXED DECOUPLER ISSUES(HOPEFULLY FOR GOOD)!

-Discontinued Lovad Support

-Lowered FASA version mass to make getting to orbit easier

-Updated craft files for new part placement

-COMPLETELY REMOVE OLD VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS

So it looks like I've finally worked out the long term decoupler issues! I replaced the decoupler force with invisible/silent thrusters to push the pieces away from the station. This eliminated the bounce and collisions that destroy everything. You can now decouple any pieces at any time even in phys warp and nothing should break anymore.

I also removed Lovad support because that mod is dead(even though Lovad did post recently).

Looking for feedback here on the new fairing and mm shield separations.

Edited by raidernick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

UPDATE V0.70

-Replaced all textures with new, higher res, more realistic textures

-Removed dependency on FASA docking ports, station now has it's own docking ports which are compatible with FASA and OLDD

-Default station supports DECQ Saturn V, FASA and OLDD are supported via module manager patches

-Fixed all z-fighting problems with the station and station parts

-Station radiator cover is now jettisonable

-Added new IVA that is more realistic

-All craft files replaced with new ones to reflect updates

-THIS IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH PREVIOUS VERSIONS, COMPLETELY REMOVE OLD VERSION BEFORE INSTALLING THIS

-DELETE ALL IN FLIGHT STATIONS BEFORE UPGRADING

This is a major update. It is not compatible at all with previous versions as new parts have been added and some old parts have been removed. If you are using FASA or OLDD install the compatibility patches over the existing installation. The module manager patch will resize the station to fit either of those two mods. You can only use ONE mm patch at a time!

FgsWaAq.png

Y34aDIZ.png

thanks for the update! now i can use a Salyut docking port and Soyuz ships on it :P (i've also got another idea for it now that it's massive, but i'm gonna save this other idea for later....)

btw, for anyone who wants to use KW instead of a dedicated Saturn V, and wants to use the new massive skylab too, that is possible using tweakscale and rescaling 5m parts to 7.5m. here's a config i made for the 5m-3.75m interstage just in case someone wants it, it will rescale the interstage to a 7.5m-5.625m adapter, it won't fit 100% perfectly in the Skylab but it's good enough, it will be a little offset as the new Skylab's diameter is 5.3m (if you want to mess with tweakscale configs, this is the scale to make parts compatible with the new skylab)

SCALETYPE
{
name = Skylab
freeScale = false
scaleFactors = 5.0, 7.5
scaleNames = 5m to 3.75m, Skylab
defaultScale = 5.0
ATTACHNODES
{
base = 4
top = Stack:3
bottom = Stack:4
}
}

@PART[KW5x3AdapterShroud] // KW 5m to 3.75m Adapter
{
MODULE
{
name = TweakScale
type = Skylab
defaultScale = 5.0
}
}

UPDATE V0.75

-Changed DECQ support to also be a module manager config to keep the base mod in scale with my other mods

-Remade craft files

-Added docking probe for TRS module to remove dependency on FASA apollo docking port. You now no longer need FASA at all to use this mod

m2tcklj.png

oqUZ6Fc.png

Edited by raidernick

• 2 months later...
UPDATE V0.75

-Changed DECQ support to also be a module manager config to keep the base mod in scale with my other mods

-Remade craft files

-Added docking probe for TRS module to remove dependency on FASA apollo docking port. You now no longer need FASA at all to use this mod

http://i.imgur.com/m2tcklj.png

http://i.imgur.com/oqUZ6Fc.png

I'm very much confused by that little "toy". What am I supposed to use it for?

I'm very much confused by that little "toy". What am I supposed to use it for?

It was designed to boost skylab into a higher orbit/keep it in orbit. It never flew but raidernick made it for because it just awesome!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.