[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Skylab - (Compatible with DECQ, OLDD, FASA) - 7-24-21

raidernick

21 minutes ago, Bleddyn said:

Sorry if I have missed something, but the installation instructions in the OP read:

"Merge/Overwrite the Gamedata and Ship folders in your main KSP directory with the ones from this mod."

However the zip file does not include a Ship folder or craft files. Was this forgotten in the latest package or am I missing something?

Read literally 2 posts above yours

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, iuseglasses said:

There don't seem to be any craft files in the 1.4 update. Am I doing something wrong? I see the craft files in previous versions.

There are no craft files because every mod compatibility changes the size of the parts and that would break the craft files

Would it be possible to make the forward two solar panels on the ATM retractable separately? NASA had this in mind for refurbishing Skylab for use with the shuttle.

They were in the way for docking and NASA was wary of collisions.

Edited by Teslamax

4 hours ago, Teslamax said:

Would it be possible to make the forward two solar panels on the ATM retractable separately? NASA had this in mind for refurbishing Skylab for use with the shuttle.

They were in the way for docking and NASA was wary of collisions.

I am aware of that and already tried to do it a while ago. It's not possible. You can't have a separate animated part on a part that is animated separately like that. The only way to do it would be to make the panels separate parts and use something like infernal robotics because the nodes have to be animated. I'm not doing that.

The station already has that white thermal blanket they planned to add for the reuse on space station freedom, but that's the best you are going to get.

Here's an image from last year during my attempt at getting the panels to do that, it caused big bugs with them where the animation would reset and play backwards each time you loaded the craft or just break altogether. It's because ksp can't have multiple animations on the same part that move the same mesh independently at the same time. Like I said you'd need infernal robotics to move the nodes and I don't want a dependency like that.

DhJfLJv.png

Edited by raidernick

8 minutes ago, raidernick said:

I am aware of that and already tried to do it a while ago. It's not possible. You can't have a separate animated part on a part that is animated separately like that. The only way to do it would be to make the panels separate parts and use something like infernal robotics because the nodes have to be animated. I'm not doing that.

No problem. I didn't know you you had already thought of this. In my mock-up of the power module, I've adjusted the design so the radiators don't collide with the aforementioned ATM solar arrays.

I'm also not aware of the mechanics of part mods and their corresponding restrictions.

Thank you for your prompt response.

Edited by Teslamax

• 2 weeks later...
On 15.05.2016 at 8:01 PM, raidernick said:

The station already has that white thermal blanket they planned to add for the reuse on space station freedom, but that's the best you are going to get.

Here's an image from last year during my attempt at getting the panels to do that, it caused big bugs with them where the animation would reset and play backwards each time you loaded the craft or just break altogether. It's because ksp can't have multiple animations on the same part that move the same mesh independently at the same time. Like I said you'd need infernal robotics to move the nodes and I don't want a dependency like that.

DhJfLJv.png

Why is it impossible? It is quite possible to do without a separate part.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok. I gotta ask. Why on earth, or in LEO for that fact lol, doesn't SkyLAB function as a lab, and process data to science? Btw, not trying to be snarky, maybe a bit humorous though. And would it be possible to edit a module manager entry to add this capability?

Sure thing. I'm half tempted to see if I can cobble something together using module manager files. Honestly i have no clue. lol. Me and a friend, via dmp, aren't career. We're in sandbox. But we're still running science just for fun. Like having functionality, even if there's no actual kickback. We're building a new station to replace one we have with a big-g science bay. A more veteran player said it looked very "organic". My buddy took it as meaning it looks very cobbled together, just a bunch of ships docked together. Anyways, thought Skylab, plus a couple of standard clamp o trons was the way to go. All in one, very monolithic. Good amount of battery. A lot of solar, though they don't track. I'm thinking the real ones didn't either. And seating for possible 6 scientists? It's a good, all in one start for our new station. Props man. 

42 minutes ago, Cobrag0318 said:

Sure thing. I'm half tempted to see if I can cobble something together using module manager files. Honestly i have no clue. lol. Me and a friend, via dmp, aren't career. We're in sandbox. But we're still running science just for fun. Like having functionality, even if there's no actual kickback. We're building a new station to replace one we have with a big-g science bay. A more veteran player said it looked very "organic". My buddy took it as meaning it looks very cobbled together, just a bunch of ships docked together. Anyways, thought Skylab, plus a couple of standard clamp o trons was the way to go. All in one, very monolithic. Good amount of battery. A lot of solar, though they don't track. I'm thinking the real ones didn't either. And seating for possible 6 scientists? It's a good, all in one start for our new station. Props man. 

the panels did not suntrack the station had to always face the sun anyway to use the apollo telescope mount for solar imaging so there was no need to have them track. Also yes it can hold 6 people as it had 2 docking ports for a csm which each held 3 people even though they only used one.

I saw. :-) like I said, being self sufficient makes it a good starter for a much larger station. Of note, even clicking to disable staging on the left panel, does not remove it from the staging queue. I haven't tested to see if it disables it anyways but just leave it showing in the queue. Or if it totally doesn't matter. Anyways, don't get too punchy on the staging or you may gimpify your panels despite turning the staging off in the VAB. Being able to disable the staging of the plate on bottom would be great. Or the ability to remove it. Glad I'm using KAS and had a spare docking ring. My dumb butt put a docking ring on it and jettisoned it accidentally. lol. 

Set up a module manager CFG file, to patch it with the pertinent sections I've found in other lab's files. Examples I looked at were the big-g science, MOL, and the stock lab. In the end, I just copied/used the modules from the stock lab. Loaded up KSP, started a new ship in VAB. Grabbed the skylab main module. Gave it scientists. Took it to launch pad and ran a couple of experiments. But still no option to research. VAB's right click on the part does not show it's a science lab. Must be missing something.

@PART[skylab
module]:Final{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 0
        dataStorage = 750
        crewsRequired = 1
        canResetConnectedModules = True
        canResetNearbyModules = True
        interactionRange = 5
        SurfaceBonus = 0.1
        ContextBonus = 0.25
        homeworldMultiplier = 0.1
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            amount = 10
        }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
        scientistBonus = 0.25    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
        researchTime = 7        //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 5    //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 500        //How much science can we store before having to transmit?        
        powerRequirement = 5    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }
}

• 4 weeks later...

@PART[skylab]:Final{
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceLab
        containerModuleIndex = 3
        dataStorage = 750
        crewsRequired = 1
        canResetConnectedModules = True
        canResetNearbyModules = True
        interactionRange = 5
        SurfaceBonus = 0.15
        ContextBonus = 0.5
        homeworldMultiplier = 0.15
        RESOURCE_PROCESS
        {
            name = ElectricCharge
            amount = 15
        }
    }
    MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleScienceConverter
        scientistBonus = 0.33    //Bonus per scientist star - need at least one! So 0.25x - 2.5x
        researchTime = 7.5        //Larger = slower.  Exponential!
        scienceMultiplier = 4    //How much science does data turn into?
        scienceCap = 850        //How much science can we store before having to transmit?        
        powerRequirement = 8    //EC/Sec to research
        ConverterName = Research
        StartActionName = Start Research
        StopActionName = Stop Research
    }

Working patch file. Adds research to your Skylab without changing Raidernick's original file. The stats are just borrowed from the Gemini MOL from Fasa. Sorry fasa. :-p I figured it should at least as capable as that, but feel free to change to make it better, or more accurately reflect Skylab's IRL abilities. Incidentally, I may add a patch for the telescope array part to give it some sort of "Solar observatory" experiment. To reflect that it did that IRL. If I can figure out how to make a new experiment.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 19/07/2016 at 1:58 PM, Cobrag0318 said:

Ok. I gotta ask. Why on earth, or in LEO for that fact lol, doesn't SkyLAB function as a lab, and process data to science? Btw, not trying to be snarky, maybe a bit humorous though. And would it be possible to edit a module manager entry to add this capability?

I am aware that I am necroing, so don't point it out. Adding a lab module to a CFG is really easy, just copy-paste from the stock one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.