[1.8.x - 1.12.x] Skylab - (Compatible with DECQ, OLDD, FASA) - 7-24-21

raidernick

This mod comes with everything you need to create your own Skylab, broken solar panels and all!

I went for the actual skylab rather than the intended one(EDIT: CONTAINS BOTH STATION VERSIONS NOW) with this design so this mod includes the main skylab module, left solar array, micrometeorite shields and nosecone. The textures were taken from actual reference shots of the station.

For all the "geniuses" who can't read and claim I steal all my stuff without attribution, try reading the bottom of any OP for any of my mods. I ALWAYS make an attribution list of the original mesh authors for parts if I use something that wasn't originally mine. I NEVER use something without contacting and asking the original author for permission even if they have an open license that allows usage without asking. I am always transparent about whether or not I made the parts from scratch and have NEVER claimed to have made something 100% myself when I did not. I kindly ask that people stop spreading lies around because they are angry and have a vendetta against me, you know who you are.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/2HVkc

jJuTzv0.png

m2tcklj.png

Stock Remotetech Support:

-If you use remotetech in STOCK KSP, here is a module manager config to make the probes compatible, if you use Realism Overhaul DO NOT USE THIS: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo0wbwycmlv0cz1/Skylab_RT.cfg?dl=0

Installation

Merge/Overwrite the Gamedata and Ship folders in your main KSP directory with the ones from this mod.

NOTE: This mod is compatible with my other mod's scaling by default if you have DECQ, FASA or OLDD Saturn V.

First download Module Manager here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219

NOTE: Added new module manager patch system, you no longer need to choose a patch to use, the right one will automatically activate depending on which mod you have installed. They activate in this order if you have more than one the supported mods installed FASA>OLDD>DECQ, with DECQ overwriting both previous patches.

Installation Instructions:

Dependencies include the most updated versions BD Animation, Smokescreen, ModuleManger, Texture Replacer and KSP-AVC for the specific version of KSP listed above.

This mod is also available on CKAN

NOTE: I DO NOT support CKAN installs, if you use ckan at all do not even bother submitting a bug report, I will ignore it. CKAN installs my mods incorrectly frequently, and other mods incorrectly which cause mine to not work(i.e. FAR, RSS, RO). If I continue to get false CKAN bug reports under the ruse of a manual install I'll be forced to change my license to forbid CKAN from listing my mods.

Important Notes

-DO NOT decouple the left solar panel on the "unbroken" version of the station. This panel has the ability to "come off" as it is used both by the realistic skylab and the unbroken one. It does not come off on the unbroken version.

-Stage your rocket so the micrometeorite shields and left solar array decouple at the same time as the first stage. The top nosecones should come off anytime after the second stage is lit.

Warnings

The Skylab ASAS must be used to properly control the station. The included craft files already have this installed on the station for you.

88x31.png

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/us/

This license does not cover mod packs. Putting my work into a mod pack is prohibited.

Using any of my mods names or likenesses, including in derivative works, expansions, addons is prohibited

Internal seats credit to: NoMrBond - Creative Commons BY 3.0 NZ

TRS, original early Skylab - Usonian

Firespitter - Snjo - License: You may reuse code and textures from this mod, as long as you give credit in the download file and on the download post/page. Reuse of models with permission. No reselling. No redistribution of the whole pack without permission. UV map texture guides are included so you can re-skin to your liking.

Reflection Plugin Source: https://github.com/raidernick/Reflection-Plugin-Continued

Bahasp and rnmodules source: https://github.com/raidernick/BDAnimationModules

Edited by raidernick

Nice. A bit underdetailed, and no IVA, but I guess I've been spoiled by Denny's models. :) Looking forward to the undamaged version.

4HKr2u2.png

n1130nK.png

The fairings are still wonky. I have yet to jettison them where they didn't eject in one piece or pass through the skylab itself. Its as if the farings are being jettisoned towards each other instead of away from each other. They also start upside down in the VAB.

The fairings are still wonky. I have yet to jettison them where they didn't eject in one piece or pass through the skylab itself. Its as if the farings are being jettisoned towards each other instead of away from each other. They also start upside down in the VAB.

I don't know why they are doing this. The nosecone seems to work ok but for some reason the meteor shields both jettison to the left. Also, as for the parts being upside down, again I have no idea why. I tried flipping them in both blender and unity and they always end up upside down ingame. I could use the help of someone more experienced on this as I am at a loss on how to fix these two things.

By fixing the decouplers I meant I fixed the ejection force because in 64 bit it is zero for some reason.

Edited by raidernick

Well I feel like an idiot now. Turns out the problems were due to mesh collisions and the fact that I copied the nodes from one file to another and forgot to edit them for each individual part. All the parts should now be right side up and decouple properly in opposite directions.

So here is v0.32

-Fixed the nose cone and meteor shields to decouple outwards and separately instead of sticking together

-The parts in the VAB are no longer upside down or difficult to place

-Updated the craft files for new part rotations. You MUST overwrite you old craft files with the new ones or everything will be screwed up.

Edited by raidernick

The fairings are much better. However they are still wonky. Micrometeorite shield decouples great. But I'm not quick enough to get a screen shot but the fairings jettison sideways. They don't open or jettison straight away from skylab. Half goes one way and half go the other. If I can get a screen shot I will but but it just doesn't look right. Still much much better! Well done.

Edit: I remember from when the Zenit launcher was in its development days Stubbles was have a similar problem with the fairings for that launcher and Im like 99% sure that the issue was that he has the torque setup too high for the fairings that they would separate sideways and almost float next to the ship. So maybe try lowering the torque on the ejection?

Edited by sp1989

I tried several ejection forces starting from 50 to 500 which it what it is currently at. It's not an ejection force issue. The issue is that you can only seem to eject in 2 directions, front and back, using a positive or negative ejection force. So the front and back fairings jettison properly but the left and right ones are thrown sideways with the front and back. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this using the stock decoupler module.

I tried several ejection forces starting from 50 to 500 which it what it is currently at. It's not an ejection force issue. The issue is that you can only seem to eject in 2 directions, front and back, using a positive or negative ejection force. So the front and back fairings jettison properly but the left and right ones are thrown sideways with the front and back. I'm not sure how to go about fixing this using the stock decoupler module.

So why not use a two piece fairing instead of a four?

Updated to V0.41

-Fixed TAC life support values

-Added connected living spaces compatibility

Would you consider doing a KW rocketry version? In the latest update they a very nice Saturn 5 like parts. Check out the Griffon Century Parts they are really nice.

I haven't downloaded the new KW yet. I'll check it out and see what I can do.

I'm struggling with launching it. Built a two-stage Saturn V using FASA parts and it tries to execute the circularization burn for a 70km orbit, but sadly the S-II runs out of fuel on the circularization burn (using MechJeb), so it falls victim to atmospheric drag like the real Skylab did, but does so before ever reaching a stable orbit.

What parameters are others using to achieve a successful launch using FASA parts? I'm using 4.97 in 0.24 x86.

I specifically tested it with a 2 stage fasa saturn 5. You should be able to get it into a 70-80km orbit with >100m/s of dv left in the second stage tank. Since you are using mechjeb try this flight profile.

turn start altitude: 1km

turn end altitude: 70km

turn shape: 64%

EDIT: Just tested it again on a stock game with only mechjeb, FASA and this mod.

Here are the results:

skylab_testflight.png

Look at the flight profile and DV left in the tank. In fact, I burned the remaining fuel off and it was enough to get me to a 500km apogee. During my initial test flights I did this by hand to make sure it was possible without mechjeb and I was left with about 1/3 of the fuel that mechjeb finishes with so it is possible both ways.

Edited by raidernick

That worked nicely! Accidentally launched the damaged version, but it's happily whizzing about in low orbit. Now, to decide whether to send a crew first or send a boost module first and complete the job the delayed Shuttle never did.

It looks great. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.