[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

I'll have to look into how I set up the solar panel in Unity. I probably attached the raycastTransform to the wrong rotation point. The plugs could probably get a weight reduction.

In regards to the parts shifting / exploding, I'm not sure how much we can do. It sounds more like a KAS limitation to me, but it can probably be mitigated if we fudge the colliders some. With that said, I've never noticed any of that happening in the (admittedly short) time I've playtested. I'll keep an eye out for it so I can get an idea of how to fix it.

@cdsang they were saying to post your config using the same 'code' formatting that @Kerbas_ad_astra used. You can use it by clicking the '<>' button on the post formatting toolbar, then past your code in.

It is possible that I am an idiot here but I cannot seem to get anything to work beyond the base station run central station tests.  None of the other parts have menus from EVA or are able to be selected in any way?  How does one run the experiments after setting them up?  I'm using a scientist BTW.

Edited by Maarek_Stele

9 hours ago, Maarek_Stele said:

It is possible that I am an idiot here but I cannot seem to get anything to work beyond the base station run central station tests.  None of the other parts have menus from EVA or are able to be selected in any way?  How does one run the experiments after setting them up?  I'm using a scientist BTW.

Do you have the updated version of DMagicScienceAnimate installed? Because it sounds like a problem with that.

Edited by AlbertKermin

I can't seem to be able to connect the power plugs with each other. When i attach the power plugs, right clicking does not bring up a menu. I have installed all three inventory, storage and science mods for 1.0.5

Nevermind, I figured it out guys. I was missing a required mod. I mixed up KAS with someother mod i downloaded. Great Mod btw :)

Edited by Nejat
Own fault

Here is my remote tech CFG file I use for the mod if anyone needs it. The range on the antenna might need to be adjusted but it is working.

@PART[SEP_CentralStation]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
	%MODULE[ModuleSPU] {
	}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%allowManualControl = false
	}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntenna] {
		%Mode0OmniRange = 0
		%Mode1OmniRange = 2500000
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%EnergyCost = 0.13

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
		dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
	}
}

On 2/6/2016 at 9:37 AM, CobaltWolf said:

In regards to the parts shifting / exploding, I'm not sure how much we can do. It sounds more like a KAS limitation to me, but it can probably be mitigated if we fudge the colliders some. With that said, I've never noticed any of that happening in the (admittedly short) time I've playtested. I'll keep an eye out for it so I can get an idea of how to fix it.

I have a suggestion here.....  Eliminate the conduit plugs as separate parts and instead just make the experiments and central station link directly to each other.  @Angel-125 did this with his Pathfinder, where numerous parts have built-in KAS pipe connectors.  This has many advantages:

• Reduces part count significantly
  • Reduces number of joints and KAS connections, thereby making the assembly less appetizing to the Kraken,  Much less shifting and exploding of stuff.
  • Reduces the potential for user error and accidentally dropped connectors exploding and therefore scuppering the whole mission
  • Frees up inventory space in containers and Kerbals
  • Eliminates problems in the VAB/SPH where the green node sphere totally hides the tiny connector plug so you can't tell which way it's facing if you're trying to preconnect the parts there instead of doing it all in the field.

Anyhow, I find having built-in connection points a major improvement for the above reasons.

Just looking to get the CKAN submission for this cleared up. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the DMagicScienceAnimate plugin used by any other mods, or did @DMagic make it specifically for this?
  2. Which BSD licence are you using, specifically: Original BSD, Modified BSD , or Simplified BSD?

2 hours ago, NotAgain said:

Is there any plan for RemoteTech integration?

Please read the entire first and last page before posting a new question, odds are that a common issue and solution will be on those pages. Scroll up and you will see a config for Remote Tech.

10 hours ago, politas said:

Just looking to get the CKAN submission for this cleared up. I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the DMagicScienceAnimate plugin used by any other mods, or did @DMagic make it specifically for this?
  2. Which BSD licence are you using, specifically: Original BSD, Modified BSD , or Simplified BSD?

It is used by other mods, @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau is the only other active mod that I'm aware of. And I'm not sure of this mod's license but mine is the simplified, 2-clause BSD. 

Its download link is at GitHub.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

It is used by other mods, @CobaltWolf's Bluedog Design Bureau is the only other active mod that I'm aware of. And I'm not sure of this mod's license but mine is the simplified, 2-clause BSD. 

@DMagic is correct, his plugin would have to be a separate dependency in CKAN, especially if BDB ever gets CKAN support.

I'm not sure what license we use. I'll have to speak with Albert about it.

2 hours ago, DMagic said:

Thanks, @DMagic, I'll get that added to CKAN so it can be a dependency.

I got tired of seeing experiments listed in the "[X] Science!" mod that could not be done and made a change to the file that filters experiments to remove them.

For anyone wanting a copy here is what I use for my gamedata/[x] science!/science.cfg

ScienceChecklist
{
	CelestialBodyFilters
	{
		dmbiodrillscan = NeedsAtmosphere
		HMI = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow
		STEREO = NeedsStar, NeedsInSpaceLow
		SEP_StationTest = NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_SolarwindSpectrum = AvoidAtmosphere, NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_WeatherScan = NeedsAtmosphere, NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_CCIDscan = AvoidAtmosphere, NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_PSE = NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_Retroreflector = NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
		SEP_InteriorHeatScan = NeedsSurface, AvoidOcean
	}
}

I think I got all the experiments into the file now except the golf club because it should work on any biome.  :)

Edited by Vaga
Updated code

1 hour ago, Canis said:

Is their an alternative download location now that Kerbal Stuff is no more? 

Not at the moment. @AlbertKermin was close to releasing an update (just some bugfixes, more sciencedefs) so I'll defer to him getting that out in the next couple days. Albert, once I have the update (just send me the finished version, I don't need dev stuff atm) I'll make a Github repo to use from now on. I've been meaning to move my mods over to it for months now.

EDIT: Also welcome to the forums! :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf, @AlbertKermin, glad to hear you're moving this to Github. If you include an AVC .version file, CKAN can pick up KSP version compatibility information from that source. Didn't manage to get this added to CKAN before KS went down, so it's in a limbo. I'm happy to fix up the CKAN submission when you get set up on Github. Any chance you could ping me when you get the github release done?

I Project Alexandria, I'm landing Apollo 11 for my next video. I was going to use this mod as part of that mission to simulate surface experiments they left behind. I did not download it before Kerbalstuff exploded. I too eagerly await seeing the news that this is available on git.

39 minutes ago, politas said:

@CobaltWolf, @AlbertKermin, glad to hear you're moving this to Github. If you include an AVC .version file, CKAN can pick up KSP version compatibility information from that source. Didn't manage to get this added to CKAN before KS went down, so it's in a limbo. I'm happy to fix up the CKAN submission when you get set up on Github. Any chance you could ping me when you get the github release done?

Sure! I'll PM you once I get it set up. Uhm, I'll have to look in how to make a version file.

13 minutes ago, Felbourn said:

I Project Alexandria, I'm landing Apollo 11 for my next video. I was going to use this mod as part of that mission to simulate surface experiments they left behind. I did not download it before Kerbalstuff exploded. I too eagerly await seeing the news that this is available on git.

@AlbertKermin sent me the updated version (1.1) of Surface Experiment Package last night. I've temporarily uploaded it to my DropBox, I have night classes the next two nights so I'll have to find time to do it later in the week.

ALSO, tentative plans for additions in the next update:

• Low profile KAS storage.
  • Lunar Surface magnetometer
  • Solar Wind Composition Experiment
  • Camera Experiment (w/ Tripod)
  • Active Seismic Experiment
  • Another handheld experiment

(Still taking suggestions)

A suggestion that I would like to see, would be an antenna to transmit data over long distances and limit the omni in the core a few kilometers, that way you could use the lander as a repeater, or put the large antenna and collect data when you leave the place

Something like this:

AS12-47-6988.jpg

And the rover, rovers are always welcome :D