[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Based on what @VaPaL reported, it's because SEP is broken. We figured out what the issue was, a bug in the SEP sciencedefs breaking all the ones that load in after it (they load in alphabetically by folder) but I'm not sure if I managed to fix it. Do all the SEP experiments work?

I tested any of them and appears to work! Later i go to test again and all experiments and post here ok?

12 minutes ago, Leandro Basi said:

I tested any of them and appears to work! Later i go to test again and all experiments and post here ok?

I just managed to get the game working and everything worked on my end as well!

vkM00cB.png

I'll edit this post in a moment with links to the new downloads. Thank you so much to everyone who helped get things working again! As for experiments possibly exploding / not attaching properly to the ground, that apparently has to do with KIS/KAS joint strength. I'll be keeping an eye on it and seeing if I can make improvements.

EDIT:

SEP v1.4.1

Download from Spacedock or Github.

Changelog:

-Fixed broken sciencedefs configs.
-Minor edit to the screwdriver's description.

EDIT2: @AlbertKermin can you update the thread title to reflect the version and date for the update, as well as marking the KSP version as 1.1.2?

Edited by CobaltWolf

For me it's not working, will delete everything, download 1.4 (not just sciencedefs.cfg) and try again later. This is what I'm getting: 

JQYCruw.png

EDIT: I'm testing with USI mods, don't know if it changes anything or not.

Anyway, if it's working for other, maybe it's some problem with my oldS machine. Sorry for the trouble.

Edited by VaPaL

On 5/1/2016 at 1:13 AM, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

@dewdkorn6969, you were right -- after further testing, it's clear that it's not just the equals signs.  I happened to glance at the experiment definition in ModuleManager.ConfigCache, and the SEP_GravityScan definition had a whole bunch of junk characters it.  Looking more closely at the ScienceDefs.cfg file, there are non-printing characters or something that KSP may be choking on (which may be what's causing trouble for Sounding Rockets, since it comes in a folder that gets loaded later).  @CobaltWolf, was that part of the file copied over from a word processor or something?  I remember an earlier prerelease had some fancy quote marks that KSP didn't like either.

Actually, I wrote the files in the note app on my iPod, e-mailed them to myself, and then ran them through a word processor to spell-check before making the final changes in Notepad. It's not at all surprising some strange characters crept in :(

19 minutes ago, AlbertKermin said:

Actually, I wrote the files in the note app on my iPod, e-mailed them to myself, and then ran them through a word processor to spell-check before making the final changes in Notepad. It's not at all surprising some strange characters crept in :(

Well, it's good to at least know that this was what was causing issue with the KSP Sounding Rockets--I was wondering about that myself. I'll eagerly await a patch whenever that comes out (it's hardly urgent of course). 

@CobaltWolf1.4.1 still has the spaces there... here i edited the offending characters off this sciencedefs.. use this to make any edits you need.. only changes i see u made on 1.4.1 is the missing = signs and the spacing on some of them... this is the sciencedefs im using and having no issues with on my career everything works except i dont see any animations on the experiments besides the weather station and the central telemetry antennae annimation but im not having any issues with attaching and stuff besides the normal odd kis behavior.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wv2txhju33bskpu/SEP_ScienceDefs.cfg?dl=0

6 hours ago, VaPaL said:

For me it's not working, will delete everything, download 1.4 (not just sciencedefs.cfg) and try again later. This is what I'm getting: 

EDIT: I'm testing with USI mods, don't know if it changes anything or not.

Anyway, if it's working for other, maybe it's some problem with my oldS machine. Sorry for the trouble.

Ah, found the fix! Disregard the PM I sent you about testing some fixes.

@CobaltWolf I redownloaded and reinstalled it before seeing your reply and PM, it worked, even on my 1.1.0 install with 45 mods! Some older version's file must had remained or a corrupted download.

Thanks for your time and effort, sorry if a troubled unecessarily.

17 hours ago, dewdkorn6969 said:

@CobaltWolf1.4.1 still has the spaces there... here i edited the offending characters off this sciencedefs.. use this to make any edits you need.. only changes i see u made on 1.4.1 is the missing = signs and the spacing on some of them... this is the sciencedefs im using and having no issues with on my career everything works except i dont see any animations on the experiments besides the weather station and the central telemetry antennae annimation but im not having any issues with attaching and stuff besides the normal odd kis behavior.

At the moment none of the other experiments animate. That is the intended behavior. Simply put there wasn't much to animate on many of them.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If the sciencedefs are working I'm not inclined to mess with them more.

10 hours ago, Apollo13 said:

I'm still seeing parts explode on the surface.  My work-around is to place a KIS Concrete Base on the Minmus surface, then place the SEP experiment on top of it.

I'm aware, I wasn't able to do much about that issue. I'm putting it on hold for now.

1 minute ago, VaPaL said:

@CobaltWolf I redownloaded and reinstalled it before seeing your reply and PM, it worked, even on my 1.1.0 install with 45 mods! Some older version's file must had remained or a corrupted download.

Thanks for your time and effort, sorry if a troubled unecessarily.

Alright, awesome! Good to hear.

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm aware, I wasn't able to do much about that issue. I'm putting it on hold for now.

As I mentioned earlier, I believe this to be a KSP issue (items explode on surface due to collision meshes) that Squad is unable to fix.  Not a SEP problem; not your problem.  I only suggested a work-around, so that others might use it

Love your mod.  SEP got the final 1500 Science I needed to complete the tech tree in career mode on Minmus.

Just now, Wuwuk said:

Sorry for my bad English.
Earlier this mod was to scan, it is now gone.

Oh it's no problem. I actually apologize for that, I am getting fairly frustrated at work right now. I shouldn't have replied.

Is it no longer listed on CKAN? Or does it not show as working with 1.1.2?

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh it's no problem. I actually apologize for that, I am getting fairly frustrated at work right now. I shouldn't have replied.

Is it no longer listed on CKAN? Or does it not show as working with 1.1.2?

Is it no longer listed on CKAN at all .

6 minutes ago, Wuwuk said:

Oh. Uh. @politas, you set up the CKAN listing for us originally. What happened? Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: @Wuwuk thanks for letting me know.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Epic mod! Beautiful additional content for KIS/KAS users. Thanks for sharing, guys.

I've found a typo in one of the science experiment flavor texts:

Spoiler

AQa7bB7.png

Makes me cringe whenever I see that one, so, I brought a little reminder.  Please don't hate me for being a smartass :sealed:

26 minutes ago, Honeybadga said:

Epic mod! Beautiful additional content for KIS/KAS users. Thanks for sharing, guys.

Reveal hidden contents

AQa7bB7.png

Makes me cringe whenever I see that one, so, I brought a little reminder.  Please don't hate me for being a smartass :sealed:

Dude... lolz

:wink:

CM

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:
14 hours ago, Wuwuk said:

Oh. Uh. @politas, you set up the CKAN listing for us originally. What happened? Is there anything I can do?

EDIT: @Wuwuk thanks for letting me know.

It's a known bug of CKAN. DMagicScienceAnimate is still marked as 1.1.0, so it won't show up in any category of CKAN until all dependencies are compatible.

10 hours ago, Honeybadga said:

Hide contents

AQa7bB7.png

Ah, wrong word bugs. :( Thanks for catching it!

Amazing mod, here is my latest creation. I mixed the mod with KAS, KIS, other science mods and stock science parts. Some parts of the Surface Experiment pack were exploding when in contact with the ground so I attached them into something else to avoid contact with the ground. KAS conectors work with the mod allowing you to mix everything together, I have remote tech installed and the science station now counts as a probe (i placed a core) and can be operated remotely (place an antena)..qq1VM1R.jpg

@Kadrush, Impressive setup, but you can use each experiment only once per biome.  That's a lot to have to remove, unless you plan on just leaving it there.

I setup three KAS/KIS Concrete Bases, placed an experiment on each; did the experiments; removed experiments; did next three experiments; took it all down; moved it to another biome; repeat.

//CSB...