[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

... I'm probably going to just make it last like 10 seconds haha. But I like that idea.

The only thing Id specify for this is there needs to be some sort of animation or clue that something is happening, so people wont think that its broken when they cant tell if anything is happening at all. But yeah, cool stuff! :)

35 minutes ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

The only thing Id specify for this is there needs to be some sort of animation or clue that something is happening, so people wont think that its broken when they cant tell if anything is happening at all. But yeah, cool stuff! :)

You can have the lost it move from left to tight and up ad down

On 6/12/2016 at 0:30 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

No offense but you literally didn't answer any of my questions. I didn't ask anything about connections breaking...

It seems it combined too of my posts, and didn't properly quote either.

On 6/12/2016 at 7:07 PM, Kerbonaut257 said:

No he didn't. I was asking first of all how to keep the experiments from exploding, not the plugs. And "ground base" doesn't mean anything to me. I don't think I have that.

And the second question he didn't answer at all, which was asking about the battery packs.

The experiments explode when the move around on the ground.

You need to secure them to the ground using a kerbol engineer and a tool.

Any experiments that don't properly secure to the ground need a ground base, which is an item in your KAS pack for mounting items to the ground in a more secure fashion.

On 6/12/2016 at 9:06 PM, VaPaL said:

@CobaltWolf I start having problems with the battery, when all plugs are connected it freaks out, starts shaking, them floating, explodes some experiments, go flying away with or without some experiments connected to it. It started since the last "update". Before, when you connected the first plug, it used to float a bit them settle down and was ok. Sometimes the experiments didn't connected to the central station through it, but the work arround was just unlink, disconnect the plug and redo it. I think, maybe, the plug is to wide and touches the ground, the colliders intersection may cause this, just a guess though. Next time this happens I'll take some screenshots.

EDIT: Heres a screenshot form the 'not connected with central station' problem, it was from 1.1.0, but happens sometimes in 1.1.2, it's more commom when you load a quicksave.

8y9IXXS.png

Yes, perfect example, basically if you are having trouble with an experiment slipping, use a ground base as pictured here.  I commonly have problems with my control station and batteries slipping.  The battery has a lot of stuff attached to it, and the central station is just big and bulky.

Edited by Ruedii

18 hours ago, Rafael acevedo said:

You can have the lost it move from left to tight and up ad down

Here is what we can do  single Kramer/kapow unit , upon activation ( in animation th else it and the kablooey pop out of their respective door and the kablooey is released and lost to infinity while he lose it moves tracks slowly upward and either left or right. 

Now one we have a couple of options we could

a. Show a countdown timer with percentage complete and after 30 min release the results, 

b. Show processing, wait 30 seconds and release the results.

ro ensure repeatability, I have 5 different responses to the experiments that can be randomized...

your thought

11 hours ago, Ruedii said:

It seems it combined too of my posts, and didn't properly quote either.

The experiments explode when the move around on the ground.

You need to secure them to the ground using a kerbol engineer and a tool.

Any experiments that don't properly secure to the ground need a ground base, which is an item in your KAS pack for mounting items to the ground in a more secure fashion.

I had the very same thing. Had a good laugh and then just started using ground bases for all items and it works fine that way. 

On 6/23/2016 at 8:51 PM, HelmetHawk said:

Is this mod bugged for 1.1.3? No matter what I do, I get the 'All SEP experiments must be attached to the SEP Central Station in order to operate.' message.

I think the problem is with KAS not SEP.  I am not sure, beacuse my logs aren't entirely clear, but it looks like KAS is not recognizing links (at least for SEP).

On 6/23/2016 at 8:51 PM, HelmetHawk said:

Is this mod bugged for 1.1.3? No matter what I do, I get the 'All SEP experiments must be attached to the SEP Central Station in order to operate.' message.

That particular function relies on KAS, so it may be a KAS issue.

19 hours ago, DiceCaller said:

There is a new version of KAS and SEP works great once it is installed.  Love that science!!!

Hey I've got all these newfangled versions installed and running 1.1.3 but still getting the same damn behavior! (Experiments don't recognize being connected). Any thoughts what I could be doing wrong? 

4 minutes ago, DaveBowman said:

Hey I've got all these newfangled versions installed and running 1.1.3 but still getting the same damn behavior! (Experiments don't recognize being connected). Any thoughts what I could be doing wrong? 

I had to disconnect and then re-link each experiment that I had already placed.  I have done two missions to the Mun now and collected the science.  (Although the second time I took the 'atmosphere' expirements.. >DOH<

To prevent explosions, I really like using "the Patio" from the Pathfinder Mod. 

I fill two small lockers, one has the Patio, the SEP base station and tools.  The other has the experiments.  I then shuffle plugs until it is balanced.

On 6/28/2016 at 4:26 PM, DaveBowman said:

First, try a new save file.

Second, make sure your plugs are securely connected.  (Yes, you need to use the plugs).

Third, make sure the station has power.

On 6/27/2016 at 5:57 PM, DaveBowman said:

@AlbertKermin Hey there I think this is incredibly cool and I really want to use it, but for some reason cannot get experiments to run -- says they are disconnected when they aren't: http://imgur.com/e7Vvp1P

From the looks of that picture it isn't connected?

fCycFFr.png

Anyways, @Nils277 has donated science definitions for an atmospheric analysis experiment! This experiment serves as a more detailed version of the high level atmospheric analysis unit in stock. It's on THE TODO LIST, along with some variation of @Rafael acevedo's KABLOOEY / LOSE-IT experiment.

I am also getting ready to attempt (again) to fix the exploding-ness of many of the parts in this pack.

EDIT: I THINK I FOUND IT!!!

Edited by CobaltWolf

SEP v1.4.2

-Possible fix for exploding experiments
-Two new power connectors

So, basically there was a number in the KIS configuration for parts that determined the strength of the attachment force when attaching to static objects (IE, the ground, and KSC buildings). For the KIS Ground Base, the breaking force was set to 2000. For SEP, all the parts were at *10*. Or, IIRC, right around the force of gravity, not including any external factors (such as physics jitter). I never saw this value, since I wasn't looking very closely at the KIS modules on the parts, as I expected to find the issues elsewhere. I have not had a chance to test this (really I was supposed to be doing something else right now) so PLSPLSPLS let me know if that is the solution to the (as far as I know) only major issue currently plaguing SEP. And then I don't have to see screenshots of y'all lugging giant ugly concrete slabs to the Mun, and you can bury the experiments in the dirt where they belong!

I also included the two new power connectors that were kicking around. One is just a linear connector, so that the more enterprising users can extend the range of their setups, and the other is a simple four way connector, that is lighter, smaller, and cheaper than the power station, at the cost of not having batteries.

YbrFcMx.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Just now, Kadrush said:

Amazing work!!! Now just a few more mods and i can play again.

Is it going to be on ckan? my older version is from there

Neither I or @AlbertKermin maintain the CKAN configs for this mod. :) I have not pushed the update to Spacedock yet (I need confirmation that I haven't buggered anything up) but once I do, I believe CKAN will scrape the data from Spacedock and see that it is 1.1.3 compatible. As long as DMSA, KIS, and KAS are working in 1.1.3 then SEP should work.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Neither I or @AlbertKermin maintain the CKAN configs for this mod. :) I have not pushed the update to Spacedock yet (I need confirmation that I haven't buggered anything up) but once I do, I believe CKAN will scrape the data from Spacedock and see that it is 1.1.3 compatible. As long as DMSA, KIS, and KAS are working in 1.1.3 then SEP should work.

Thanks and nice job on this mod and bluedog, both are just essential for me to play with (along TAC life support and remote tech)

Just now, Kadrush said:

Thanks and nice job on this mod and bluedog, both are just essential for me to play with (along TAC life support and remote tech)

Thanks! Does BDB work with TAC? We never wrote any configs for it or any other life support. If you wrote them I'd love to include them in the BDB download! But that should go on the other thread :)

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I guess TAC uses module manager to add life support resources to all command pods, Bluedog or not. Never had any issue with both working together.

On the other hand, i tend to avoid bluedog command mods for 1.5m and 1.875 (i guess thats the size) because i lack a service bay to fit under it, goes as a suggestion as i tend to avoid tweak scalling things.

Edited by Kadrush