[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

OK, at this point, there are several things I'm looking into with regards to future updates:

- Dunrana is still helping me with the New Horizons defs, but he's also busy with another project, so it's slow going. They're partway done, though, so it shouldn't take that long once we find some time.

- I'm thinking about making a separate version for use with RSS. Is this something there would be an interest in?

4 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

OK, at this point, there are several things I'm looking into with regards to future updates:

- Dunrana is still helping me with the New Horizons defs, but he's also busy with another project, so it's slow going. They're partway done, though, so it shouldn't take that long once we find some time.

- I'm thinking about making a separate version for use with RSS. Is this something there would be an interest in?

Also, if anyone has any favorite ALSEP experiments, speak up! Personally I'd like to try and get the mortar working...

What about the PSEP (Passive Seismic Experiment Package). Basically it was the central station for Apollo 11. Also, I'd love to see the Lunar Surface Magnetometer or Gravimeter.

As for other experiments. Well I wish there'd be some way to have more experiments for planets with atmospheres.

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

What about the PSEP (Passive Seismic Experiment Package). Basically it was the central station for Apollo 11. Also, I'd love to see the Lunar Surface Magnetometer or Gravimeter.

As for other experiments. Well I wish there'd be some way to have more experiments for planets with atmospheres.

PSEP is probably not going to be done since it's the same thing as the PSE that's already in the mod. The solar panels for it are also included. I plan on doing the LSM and LSG.

Atmospheric experiments are also planned. There is one dedicated experiment in the current release as is. We're not sticking strictly to ALSEP, so if you have any more ideas for atmospheric experiments please share.

5 hours ago, stardestroyer said:

Hope to see this on CKan soon!! :)

Well... @AlbertKermin, did you check the CKAN box when you uploaded to KS? Every time I try and get CKAN integration working for something I wind up wanting to chug bleach.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

PSEP is probably not going to be done since it's the same thing as the PSE that's already in the mod. The solar panels for it are also included. I plan on doing the LSM and LSG.

Atmospheric experiments are also planned. There is one dedicated experiment in the current release as is. We're not sticking strictly to ALSEP, so if you have any more ideas for atmospheric experiments please share.

Well... @AlbertKermin, did you check the CKAN box when you uploaded to KS? Every time I try and get CKAN integration working for something I wind up wanting to chug bleach.

@CobaltWolfI think I did? My version of CKAN can't even see it- although, to be fair, I've never managed to get CKAN working that well.

Edited by AlbertKermin

41 minutes ago, cdsang said:

I made a quick Remote Tech CFG for the control station. might be a little OP on range but that was simply for testing. I can change it to whatever but I have no clue how to send a file.

For a config patch, you can click the "<>" (angle-brackets) button in the editor and paste the code in, like so (here's a config for AntennaRange):

@PART[SEP_CentralStation]:NEEDS[AntennaRange]
{
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@name = ModuleLimitedDataTransmitter
		nominalRange = 6364
		simpleRange = 20500000
		maxPowerFactor = 8
		maxDataFactor = 4
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
		dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
	}
}

Oh I already did all that, but I guess if anyone wants to copy that into a config file there you go. shouldn't take more then 5 mins to get your self setup. config should keep working working after updates as long as the name doesn't change.

51 minutes ago, cdsang said:

Oh I already did all that, but I guess if anyone wants to copy that into a config file there you go. shouldn't take more then 5 mins to get your self setup. config should keep working working after updates as long as the name doesn't change.

HEHE where did you post then ? and if you read post by Kerbas_ad_astra 

you will see

(here's a config for AntennaRange)

Thats not  Remote Tech 

But, I have used AntennaRange for sometime now but the RT plays might like it if you posted it :)

I think you misunderstood. I made a config file for it but I just don't know how to make it so people can download it. if someone could tell me how to make it available for others, I will gladly share my config file. Of course you could just use Kerbas_ad_astra's  post and create your own.

I don't know if a bug or intentional, but with my setup on the mun the solar panel doesn't work. It's directly surface attached to the central station, and when I switch control to the central station and right click the solar panel, it says 0 sun exposure, during the daytime. Does it require the girder to work?

http://i.imgur.com/QQFZLur.png

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

I don't know if a bug or intentional, but with my setup on the mun the solar panel doesn't work. It's directly surface attached to the central station, and when I switch control to the central station and right click the solar panel, it says 0 sun exposure, during the daytime. Does it require the girder to work?

http://i.imgur.com/QQFZLur.png

Ok, I think I know what the problem might be.  The transform for incoming rays is at a slight angle to the panel itself, so even though it looks like it's in direct sunlight at that point, the panel is convinced it's not. You could use the girder, or just wait until the sun is a little closer the horizon, or just rotate the panel 180 degrees.

41 minutes ago, AlbertKermin said:

Ok, I think I know what the problem might be.  The transform for incoming rays is at a slight angle to the panel itself, so even though it looks like it's in direct sunlight at that point, the panel is convinced it's not. You could use the girder, or just wait until the sun is a little closer the horizon, or just rotate the panel 180 degrees.

Yep, putting it on facing towards the ground helped lol.

And a couple of observations from playing with this for a bit:

The power conduit plugs are very heavy, considering how many you generally need to set up a few experiments. If you're carrying more than 1 or 2 of them, you can't lift off from the mun's surface with a kerbal's EVA suit thrusters.

The cold-cathode ion detector experiment has a tendency to explode when you attach a power plug to it. Not all the time, but I've had one explode 3 times out of 6 now. (liberal use of F5 is my recommendation when setting these up)

And power plugs attached to the central station are in a slightly different position when the scene is reloaded (eg F5-F9), the spacing between each one is smaller than normal. I think this also happens with the battery somewhat as well, plugs attached to the end sockets tend to sink into the model, making right-click access a bit tricky sometimes.

Otherwise, really liking the mod! The models especially are great