[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

2 minutes ago, Nemeko said:

A suggestion that I would like to see, would be an antenna to transmit data over long distances and limit the omni in the core a few kilometers, that way you could use the lander as a repeater, or put the large antenna and collect data when you leave the place

Something like this:

*image snip*

And the rover, rovers are always welcome :D

I mean, I could make the antenna. But what purpose would it serve in the stock game? (I don't remember the specifics of the new comms system that's coming in 1.2)

The rover was planned for the 3rd expansion.

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sure! I'll PM you once I get it set up. Uhm, I'll have to look in how to make a version file.

@AlbertKermin sent me the updated version (1.1) of Surface Experiment Package last night. I've temporarily uploaded it to my DropBox, I have night classes the next two nights so I'll have to find time to do it later in the week.

ALSO, tentative plans for additions in the next update:

• Low profile KAS storage.
  • Lunar Surface magnetometer
  • Solar Wind Composition Experiment
  • Camera Experiment (w/ Tripod)
  • Active Seismic Experiment
  • Another handheld experiment

(Still taking suggestions)

Have the camera with hullcam VDS. :D

Also, what about this?

ALSEP_AS11-40-5951.jpg

We technically have the panels, but not the core. Would love to see an independent version of this.

Just now, davidy12 said:

Have the camera with hullcam VDS. :D

We technically have the panels, but not the core. Would love to see an independent version of this.

We have the PSE you boob.

I mean, it would be fun (though difficult, since I don't think you can view through the camera while controlling kerbals) but I'm not doing Hullcam configs.

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

We have the PSE you boob.

HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME AND USE MY FAVORITE BIRD TO INSULT ME!!!! XD

XD (I'm serious though on the bird) That's not the PSE. Though, I thought that was the central station for Apollo 11.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean, I could make the antenna. But what purpose would it serve in the stock game? (I don't remember the specifics of the new comms system that's coming in 1.2)

The rover was planned for the 3rd expansion.

I mean, in stock if you haven't the antenna you can not transmit science

5 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME AND USE MY FAVORITE BIRD TO INSULT ME!!!! XD

XD (I'm serious though on the bird) That's not the PSE. Though, I thought that was the central station for Apollo 11.

Go away.

(j/k but seriously that's the PSE. IIRC the EASEP didn't have a central station.)

1 minute ago, Nemeko said:

I mean, the central station already has an antenna. I'm somewhat confused as to what the difference, ie why on some of the ALSEPs they brought a big dish but IIRC some only had the whip antenna on the central station.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 4:12 PM, Nemeko said:
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:59 PM, Nemeko said:

A suggestion that I would like to see, would be an antenna to transmit data over long distances and limit the omni in the core a few kilometers, that way you could use the lander as a repeater, or put the large antenna and collect data when you leave the place

Something like this:

And the rover, rovers are always welcome :D

It would no be hard to add a small Omni antenna to the probe core with the CFG file then just limit the distance or disable the other antenna. You don't need to change the default use because it is needed for the stock game.  If you simply change the value of the Omni to something like 3000-5000 then you should be good.  3000 is the default for probe cores and 5000 is the small Omni in Remote Tech. Then just change the antenna to Passive.

Edited by Vaga

4 minutes ago, Vaga said:

It would no be hard to add a small Omni antenna to the probe core with the CFG file then just limit the distance or disable the other antenna. You don't need to change the default use because it is needed for the stock game.  If you simply change the value of the Omni to something like 3000-5000 then you should be good.  3000 is the default for probe cores and 5000 is the small Omni in Remote Tech.

What? 2.5Mm is that Communotron 16 in RemoteTech I think.

Sorry about the delay re:GitHub release guys. I know that Spacedock is a thing now but I'd like to move primary hosting to GitHub, especially since this is a collaborative project and that will make it easier to keep track of things.

@politas how exactly would I have to format this for it to get indexed properly? Like, is it just a zip/GameData/SurfaceExperimentPackage with the .version file in there?

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

What? 2.5Mm is that Communotron 16 in RemoteTech I think.

Sorry about the delay re:GitHub release guys. I know that Spacedock is a thing now but I'd like to move primary hosting to GitHub, especially since this is a collaborative project and that will make it easier to keep track of things.

@politas how exactly would I have to format this for it to get indexed properly? Like, is it just a zip/GameData/SurfaceExperimentPackage with the .version file in there?

@PART[SEP_CentralStation]:NEEDS[RemoteTech]
{
	%MODULE[ModuleSPUPassive] {
	}

@MODULE[ModuleAnimateGeneric]
	{
		%allowManualControl = false
	}

%MODULE[ModuleRTAntennaPassive] {
		%Mode0OmniRange = 0
		%Mode1OmniRange = 5000
		%MaxQ = 6000
		%EnergyCost = 0.13

%DeployFxModules = 0

%TRANSMITTER {
			%PacketInterval = 0.3
			%PacketSize = 2
			%PacketResourceCost = 15.0
		}
	}

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleScienceContainer

dataIsCollectable = true
		dataIsStorable = false

storageRange = 2
	}
}

That should work as a small probe core with the 5000m Passive Omni  antenna from Remote Tech.

(Remote Tech is needed for this CFG but you could do something similar in antenna Range depending on what is being used.)

Also with this change the antenna should always be on and you don't turn it on or off.

Edited by Vaga

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

What use would a 5000m antenna be? Unless you're trying to uplink it to the lander which is parked nearby.

Yes that would be if someone wanted to transmit to the lander or rover then have an uplink to a satellite that then transmits it back to kerbin.

Just now, Vaga said:

Yes that would be if someone wanted to transmit to the lander or rover then have an uplink to a satellite that then transmits it back to kerbin.

Ok then. I guess my confusion is that IIRC the low gain antenna on the central station WAS used to transmit back to Earth. I think the big dish was a high gain antenna that could transfer more data.

I think having the dish be capable of directly transmitting back (either to Kerbin or a comm satellite if you're on a far body) would be good, and let the central station relay stuff.

2 minutes ago, Vaga said:

However if you think about how the core part operates It should have a minimum of the Communotron 16 and that was why I kept the original Omni antenna with the longer range.

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok then. I guess my confusion is that IIRC the low gain antenna on the central station WAS used to transmit back to Earth. I think the big dish was a high gain antenna that could transfer more data.

I think having the dish be capable of directly transmitting back (either to Kerbin or a comm satellite if you're on a far body) would be good, and let the central station relay stuff.

You could still change the antenna to work like a dish however you would not have a visible dish on the part.  However you could use KIS and KAS with the dish, probe core, batteries  and a Truss. Then think of it as  having to build your own transmitter. (Just don't forget solar panels and a small Omni antenna like I just did in the post.  :))

Edited by Vaga

16 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry to take so long replying; I've been out of town. Yes, that would work just fine. The .version file needs to be in a folder that will be instaled, as the SurfaceExperimentPackage folder would be in the layout you specified. 

Github has a mechanism for doing releases that CKAN understands, and CKAN will only add a full release, not a pre-release, so you can create beta releases for people to test out new features before they are offered to the general CKAN public.

Edited by politas

Anyone tested the mod with the new version of KIS?  I was having trouble attaching the ports, done it plenty of times before but it wasn't working this time. 

EDIT:  Ok, I did some more test and could not get it to work.  I rolled back the KIS update and it works fine.  It looks like its not recognizing the SEP screwdriver as a valid tool for using the 'h' key to attach something.  The wrench works, and the sep tool equips, and makes the nodes appear, but pressing h gives an error that you need a tool to attach this object.    I'm guessing he changed how custom tools are defined in KIS which broke this mod a little. 

Edited by eberkain

On 23.2.2016 at 3:36 AM, eberkain said:

Anyone tested the mod with the new version of KIS?  I was having trouble attaching the ports, done it plenty of times before but it wasn't working this time. 

EDIT:  Ok, I did some more test and could not get it to work.  I rolled back the KIS update and it works fine.  It looks like its not recognizing the SEP screwdriver as a valid tool for using the 'h' key to attach something.  The wrench works, and the sep tool equips, and makes the nodes appear, but pressing h gives an error that you need a tool to attach this object.    I'm guessing he changed how custom tools are defined in KIS which broke this mod a little. 

Bug replicated as described.
This is not compatible to KIS 1.2.5 :(

Edited by DocMop

On 2/25/2016 at 8:30 PM, politas said:

Any chance of an upload to Spacedock?

Working on that right now.

22 hours ago, DocMop said:

Bug replicated as described.
This is not compatible to KIS 1.2.5 :(

Working on that, too. Hopefully, it's just a minor change, and I can fix it quickly.  I need to remember to check the thread more often. :)

Or not. I have no idea what's going wrong :(

Edited by AlbertKermin

I guess you need to check with KospY. The last KIS versions had some rather big internal changes. Maybe "Node attach only" is just not supported anymore because of this.

Edited by DocMop