[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

5 hours ago, Mechtech said:

you have it hooked up? make sure to check, I've had the things not work because I thought it was plugged in but the plug was just kinda sitting there.

also, haha, I just realized I literally just asked Tech Support Question #3, "Is it plugged in?"

Yes - two different tests. And I used to be in tech support as well... :wink:

@dewdkorn6969, you were right -- after further testing, it's clear that it's not just the equals signs.  I happened to glance at the experiment definition in ModuleManager.ConfigCache, and the SEP_GravityScan definition had a whole bunch of junk characters it.  Looking more closely at the ScienceDefs.cfg file, there are non-printing characters or something that KSP may be choking on (which may be what's causing trouble for Sounding Rockets, since it comes in a folder that gets loaded later).  @CobaltWolf, was that part of the file copied over from a word processor or something?  I remember an earlier prerelease had some fancy quote marks that KSP didn't like either.

3 minutes ago, Kerbas_ad_astra said:

@dewdkorn6969, you were right -- after further testing, it's clear that it's not just the equals signs.  I happened to glance at the experiment definition in ModuleManager.ConfigCache, and the SEP_GravityScan definition had a whole bunch of junk characters it.  Looking more closely at the ScienceDefs.cfg file, there are non-printing characters or something that KSP may be choking on (which may be what's causing trouble for Sounding Rockets, since it comes in a folder that gets loaded later).  @CobaltWolf, was that part of the file copied over from a word processor or something?  I remember an earlier prerelease had some fancy quote marks that KSP didn't like either.

Uhhh I'm not sure. @AlbertKermin writes the sciencedefs. I'd imagine that could be a possibility. So it probably is a matter of rewriting the definitions in just plain notepad or something you think?

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Uhhh I'm not sure. @AlbertKermin writes the sciencedefs. I'd imagine that could be a possibility. So it probably is a matter of rewriting the definitions in just plain notepad or something you think?

i just used editpad pro to look at the differences between ur sciencedefs and other mods sciencedefs and squads and it shows a space as a different character from a tab when you highlight the lines using search.. id just replace all the white space before any entries with tabs to keep it looking clean and get rid of the spaces. in my log it showed one of the experiments was failing to load so that caused any experiments after that experiment to fail which is why it broke any mod that comes after yours alphabetically.. sounding rockets is stored in UmbraSpaceIndustries folder so it would be included... some of your part cfgs have spaces instead of tabs before the module names also but i havent gotten far enough in my career to really put those to a test to see if theres a problem with that

Edited by dewdkorn6969

2 hours ago, VaPaL said:

I found and incompatibility with this mod and Sounding Rockets by @RoverDude. When both are installed neither work. You can't run the experiments, everything else is ok. I'm using KSP 1.1.0.1230 64x

This is sort of confirmed here. Was playing on 1.1.1 last night and noticed that both Sounding rockets and surface experiments did not work on my last lander mission.... Was frustrated and went to bed. Will do more testing when I come back from work today.

25 minutes ago, dewdkorn6969 said:

i just used editpad pro to look at the differences between ur sciencedefs and other mods sciencedefs and squads and it shows a space as a different character from a tab when you highlight the lines using search.. id just replace all the white space before any entries with tabs to keep it looking clean and get rid of the spaces. in my log it showed one of the experiments was failing to load so that caused any experiments after that experiment to fail which is why it broke any mod that comes after yours alphabetically.. sounding rockets is stored in UmbraSpaceIndustries folder so it would be included... some of your part cfgs have spaces instead of tabs before the module names also but i havent gotten far enough in my career to really put those to a test to see if theres a problem with that

Alright that you everyone for helping me figure that out. Once I get it sorted I'll get a dropbox link to a new sciencedefs config up, so at least then it won't be breaking compatiblity with everything. After that I'll tackle the exploding parts.

ahh, so that's what the culprit was!

I'll hold off on reinstalling then, the exploding was frustrating but solvable (I stuck 'em on KIS pylons and used EPL to build 'em with Survey stakes) but accidentally-ing the Science is a bit of a bigger problem.

Update: Overnight, my 1.1.1 install decided that it doesn't want to work anymore. Seeing as I haven't had a chance to download 1.1.2. So I started up 1.1, and somewhere around 10 crashes later I've managed to not fix the sciencedefs after finding and replacing all those strange characters. I've confirmed that the sciencedefs are the issue - other experiments break if I assign them to other SEP parts. So I just went and rewrote all the gravimeter definitions by hand. Unfortunately I don't have time to test it now so I've uploaded it to dropbox. I also renamed it, so make sure you delete the current Sciencedefs file, as it won't get overwritten by the new SEP_ScienceDefs.

@CobaltWolf I don't know if I'm doing something wrong wet (kinda new to this stuff) but now the only experiment I can run is the Central Station. The others only have "Disassemble Part" option. Good new is that Sounding Rockets experiments are working, so it's not interfering anymore.

Again, unsure if I did everything right.

3 hours ago, VaPaL said:

@CobaltWolf I don't know if I'm doing something wrong wet (kinda new to this stuff) but now the only experiment I can run is the Central Station. The others only have "Disassemble Part" option. Good new is that Sounding Rockets experiments are working, so it's not interfering anymore.

Again, unsure if I did everything right.

:huh: That's annoying. I'll keep looking into it.

5 hours ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

Hey @CobaltWolf, thanks for all of your work in getting this working. It seems like its quite the grind to debug this one. Thanks for the commitment!

It's just doubly frustrating because I am having trouble testing everything. It's hard to even get to the point where I can replicate a bug without the game crashing for unrelated reasons. Believe me, I want the mod to work as much as you guys!

I'll take a look at sciencedefs and try to figure out what I broke. I'll also try and fix the issues with attaching things to the ground. @IgorZ thinks it might be as simple as just making sure everything is aligned properly. I'll rebuild everything and then post a link. If some people could test it for me I'd really appreciate it.

I really can't deal with this right now. I'm going to wait a week and see if things have settled down then. In the mean time I have some more misc parts for SEP I'd like to include, so those might make it into the 'real' 1.1.x update.

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's just doubly frustrating because I am having trouble testing everything. It's hard to even get to the point where I can replicate a bug without the game crashing for unrelated reasons. Believe me, I want the mod to work as much as you guys!

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I really can't deal with this right now. I'm ok to wait a week and see if things have settled down then.

I wish I could help you with that, you do that gladly, but I have 0 exp and almost no time :(. But I'm totally fine waiting a bit, take your time!

On 30.04.2016 at 10:20 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Hey, 
you asked if the SEP is still making trouble with Sounding Rockets, and the answer is: sadly yes.

Here is the CKAN exception (sorry for mix of EN and PL, #justWindowsthings [warning, large])

Spoiler

CKAN.ModuleNotFoundKraken: Cannot install ContractParser, module not available
   w CKAN.CkanModule.FromIDandVersion(IRegistryQuerier registry, String mod, KSPVersion ksp_version)
   w CKAN.RelationshipResolver.<RelationshipResolver>c__AnonStorey0.<>m__0(String name)
   w System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
   w System.Collections.Generic.List`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 collection)
   w System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
   w CKAN.RelationshipResolver..ctor(IEnumerable`1 module_names, RelationshipResolverOptions options, IRegistryQuerier registry, KSPVersion kspversion)
   w CKAN.MainModList.ComputeConflictsFromModList(IRegistryQuerier registry, IEnumerable`1 change_set, KSPVersion ksp_version)
   w CKAN.Main.<UpdateChangeSetAndConflicts>c__async1.MoveNext()
--- Koniec śladu stosu z poprzedniej lokalizacji, w której wystąpił wyjątek ---
   w System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   w System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   w CKAN.Main.<ModList_CellValueChanged>c__async0.MoveNext()
--- Koniec śladu stosu z poprzedniej lokalizacji, w której wystąpił wyjątek ---
   w System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__4(Object state)

************** Zestawy załadowane **************
mscorlib
    Wersja zestawu: 4.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34209 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
ckan
    Wersja zestawu: 0.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Bebeszek/Desktop/ckan.exe
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34238 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34251 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34285 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34283 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/mscorlib.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.resources.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Wersja zestawu: 1.0.0.0
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34283 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34209
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
System.Dynamic
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Wersja zestawu: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
Microsoft.CSharp.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.resources.dll
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Runtime.Serialization
    Wersja Win32: 4.0.30319.34234 built by: FX452RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Serialization/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Serialization.dll
System.Xml.Linq
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_64/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
System.resources
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.resources/v4.0_4.0.0.0_pl_b77a5c561934e089/System.resources.dll
Accessibility
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** Debugowanie w trybie JIT **************
Aby włączyć debugowanie w trybie just in time (JIT), plik .config tej
aplikacji lub komputera (machine.config) musi mieć
wartość jitDebugging ustawioną w sekcji system.windows.forms.
Aplikacja musi być również skompilowana z włączonym
debugowaniem.

Na przykład:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

And CKAN error when pressing "continue" and proceeding to update.

Spoiler

LwJcMpf.png

I will also check if it is fault of ContractParser, because on the window that spews out the log in spoiler 1 it mentions "Cannot install ContractParser, module not avaible".
EDIT: It is not fault of Contract Parser, once uninstalled CKAN throws out "Cannot install CXaerospace, module not avaible." Will try dumping .ckan file and starting with a clean install.

EDIT: Just to mention, CKAN doesn't let me update it, but it still runs OK with no problems at all with unupdated Sounding Rockets mod

Edited by Ja222

4 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

I wish I could help you with that, you do that gladly, but I have 0 exp and almost no time :(. But I'm totally fine waiting a bit, take your time!

Yeah, I'm sorry it's just I feel as if I'm no closer to solving the issues than I was when I started. I tried making some progress while things rendered on my desktop for work, and it seems as if I've managed to make them worse. I am just going to take a step back for a bit, I'm focusing on art assets for a couple projects now and I'd rather get time put into those than beat myself up against the wall.

1 minute ago, Ja222 said:

Hey, 
you asked if the SEP is still making trouble with Sounding Rockets, and the answer is: sadly yes.

Here is the CKAN exception (sorry for mix of EN and PL, #justWindowsthings [warning, large])

And CKAN error when pressing "continue" and proceeding to update.

I will also check if it is fault of ContractParser, because on the window that spews out the log in spoiler 1 it mentions "Cannot install ContractParser, module not avaible".

Polish? Cool!

I do not know what ContractParser is. That's really annoying that CKAN does not give more information.

On 30.04.2016 at 10:20 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, that's a known issue. I've already fixed a couple things on the gravimeter but it still isn't working. I'm looking into it more. :)

Sorry everyone, but I'm still waiting for the dust to settle from 1.1.x. I am still getting constant crashes, even on a clean stock install, so it's a pain to sort stuff out right now. I might start working on more experiments. I still need to do the camera, the astronomy unit, and a bunch of other stuff. As I recently told @AlbertKermin my general plan is to have all the SEP stuff done more or less around the same time that I finish the LEM parts for BDB.

It is an addon that is a base for "CapCom - Mission control on the go" mod and "Contract Configurator" mod (the contract packs all around)

(And many more, but just the two mentions I find in my CKAN)

Edited by Ja222

Contract Parser is used by CapCom and Contracts Window +. It is still in the process of being labeled as compatible with KSP 1.1.2, so CKAN might misbehave when trying to install either of those two. I'm not sure what it would have to do with this though; just uncheck CapCom and Contracts Window + for now.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 1:47 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Update: Overnight, my 1.1.1 install decided that it doesn't want to work anymore. Seeing as I haven't had a chance to download 1.1.2. So I started up 1.1, and somewhere around 10 crashes later I've managed to not fix the sciencedefs after finding and replacing all those strange characters. I've confirmed that the sciencedefs are the issue - other experiments break if I assign them to other SEP parts. So I just went and rewrote all the gravimeter definitions by hand. Unfortunately I don't have time to test it now so I've uploaded it to dropbox. I also renamed it, so make sure you delete the current Sciencedefs file, as it won't get overwritten by the new SEP_ScienceDefs.

I think is working! TST is functional with SEP 1.4 thanks!

1 minute ago, Leandro Basi said:

I think is working! TST is functional with SEP 1.4 thanks!

Based on what @VaPaL reported, it's because SEP is broken. We figured out what the issue was, a bug in the SEP sciencedefs breaking all the ones that load in after it (they load in alphabetically by folder) but I'm not sure if I managed to fix it. Do all the SEP experiments work?

@CobaltWolf I just have an insight, if it load last, wouldn't it solve it? That way it's just rename it. Anyway, I won't go to work tomorrow, so I can give it a try testing and trying to learn stuff. If you could give me some info on were to start learning and testing I would appreciate. You can PM me for this if you like.

13 minutes ago, VaPaL said:

@CobaltWolf I just have an insight, if it load last, wouldn't it solve it? That way it's just rename it. Anyway, I won't go to work tomorrow, so I can give it a try testing and trying to learn stuff. If you could give me some info on were to start learning and testing I would appreciate. You can PM me for this if you like.

Well, basically right now the last thing in the config is the gravimeter experiment. It was broken, making everything after it break as well. So making it load last doesn't fix the fact that the gravimeter experiment was broken. If that gets fixed, then everything else should work. And if that hurtle can be crossed, then I believe there are workarounds for the other issues that were in the v1.4 release for the time being. The thing is, I cannot find anything wrong in that science definitions file!