[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

This mod is on CKAN, and so is Sounding Rockets.

Sounding Rockets claims that it has a conflict with this mod. In CKAN. So I cannot install Sounding Rockets.

According to the last few pages in this thread, the incompatibility should be gone.

Who needs to tell that to CKAN?

Just now, Amedee said:

This mod is on CKAN, and so is Sounding Rockets.

Sounding Rockets claims that it has a conflict with this mod. In CKAN. So I cannot install Sounding Rockets.

According to the last few pages in this thread, the incompatibility should be gone.

Who needs to tell that to CKAN?

The mod author, who presumably wrote the .netkan file

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

A: The author of the mod Sounding Rockets
B: The author of the mod Surface Experiment Pack

Really unsure who I have to send a pull request or other annoyance... ;-)

On 5/31/2016 at 10:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

No. Most mod authors do not write a .netkan. It fact it perfectly possible that in some cases the process is completely automated. Never go to a mod author unless your absolutely sure. They are actually doing the indexing. When in doubt take it to the CKAN thread first. If you pick the wrong mod author and ask this question expect flames

On 5/31/2016 at 10:23 PM, Amedee said:

You take it to the CKAN thread. Or post an NetKan issue report. There is a link in the OP of the CKAN thread.

To complicate matters @RoverDudedoes do his own NetKAN. I have already be directed to raise an Issue with him. Although I honestly think in this case it is not a problem with sounding rockets. Without any help from Module Manager. The mods in Gamedata go through alphabetically I think. USI mods come in later in the default load order. So a past error in Surface Experiments. Was a typo that was breaking our ScienceDefs which broke any that loaded afterwards. That typo has been fixed now.

So that leaves a NetKAN bot picking Surface Science Experiments automatically from Spacedock and doing the indexing. With that last change 7 days ago. Therefore take it to the CKAN people. If the bot needs to learn both mods are now compatible.

EDIT: Once reported in the right place the answer pops out

As SurfaceExperimentPack does not and never included a conflicts relationship this lies entirely withSoundingRockets. My bet would be that the author/metadata host pushed an update but did not bump an epoch thus the new conflict relationships (or lack thereof) has not been propogated to existing users.

Solution is to have affected users uninstall then re-install SoundingRockets.

Next up data will tighten this up to ensure end users are using the current metadata rather than the local held copy. All good.

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

Hi I love the mod its some great work!

however... I don't know if anyone can help me out but I cant see to connect the plugs to anything. I'm running Ksp 1.1.2 with the latest KIS and KAS installed I also have the latest surface experiment pack mod installed.

My problem seems to be that no matter what I try I cant right click on the plugs. I have tried clicking multiple times but still no luck. for some reason no right click menu appears. Am I doing something wrong?

I also have some other mods installed:

CxAerospace, Infernal Robotics, InterstellarFuelSwitch, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement, KWRocketry, Planetshine, OPT spaceplane parts, TweakScale, Kerbal Engineer

Thank you for any help

On 6/2/2016 at 7:28 AM, nobodyhasthis2 said:

No. Most mod authors do not write a .netkan. It fact it perfectly possible that in some cases the process is completely automated. Never go to a mod author unless your absolutely sure. They are actually doing the indexing. When in doubt take it to the CKAN thread first. If you pick the wrong mod author and ask this question expect flames

On 5/31/2016 at 5:23 PM, Amedee said:

You take it to the CKAN thread. Or post an NetKan issue report. There is a link in the OP of the CKAN thread.

To complicate matters @RoverDudedoes do his own NetKAN. I have already be directed to raise an Issue with him. Although I honestly think in this case it is not a problem with sounding rockets. Without any help from Module Manager. The mods in Gamedata go through alphabetically I think. USI mods come in later in the default load order. So a past error in Surface Experiments. Was a typo that was breaking our ScienceDefs which broke any that loaded afterwards. That typo has been fixed now.

So that leaves a NetKAN bot picking Surface Science Experiments automatically from Spacedock and doing the indexing. With that last change 7 days ago. Therefore take it to the CKAN people. If the bot needs to learn both mods are now compatible.

I don't know what you are smoking, but you are wrong.

I suppose you are thinking that anything uploaded to Spacedock can automatically have a netkan created.  That's true, but many times it's not correct, and besides, it doesn't include any dependencies, suggestions or anything else.

If a mod has an unusual layout, it needs to be custom designed.  RoverDude does not like CKAN, and he doesn't do his own, they are handwritten by the CKAN people.

Anytime a .netkan has "depends", "recommends", "suggests", "filter" or anyone of a number of other special keywords, it is a handwritten .netkan and, if there is a conflict with another mod, will sometimes need updating by the author.

I'm speaking as a mod author who has helped other people with their .netkan files as well as all of my own mods;  Spacedock cannot handle my mods.  For a not-so-simple example, take a look at KWRocketryRedux.  There are actually 3 .netkan files used: 

KWRocketryRedux.netkan
KWRocketryRedux-GraduatedPwr.netkan
KWRocketryRedux-InstantPwr.netkan

and any KWRedux install actually needs two of them;  the requirements and dependencies are handled inside the hand-written files

Since SoundingRockets was written by Roverdude, and he doesn't support CKAN, it is appropriate to contact the CKAN people about that particular mod

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I finally got a SEP mission to work! Well, I say finally -- I'd only tried once before, and one of those was only at the launch pad. Anyway, it took a bit of messing around to get the central station to fix to the ground on Mun; it kept popping off for some reason. Once that was done, everything was fine, apart from attaching a plug to either of the end sockets of the power distribution unit -- that cause it to de-attach as well. I also found that switching between Kerbals caused some items to drop through the service -- that was a bit random and not really reproducible. This was all in one of Mun's East Crater; not perfectly level ground, but reasonably level.

So anyway, I was really pleased in the end and collected a lot of science. Next time I'll bring some concrete slabs along first though, to see if they solve the little problems I was having.

I have a problem with the power station - i attach it to the ground with the wrench and everything is fine, but if i attach the conduits with the attachment tool it's hopping through the galaxy.
whats the problem? does someone have an idea, how to stick it to the gound?

On 6/3/2016 at 4:00 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

I don't know what you are smoking, but you are wrong.

I suppose you are thinking that anything uploaded to Spacedock can automatically have a netkan created.  That's true, but many times it's not correct, and besides, it doesn't include any dependencies, suggestions or anything else.

If a mod has an unusual layout, it needs to be custom designed.  RoverDude does not like CKAN, and he doesn't do his own, they are handwritten by the CKAN people.

Anytime a .netkan has "depends", "recommends", "suggests", "filter" or anyone of a number of other special keywords, it is a handwritten .netkan and, if there is a conflict with another mod, will sometimes need updating by the author.

I'm speaking as a mod author who has helped other people with their .netkan files as well as all of my own mods;  Spacedock cannot handle my mods.  For a not-so-simple example, take a look at KWRocketryRedux.  There are actually 3 .netkan files used: 

KWRocketryRedux.netkan
KWRocketryRedux-GraduatedPwr.netkan
KWRocketryRedux-InstantPwr.netkan

and any KWRedux install actually needs two of them;  the requirements and dependencies are handled inside the hand-written files

Since SoundingRockets was written by Roverdude, and he doesn't support CKAN, it is appropriate to contact the CKAN people about that particular mod

So you say I am wrong and then agree with me. What is that about smoking?

:lol:

oh and Roverdude does maintain the metadata for USI mods. I did not say he liked doing it. He is an exception to the rule (up to a point)

On 5/31/2016 at 10:15 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

This is still false information. It assumes mod authors by default have anything to do with CKAN. You have agreed that uploads to Spacedock create the NetKAN, You have agreed if there is a problem it to then CKAN people need to get involved. However you advised to someone go the mod author. Who may not like to hear about the problem. So wrong then and still wrong now.  In the first instance of a problem. Take to CKAN people first and not the mod author as you originally advised. That is what has we done here and the problem has been resolved with plans in progress to stop if ever happening again. That fixes it for everyone and helps other mod authors in the future. 

If you're writing your own NetKAN that is your own choice. If there is a problem we know to come to you first. Remember I actually helped you edit the KWRocketryRedux post to make it clearer to people going manual install route. So I am well aware of your own mods requirements. Including your comments on file overwrites which are brilliant. However when talking about this stuff you're the exception to the rule. Not to contact mod authors directly when CKAN has a problem. 

Here if Sounding rockets gets purged completely and reinstalled. It does install alongside SSE and both mods do not conflict (since 1.4.1). We could argue who owns the metadata all day but that is not going to change the locally held data which is being used by default. It must be cleaned out.  

Edited by nobodyhasthis2

I did not make the CKAN metadata for SEP (not SSE :P ) and neither did @AlbertKermin. I got a hold of one of the CKAN people and asked them to write it, IIRC. I do not know what the state is of the CKAN listing for this mod but I believe our data has not been updated since this initial upload.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I did not make the CKAN metadata for SEP (not SSE :P ) and neither did @AlbertKermin. I got a hold of one of the CKAN people and asked them to write it, IIRC. I do not know what the state is of the CKAN listing for this mod but I believe our data has not been updated since this initial upload.

Which drives home the point that when in doubt we need to take any problems to CKAN people first. 

As for the metadata. It is all good. It only needs updated if the mods location or dependency requirements change. However when we see an odd conflict reported some where in CKAN GUI it gets looked at again. Had it doubled checked recently just to rule out a conflict in the data and there is none. If people restall Sounding Rockets cleanly everything will work just fine. The next release of CKAN will have a feature to help end users that using old data See https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/1730

7 minutes ago, nobodyhasthis2 said:

Which drives home the point that when in doubt we need to take any problems to CKAN people first. 

As for the metadata. It is all good. It only needs updated if the mods location or dependency requirements change. However when we see an odd conflict reported some where in CKAN GUI it gets looked at again. Had it doubled checked recently just to rule out a conflict in the data and there is none. If people restall Sounding Rockets cleanly everything will work just fine. The next release of CKAN will have a feature to help end users that using old data See https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/CKAN/pull/1730

Excellent! Thank you.

Just wanted to sat how much I love this mod. Really gives something interesting to do on missions, and makes engineers critical to accompany my scientists. I had a terrible time with explosions on Mun, but recently set up on Minmus with no issues:

http://imgur.com/vf5JGbv

Edited by larkvi
trying to fix link

On 5/31/2016 at 2:15 PM, kananesgi said:

@The HawkI am also having this problem. So far, all of the other SEP equipment has gone into the containers without a hitch, but the solar panel will not drop into a container. And yes, the experiments do need EC to work. I tried running them and transmitting the data and ran out of power half-way through the second experiment. Of course, it wasn't a big deal, as I was running the experiments at the SPH. Until a solution to this can be found, I'm just going to attach a few SEP solar panels to my lander/rover, then use the engineer to detach and re-attach them to the SEP pylon. That should work.

Couldn't you accomplish this using a concrete base (CB1) and a couple of CC-R2 connectors? I haven't tried this to see if the CC-R2 will attach to the SEP station, but if it will, this should work to create a power-tap from the rover/lander to the experiment station.

I had the exact same problem and traced it to tweakscale. Removing that allowed the panels to go into the containers.

1 hour ago, captainradish said:

I had the exact same problem and traced it to tweakscale. Removing that allowed the panels to go into the containers.

Any idea why TweakScale does that?

I'm going to make my own KerbalStuff CKAN competitor, and it will be way better. I'm calling it PKAN. Ayyyy

On 6/4/2016 at 2:01 PM, VaPaL said:

@CobaltWolf Have you seen the container for SEP that Nils added in the latest update?

Also, I love how great this this mod looks when placed:

Just saw that. Awesome!

Edited by AlbertKermin

38 minutes ago, AlbertKermin said:

Just saw that. Awesome!

The great and wise @Nils277 made a little plugin that creates a dummy module for the central station, meaning that we can switch to using a required module rather than a required part. That will let his connector part work. If I forward you the PM could you take care of switching it over?

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

The great and wise @Nils277 made a little plugin that creates a dummy module for the central station, meaning that we can switch to using a required module rather than a required part. That will let his connector part work. If I forward you the PM could you take care of switching it over?

Sure!

19 minutes ago, AndrewHere said:

For some reason i cant place the solar panels in any of the inventory storage.

I'm aware but I have no idea why its happening. 

On 6/5/2016 at 2:08 PM, captainradish said:

On 6/5/2016 at 3:45 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Any idea why TweakScale does that?

I've logged an issue on GitHub, if anyone could pretty pretty please look into it (preferably someone that can fix it and make a pull request) I'd appreciate it.