[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

On 7/4/2016 at 11:35 PM, Mokmo said:

I got quite a bit of log spam from the Internal Heat Probe. This was a test just off the runway:

F is a counter so it was intense. about a minute to get to almost 80k...
A mini collider issue ? 

Hrmm, no idea.

Love the mod.  Was going to post about the parts exploding after attaching to the ground; but I guess it was fixed. :D  I am having problems running the experiments though.  I switch to a scientist (yes it is a scientist...) and I cannot get the experiment to run.  Am I missing something?

1 minute ago, Fr8monkey said:

Love the mod.  Was going to post about the parts exploding after attaching to the ground; but I guess it was fixed. :D  I am having problems running the experiments though.  I switch to a scientist (yes it is a scientist...) and I cannot get the experiment to run.  Am I missing something?

Is everything properly attached to a central station part? Some screenshots of the issues would be helpful. They can't be run by themselves.

I attempted to install this mod along side the most current version of KAS (among many others).  All the parts show up, however, it appears that this Mod breaks KAS for me.  I am still able attach pipes and such, but I am unable to attach or detatch anything while in IVA with a screwdriver equipped.  Removing the SEP mod seems to solve the problem. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  If so, is there a workaround?

On 7/7/2016 at 10:57 AM, BainDrago said:

I attempted to install this mod along side the most current version of KAS (among many others).  All the parts show up, however, it appears that this Mod breaks KAS for me.  I am still able attach pipes and such, but I am unable to attach or detatch anything while in IVA with a screwdriver equipped.  Removing the SEP mod seems to solve the problem. 

Has anyone else encountered this problem?  If so, is there a workaround?

Haven't run into that, sorry.

On 7/8/2016 at 5:52 AM, I3laze said:

Hey CobaltWolf, any info on the side project you teased about? ;-)

In case you didn't see it.

On 7/9/2016 at 5:42 PM, Gooner said:

Is there a contract pack for this mod?

I don't believe so. It'd be really cool to see someone make one though! :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

It seems that as of KSP 1.1.3 the experiments aren't staying put when fastened to the ground again.

Do you think it's the mod's fault, or KIS/KAS's fault? 
Also, should I look at the mod's cfg files to see if there is a way to easily fix it?

On 7/14/2016 at 10:35 PM, sparkybear said:

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. The base station won't attach to the ground, again, with any of the available tools. Not with the wrench, screw driver, or the electric screwdriver. 

Same problem here.  Seems it's a bug.

OK, some of the experiments are also exploding on me.  I'll take a look at the config files on those as well.

I don't think there should be too much abuse of making these nice and durable, so long as they are the same strength or weaker than much lighter KIS alternatives for use as anchors. 

I still want to file my suggestion for having a "outlet plug" specifically designed to link in a typical electrical crossfeed capable part assembly as a power source.  (e.g. a fuel tank and a fuel cell or a couple of batteries and a solar array.)

On 6/10/2016 at 0:16 PM, CobaltWolf said:

We also might make the stock science lab capable of acting as a central station - this would require adding a surface-attachable 'outlet' part.

Has there been any more thought to adding this?

13 minutes ago, DiceCaller said:

Has there been any more thought to adding this?

Yeah, I like this idea too. 

-----
On the note of the spontaneous explosions, I took a look at the config files.  It looks like the parts are connected too firmly to the ground.  Their connection should be around 200-600, and currently it's at 2000.  That high of a joint force will cause extreme spring forces with KSP's rubbery joint behavior, thus causing collision, tinsel or compression forces capable of destroying the device.

Should be able to be fixed by bringing the connection strength down, to a reasonable force.  The experiments should only need around 200-400, the base station around 400-600. 

Edited by Ruedii
Merging moar stuff.

16 minutes ago, 500Motels said:

Jury-rigging a  a way to take pictures while AKI is working on a purpose-built apparatus for such things :sticktongue:

I recognize that camera...

I don't know when I'll get back to SEP! Probably once the LEM for BDB is done.

On 19/7/2016 at 8:19 AM, Ruedii said:

OK, some of the experiments are also exploding on me.  I'll take a look at the config files on those as well.

I don't think there should be too much abuse of making these nice and durable, so long as they are the same strength or weaker than much lighter KIS alternatives for use as anchors. 

I still want to file my suggestion for having a "outlet plug" specifically designed to link in a typical electrical crossfeed capable part assembly as a power source.  (e.g. a fuel tank and a fuel cell or a couple of batteries and a solar array.)

Yeah me too, i dont kwon how to fix that problem.

Have you found something?

54 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I recognize that camera...

I don't know when I'll get back to SEP! Probably once the LEM for BDB is done.

You guys (@AlbertKermin, @CobaltWolf) take  all the time that you need, I wouldn't want one of my favorite mod to be rushed! Plus, releasing an expanded SEP with the LEM makes for good synergy.

18 hours ago, RossoFuoco said:

Yeah the ground strength setting is too high from what I can tell.

I've been fiddling with the settings the past few days.  I'll post a fix to github once I know for sure that it's fixed.  (I need to test it on uneven terrain, the test on flat terrain passes now.)

18 hours ago, RossoFuoco said:

It turns out the wrong elements are durable from what I can tell.  Your getting phantom forces from binding between the collider and the ground mount node, and the node can't stretch enough because it's strength is too high.

There may also be issues with the shape of colliders.  I'm not sure if fixing this will help.

Two suggestions are
1.  simplify the colliders on any of the parts with legged bottoms to combine the tripod or quadripod into a single geometric volume. 
2.  Decrease the ground mount force to a medium level.   100 should be good.

The bottom face of the collider should always be a simple single flat polygon.  Polygons stretching up from it for a reasonable distance should also be simple single polygons.

I also noticed you can't control power transfers and such.  Adding a probe core module to the SEC Main Control Unit config file fixes it
This fixes a lot of other minor resource annoyance bugs.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar details

On 14/07/2016 at 11:58 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Probably. Best to wait I suppose.

DMagicScienceAnimate is a dependency, which is not updated for 1.1.3. Due to a bug in the CKAN GUI, anything dependent on something that is not presently up to date is not shown in any filtered view.

I installed DMagicScienceAnimate and SurfaceExperimentPack just now through CKAN, but on clicking the tracking station, the game crashed. The crash was fixable, by uninstalling the two mods. Would a log of any description be of use to you?

Edited by blu3wolf