[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

13 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

DMagicScienceAnimate is a dependency, which is not updated for 1.1.3. Due to a bug in the CKAN GUI, anything dependent on something that is not presently up to date is not shown in any filtered view.

I installed DMagicScienceAnimate and SurfaceExperimentPack just now through CKAN, but on clicking the tracking station, the game crashed. The crash was fixable, by uninstalling the two mods. Would a log of any description be of use to you?

I'm not sure that should be considered a bug.  If it can't be installed, then (IMHO) it shouldn't be shown.

17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'm not sure that should be considered a bug.  If it can't be installed, then (IMHO) it shouldn't be shown.

Seeing as the filter is supposed to show whatever you select, that is very much a bug. You can select from the filter incompatible, and the mods I described above will still not be displayed.

In any event... the post was about SEP, not the CKAN client. Discussion of bugs in the CKAN client would be better continued in the CKAN thread, if you are of a mind to do so. Feel free to @mention me there if you do so.

Edited by blu3wolf

45 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

DMagicScienceAnimate is a dependency, which is not updated for 1.1.3. Due to a bug in the CKAN GUI, anything dependent on something that is not presently up to date is not shown in any filtered view.

I installed DMagicScienceAnimate and SurfaceExperimentPack just now through CKAN, but on clicking the tracking station, the game crashed. The crash was fixable, by uninstalling the two mods. Would a log of any description be of use to you?

Of course! But I'm not sure what I could do. It doesn't happen on my end with a small number of mods installed. So if its some incompatibility on a code level then I wouldn't be able to help much. There is a chance that we will be moving to a custom science plugin in the near-ish future.

1 hour ago, DMagic said:

DMagicScienceAnimate seems unlikely to be causing problems when loading the tracking station. Its code only runs on active part in the flight scene or editor.

Yeah, I've been having some random crashes when returning to tracking station.

I am suspecting the KIS/KAS module but I can't be sure.  It may be Kerbal Engineer or MechJeb.  (I use them both because Kerbal Engineer has a nicer lightweight HUD).

OK, I've done a little more fiddling.

It seems there are some physics issues with colliders overlapping the ground in KIS creating spontanious explosions.  You can verify this by placing a cardboard box of sufficient weight half-way underground.

The way to workaround this would be to modify the collider to have a little extra ground clearance (not too much because you don't want to be able to pass under it) and have the node and the visible polygons extend down to the ground or slightly below.

This issue does, however, need to be fixed in the KIS library through some form of collider culling routine and/or collision behavior modification but that's another matter.

Edited by Ruedii
Moar detail

OK, I found a possible workaround, but I'm going to need help implementing it if someone else doesn't want to beat me to it.

The attachment nodes need to be offset a small ammount from the ground and/or the colliders need to be a touch back from the attachment point to the ground.  This very short distance SHOULD fix the issue.

Also, the cardboard box needs unused default connection node moved so that KIS knows where to place it on the ground.  If this node is shared with the backpack attachment, then a second node needs to be added and set to be default.  Preferably one of such unused node point should be placed on each cube face so you can turn the box and face it the way you want on the ground using KIS' switch node function.  (Always fun to have a feature like this.)  I like the idea of the default one having the open side facing up. 

It's been hotter than a hot day on Moho at Noon where I am (Ohio) so I haven't exact at my most productive lately.  I've actually been on the edge of heat exhaustion for the past three days.  However I'm hanging in there.  Attempting to remember to put my computer in deep sleep mode when I'm not using it as to reduce it's unintended function as a high-power heater.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, Ruedii said:

OK, I found a possible workaround, but I'm going to need help implementing it if someone else doesn't want to beat me to it.

The attachment nodes need to be offset a small ammount from the ground and/or the colliders need to be a touch back from the attachment point to the ground.  This very short distance SHOULD fix the issue.

Also, the cardboard box needs unused default connection node moved so that KIS knows where to place it on the ground.  If this node is shared with the backpack attachment, then a second node needs to be added and set to be default.  Preferably one of such unused node point should be placed on each cube face so you can turn the box and face it the way you want on the ground using KIS' switch node function.  (Always fun to have a feature like this.)  I like the idea of the default one having the open side facing up. 

It's been hotter than a hot day on Moho at Noon where I am (Ohio) so I haven't exact at my most productive lately.  I've actually been on the edge of heat exhaustion for the past three days.  However I'm hanging in there.  Attempting to remember to put my computer in deep sleep mode when I'm not using it as to reduce it's unintended function as a high-power heater.

Thank you so much for the help! I will try and take a look at the colliders when I get the chance. Do the newer experiments (gravimeter and magnetometer) have the issue? Their colliders are perfectly aligned with the lowermost part of the mesh.

I hate the current box behavior - if you can work out how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it.

3 hours ago, Markus1002 said:

Can this mod be used without KIS? Is there a way to put the experiments on the surface without KIS?

No. KIS and KAS are required for the mod to function.

59 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Any chance to get this in CKAN?  I'd be glad to help if you need it.

aren't we already listed?

29 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you so much for the help! I will try and take a look at the colliders when I get the chance. Do the newer experiments (gravimeter and magnetometer) have the issue? Their colliders are perfectly aligned with the lowermost part of the mesh.

I hate the current box behavior - if you can work out how to fix it I'd greatly appreciate it.

No. KIS and KAS are required for the mod to function.

aren't we already listed?

It isn't showing up in the ckan program, but I do see it in the list of .netkan files.  Probably because it depends on DMagicScienceAnimate, and that is only listed to be 1.1.2 compatible.

I opened a github issue on it, you may want to contact the author of DMagicScienceAnimate

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 7/25/2016 at 9:37 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

It isn't showing up in the ckan program, but I do see it in the list of .netkan files.  Probably because it depends on DMagicScienceAnimate, and that is only listed to be 1.1.2 compatible.

I opened a github issue on it, you may want to contact the author of DMagicScienceAnimate

Yeah, the current version of DMSA works fine in 1.1.3. The metadata can simply be updated.

Yes, SEP is in CKAN, but due to a CKAN bug, is not displayed in the GUI, regardless of filter settings. If you use the command line you can install DMSA first, then SEP will be installable through the GUI or the CLI.

28 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Yes, SEP is in CKAN, but due to a CKAN bug, is not displayed in the GUI, regardless of filter settings. If you use the command line you can install DMSA first, then SEP will be installable through the GUI or the CLI.

... or we can fix the fact that the metadata for DMagic is out of date.

One takes a couple minutes, the other a minimum of a couple hours. When I looked at it last, I figured DMSA would be getting an update soon enough that meant no metadata change was needed - NetKAN would see the new GitHub release, and add a new .ckan entry for it.

Seeing as that has not been the case, I can see a good argument for updating DMSA's metadata. For any given user though, its presently easier to install DMSA first, then SEP.

EDIT: seems we are debating after the fact. I see DMSA has already been updated in the .NetKAN list, and its .ckan for 0.14 lists it as compatible with 1.1.2 and 1.1.3

Edited by blu3wolf

12 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

One takes a couple minutes, the other a minimum of a couple hours. When I looked at it last, I figured DMSA would be getting an update soon enough that meant no metadata change was needed - NetKAN would see the new GitHub release, and add a new .ckan entry for it.

Seeing as that has not been the case, I can see a good argument for updating DMSA's metadata. For any given user though, its presently easier to install DMSA first, then SEP.

EDIT: seems we are debating after the fact. I see DMSA has already been updated in the .NetKAN list, and its .ckan for 0.14 lists it as compatible with 1.1.2 and 1.1.3

It never stopped working, and since it's basically a small side thing that is only used by my mods and one or two others, it's not exactly something on his radar.

Does that mean SEP is properly listed on CKAN now?

17 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

... or we can fix the fact that the metadata for DMagic is out of date.

I updated the netkan, and have asked that a version file be included to avoid this in the future

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

It never stopped working, and since it's basically a small side thing that is only used by my mods and one or two others, it's not exactly something on his radar.

Does that mean SEP is properly listed on CKAN now?

Yes

I assume so. I would have to uninstall to easily check, and Id rather leave it installed. It has a valid and current .ckan entry for all its dependencies again though, so it should be back to being visible in the GUI. It was properly listed the entire time, just not displayed. A failing of the GUI client, not the listing.

1 minute ago, blu3wolf said:

I assume so. I would have to uninstall to easily check, and Id rather leave it installed. It has a valid and current .ckan entry for all its dependencies again though, so it should be back to being visible in the GUI. It was properly listed the entire time, just not displayed. A failing of the GUI client, not the listing.

It is visible and working, I tested it this morning

Is anyone else having an issue where the game instantly crashes when attempting to connect any of the experiments or power nodes in this mod? Its happening anytime I try and connect a power line between any 2 objects.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Is anyone else having an issue where the game instantly crashes when attempting to connect any of the experiments or power nodes in this mod? Its happening anytime I try and connect a power line between any 2 objects.

does it affect similar KAS/KIS parts? Like the KAS port connector fuel line thing... Whatever its called.

edit: Also, this is sufficiently far enough along that I feel ok teasing this.

There is a very major overhaul to SEP on the way, thanks to a new contributor that I think many of y'all are familiar with. It doesn't add any new parts (those that follow my other work know why things are slow here at the moment) but it will comprehensively expand and flesh out everything that happens AFTER you've used an engineer to set up a SEP. I loathe to give any sort of time estimate (especially as I'm already working under at least one that I likely won't meet) but we hope to get a test build SOONtm.

Additionally, I'd like to reiterate my plans to make a major expansion to SEP - including, among other things, a lunar rover - once the BDB LEM is released.

Edited by CobaltWolf