[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

Hi all,

I tried compiling this for 1.2 and got it mostly working again, plugin-wise. I don't know what I'm doing half the time, because some methods disappeared from some classes in the 1.2 API and I have no idea where to look for them. However, I noticed there are relatively few things to work in to update this mod. If someone with more experience than me could take a look and, let's say, make a pull request (I won't since I don't know what I'm doing) it should be somewhat quick.

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 10:43 PM, Darkona said:

Hi all,

I tried compiling this for 1.2 and got it mostly working again, plugin-wise. I don't know what I'm doing half the time, because some methods disappeared from some classes in the 1.2 API and I have no idea where to look for them. However, I noticed there are relatively few things to work in to update this mod. If someone with more experience than me could take a look and, let's say, make a pull request (I won't since I don't know what I'm doing) it should be somewhat quick.

We were going to wait for DMagic (can't tag on mobile...) to finish the new plugin stuff before making a 1.2 release; didn't make sense to let people run off to play now and then break their saves. If you don't care about that, then i believe all the dependencies are updated for the old DMSA version.

32 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

So, @IgorZ is rewriting the code behind KAS to a new system. Maybe put this a bit on hold until KAS is stable once more?

I'll have to look into that and see what impact it will have. Either way, finishing the new experiments I shared some months ago is coming up to be a priority for me soon.

Yeah, please don't put anything on hold unless you MUST.

I was so happy when I saw this mod come out, but I never really got a chance to use it on any important missions before KSP updated and it was outdated again.

Oddly enough, what brought me to this post was DMagic's post.  I was lurking about updating all my mods the day after 1.2 dropped and couldn't remember which mod a set of folders were other than something DMagic did... found their post in this thread and went "SQUEE!!"  since I'd never heard of it before and it covers one of the topics I poked DMagic over months (years?) ago.  Made my day, in fact.

As I just said in the KCT dev thread, I wish I had more coding experience, then I could offer to help and feel like I'd actually be helping and not holding people back. Hell, I wish I'd won the lottery then I could have enough time to figure all this stuff out.

Seriously, great idea folks. I hope this mod keeps going places.

On 10/27/2016 at 9:24 AM, Rhedd said:

Yeah, please don't put anything on hold unless you MUST.

I was so happy when I saw this mod come out, but I never really got a chance to use it on any important missions before KSP updated and it was outdated again.

9 minutes ago, storm6436 said:

Oddly enough, what brought me to this post was DMagic's post.  I was lurking about updating all my mods the day after 1.2 dropped and couldn't remember which mod a set of folders were other than something DMagic did... found their post in this thread and went "SQUEE!!"  since I'd never heard of it before and it covers one of the topics I poked DMagic over months (years?) ago.  Made my day, in fact.

As I just said in the KCT dev thread, I wish I had more coding experience, then I could offer to help and feel like I'd actually be helping and not holding people back. Hell, I wish I'd won the lottery then I could have enough time to figure all this stuff out.

Seriously, great idea folks. I hope this mod keeps going places.

Well, there's no real point in releasing a 1.2 compatible version of the old system which used a generic version of his science animation plugin - the new dedicated plugin is close enough to being done that it would probably just break people's saves if they manage to deploy one before the update. @DMagic sent me some very exciting updates regarding it, with a lot of GUI improvements. Again, no dates or anything but he sounded like he was mostly polishing and cleaning it up at this point.

I am looking very much forward to see what @DMagic comes up with. I am still finishing my 1.1.3 missions before migrating, and the science from his beta tickles in while the probes head for different planets. Initially I found the amount of science a bit on the low side, but now the long duration missions are going, I can see that higher amounts would unbalance the game immensely.

Still looking for a good 2 Kerbal lander that will not kill my system (looking at you, ALCOR) for proper deployment of the packages, though. My 2 x mk1 lander is serviceable, but just not that satisfying aesthetically.

11 minutes ago, Freshmeat said:

I am looking very much forward to see what @DMagic comes up with. I am still finishing my 1.1.3 missions before migrating, and the science from his beta tickles in while the probes head for different planets. Initially I found the amount of science a bit on the low side, but now the long duration missions are going, I can see that higher amounts would unbalance the game immensely.

Still looking for a good 2 Kerbal lander that will not kill my system (looking at you, ALCOR) for proper deployment of the packages, though. My 2 x mk1 lander is serviceable, but just not that satisfying aesthetically.

Hmmm...

re4xTMB.png

15 hours ago, Freshmeat said:

@CobaltWolf: Yes, that will do nicely :wink: Will it have an IVA with RPM support?

lol I don't make IVAs. It has a basic one right now, I'm trying to get my IVA peeps to take a look at it when they have time. :)

Just now, Deimos Rast said:

what monstrosity is this? Where can I purchase one?!

p.s. the top looks like a freaking panda...cannot unsee

It's in BDB. :P Click the big blue thing in my signature.

@CobaltWolf

Not to derail the thread, but the BDB LEM is a thing of wonder and beauty. No more cobbling together my own LEMs from hundreds of parts from thirty different mods!

Now if I only had some 1.21 compatible ALSEP parts to go along with it. >_>

Edited by Rhedd

4 hours ago, Rhedd said:

@CobaltWolf

Not to derail the thread, but the BDB LEM is a thing of wonder and beauty. No more cobbling together my own LEMs from hundreds of parts from thirty different mods!

Now if I only had some 1.21 compatible ALSEP parts to go along with it. >_>

SoonTM

On 10/29/2016 at 0:06 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Well, there's no real point in releasing a 1.2 compatible version of the old system which used a generic version of his science animation plugin - the new dedicated plugin is close enough to being done that it would probably just break people's saves if they manage to deploy one before the update. @DMagic sent me some very exciting updates regarding it, with a lot of GUI improvements. Again, no dates or anything but he sounded like he was mostly polishing and cleaning it up at this point.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/65734-wip-pluginksp12x-dmagic-module-science-animate-v016-11316/&do=findComment&comment=2836589

On 11/2/2016 at 7:29 AM, CobaltWolf said:

SoonTM

Edited by Stratickus

16 minutes ago, Stratickus said:

Interesting.. @CobaltWolf out of curiosity, are there any other dependencies awaiting updates? I know there was talk about waiting for the new KAS, but I believe that is being developed in parallel to the existing one. 

Cheers,

DMagic has been developing a custom plugin for SEP - NOT based on his ModuleScienceAnimate. Look through the preceding pages, I think there's some screenshots / more info.

For my part, I looked at the current parts in Unity and made some tweaks to their colliders to hopefully make them better. I didn't have time to test them tho - OneDrive decided the best way to sync my KSP install (I have a 1tb student account that I work off of, since I switch between desktop and laptop daily) was to delete everything from the non-SEP folders first, then crash...

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Freshmeat said:

Yes, that sounds like OneDrive for Business......Hope that you managed to salvage most of the stuff from the HD of either laptop or desktop.

It wasn't anything that hadn't been uploaded to Github already for my own mods. I'm not sure how much more I'll need to do to get it back. It has been getting worse and worse for me. My laptop says I need to reinstall it to get it to sync again.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It wasn't anything that hadn't been uploaded to Github already for my own mods. I'm not sure how much more I'll need to do to get it back. It has been getting worse and worse for me. My laptop says I need to reinstall it to get it to sync again.

If it is OneDrive for Business, as student accounts often are, you need to clear your OneDrive cache. I used to have a link, but it has moved. Will check back on it in a couple of hours. I do a bit of IT support for my students and have learned some tricks along the way, and need to sync three pc's and a Mac.

Link: https://www.poremsky.com/office/clear-onedrive-onedrive-business-cache/

Edited by Freshmeat
Link found

12 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

That sucks. I hope everything works out. Don't take my curiosity for pestering. This mod is a must have for me, but even I know its just a mod.. for a game..

Cheers,