[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

7 minutes ago, ThatOneBritishGuy... said:

Is there a chance that the old part models could come back at some point? They were in fact quite well done in my opinion. And what is the fate of the camera and golf club experiments?

Golf club is still in. :) It hasn't been discussed much, our focus has been on the other aspects of the pack. But we haven't/aren't getting rid of it. What might happen is it will be something you equip using KIS (to make the Kerbal hold it in their hand) and then run the experiment from there. Personally I would like to include several things that don't require a scientist + engineer, or a full SEP, to use. But still keep with the theme of 'this science can only be conducted via manned missions'. The golf club fits. Another could be the Solar Wind Composition experiment from Apollo 11, which was basically a tarp they exposed to the solar wind for an hour before packing it up to be examined back on earth.
I'm not sure what camera you're talking about but I want to include one. The power port would be on the front, rather than the back, so that it faces the rest of the SEP.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Golf club is still in. :) It hasn't been discussed much, our focus has been on the other aspects of the pack. But we haven't/aren't getting rid of it. What might happen is it will be something you equip using KIS (to make the Kerbal hold it in their hand) and then run the experiment from there. Personally I would like to include several things that don't require a scientist + engineer, or a full SEP, to use. But still keep with the theme of 'this science can only be conducted via manned missions'. The golf club fits. Another could be the Solar Wind Composition experiment from Apollo 11, which was basically a tarp they exposed to the solar wind for an hour before packing it up to be examined back on earth.
I'm not sure what camera you're talking about but I want to include one. The power port would be on the front, rather than the back, so that it faces the rest of the SEP.

That sounds great (and THIS camera)

On 12/21/2015 at 11:39 AM, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf, @AlbertKermin: Can we download this thing right now or is it still in production.

Still very much in production. It's generally pretty slow going.

EDIT: To clarify, while we have things generally, ah, working in game, ie you can set one up, there are still a lot of bugs to iron out, and there are still things that need to get added before we're ready for a release. I'm shooting for at least two more experiments that I consider more or less essential.

EDIT2: After some more discussion, we decided that after I finish the two experiments we have in progress, we'll start shooting for release. Here's the Passive Seismic Experiment modeled.
kqlyhx5.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

22 hours ago, ZobrAA said:

Can't wait for the new release! :)

It's good to hear everyone's so excited for the release! I have finished the last two experiments we're planning on including in the first release: The weather monitoring experiment (atmospheres only!) and the passive seismic experiment. Once I send them to @AlbertKermin we'll be able to start testing the release.
7Is8Hpk.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 18/12/2015 at 4:23 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I was planning on making a rack to carry the pieces. The intent is to allow a decent sized setup ride just in the seat inventories of the lander can, but a larger setup would need additional storage. The current KIS containers are pretty big, so we'd include some lower profile ones, probably resembling the appearance of the real ALSEP racks

Excellent work guys!
And i wonder if is it possible make at least 1 container to put experiments compatible with universal storage, like dmagic do with his experiments ?

Edit: I just realised that universal storage have at least 1 container for kis so pretend i didn't say nothing here! :sealed:

Edited by Nemeko

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

"I brought this RTG with me, and what we're going to do is throw it away behind this rock. We don't need it."

"How does the RTG power the system if its not connected?"

XD thanks for quoting my post from the livestream.

@CobaltWolf, @AlbertKermin: Explain to me what still needs to be finished? It looked pretty much finished last night, just adjust some mass values and boom.

Edited by davidy12

Sciencedefs, probably something else I'm missing. We still need to figure out some balance stuff that escapes my mind right now.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that once we release it's not 'finished'. I'd like to come back and add some more things. The lower profile KAS containers, for example. We've also discussed perhaps having a rover, though we're unclear on how to differentiate it from the one in USI Exploration. And of course, more experiments.

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sciencedefs, probably something else I'm missing. We still need to figure out some balance stuff that escapes my mind right now.

EDIT: It's also worth noting that once we release it's not 'finished'. I'd like to come back and add some more things. The lower profile KAS containers, for example. We've also discussed perhaps having a rover, though we're unclear on how to differentiate it from the one in USI Exploration. And of course, more experiments.

The Rover in USI is awesome, but the problem is, it's extremely difficult to assemble it. It always explodes when I set it down (both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5). I hope it'll be fixed in 1.1. Also, even though it is cool, it's not exactly the most accurate in terms of Apollo also, I always have to put a probe on it to brake.

37 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

The Rover in USI is awesome, but the problem is, it's extremely difficult to assemble it. It always explodes when I set it down (both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5). I hope it'll be fixed in 1.1. Also, even though it is cool, it's not exactly the most accurate in terms of Apollo also, I always have to put a probe on it to brake.

I think it is supposed to emulate the KSP Promo rover from THIS VIDEO.

Don't Smoke Kids! Cigarettes contain Hydrazine (I'm being serious, they do: http://www3.epa.gov/airtoxics/hlthef/hydrazin.html. If you don't already know what Hydrazine is, it's a rocket fuel that's extremely toxic and grown, manly chemists will run away screaming like a little girl if they spill it), and a whole lot of others like cyanide, tar, formaldehyde, ammonia, acetone, lead, and 7000+ others.

God I'm glad I quit.

To give a more extended status update, I need to fix some stuff with some textures. And I believe we're still writing sciencedefs. There are a lot. I believe everything has OPM compatibility. But that's pretty much it. We've worked out all the bugs that I can find.

On 5/1/2016 at 5:53 PM, CobaltWolf said:

We've also discussed perhaps having a rover, though we're unclear on how to differentiate it from the one in USI

On 5/1/2016 at 6:47 PM, akron said:

The Rover in USI is awesome, but the problem is, it's extremely difficult to assemble it

what about an standard basic rover already assembled i mean with the tires and chairs and you finish it with whatever you want or need for example battery, lights, toolbox, experiments, antenna, etc.

having your standard rover permits you make a rover for your specific mission and don't waste time putting the tires, chairs and batteries

personally i prefer smaller rovers, USI is to big

Edited by Nemeko

Sup guys. I brought you a present. Beautiful. unpracticed video tutorials. (Also be sure to see the bottom of the post)

Also, a dev release. Perhaps I should have included more fanfare? haha. Hopefully we'll have a full release by the end of the week. If you want to help test, please download the dev release. Everything should work, we're mostly looking for things like typos or things like part masses that are completely out of line.

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Everything should work, we're mostly looking for things like typos or things like part masses that are completely out of line.

Some quick nitpicks to that effect:

At 7:40 in your video, we can see that the retroreflector experiment has a character that KSP doesn't like -- there's a fancy apostrophe from a word processor in the MunSrfLandedMidlands result.  A quick search reveals fancy apostrophes in the MunSrfLandedMidlands, MunSrfLandedPolarLowlands, and VallSrfLanded results of the solar wind spectrum experiment (the first of which is also seen in the video) and the MunSrfLandedHighlands result of the interior heat scan.

Also from the retroreflector, the default experiment result reads "The laser reflects back to telescopes on Kerbol" when it should be "back to Kerbin".

At 8:00, the ion detector talks about a "xeosphere", which I've never heard of...

The passive seismic data's KerbinSrfLandedLaunchPad result refers to a "Warner Kermin" -- the latter should probably be Kerman? -- the TektoSrfLanded result refers to "cryo- volcanic" activity, with an extra space in the middle, and I take exception to the KerbinSrfLandedDeserts result talking about the geologists taking "exemption".