Mun Base Lag

I was wondering if anyone knew about this. I have seen that in KSP a station in orbit takes around 0.7x real time for my computer (a large, refuelling station with tugs). However, a base that has around the same number of parts, but split in different pieces (main base, two crew vehicles, and a transporter) slows my computer down to 0.3x real time. Does anyone know whether if it is the textures of the ground around my base or if it is because I have separate vehicles sitting around my base instead of having them all attached?

I also have several mods installed, although I don't think that is really significant since all of my parts are stock and the game's not crashing.

i tried to do a mun base and ran into the same issues, if you have a craft less then 2.5km away then you can expect more lag, i don't know how many calculations each part gets per second, but lets say 10, anything around 400 parts really starts lagging my machine, as the calculations per second on one core of my cpu are around 4000. i hope that helps (note numbers are arbitrary and only for example as a demonstration of what i think i know, if some one smarter can chime in, please by all means.)

I suspect that's exactly the reason-- You have multiple craft inside the physics distance. Even if the part count is overall about the same, now you have a lot more calculations to do. Inside of one craft, the parts are only interacting through joints, and not collision meshes. A second vehicle nearby? Now every collision-mesh on each craft could potentially interact with the meshes of the other. The only way it'll know they're NOT touching, is to run through the calculations for all of them.

That's my best guess, anyway.

Inside of one craft, the parts are only interacting through joints, and not collision meshes.

Are you sure about that? Because I've made craft where different parts collide with each other not at the joints (e.g. landing struts pushing on other surfaces to simulate a kind of robotic actuator).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.