[0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Now open source!

kockaspiton

>gendalf

I just LOVE this kind of bug report... ALT+F2 and see what error it throws.

And maybe read the sentence "See http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/showthread.php/10094-0-16-Electrical-Energy-Plugin-v1-4-%28Aug-15%29 for FAQ and modding instructions." on Kerbal.net...

Sorry if offensive, I just came home from school...

MechJeb commanded probes, anyone?

Seriously, that would make things much easier. I agree with the radial attachment being a needed update.

I make my probes using the MMI Satellite Pack command pod. No kerbals hurt and I don't feel bad if I screw up a little and take a year to get somewhere.

And it helped me get Isa Mapsat probes around the new planets to plan for my landings.

maybe this is a newbe question, but do any solar panels other than the ones that come with the deep space mission pack actually feed the ion engine? I really love the look of a lot of the folding panels, but they never seem to work.

Hopefully the foldable panels in development wont actually fold too much. Maybe just unfold twice to create a 3 panel long solar panel. Too much detail makes them hard to use without lagging like a biotch. (my biggest problem with Kosmos pack). I dont think any other panels work with this pack unfortunately.

Edited by Xellith

can someone explain how the ion engine works?? i put a nuclear reactor, a battery, and a few solar panels with the ion engine and i cant get the thing to activate and my batteries say "-1" on power...

oh and also is this energy plugin compatible with say the MMI ion engines and batteries?

eh for those who want to know, you can take the pannels from kosmos pack, go into the part.cfg file in the dsm_solar_pannel folder, copy the line : solar panel perimeters all the way from the first { to the last }, then go into the kosmos solar pannels and paste that code in the bottom, its not elegant but you have folding solar panels now,

known bug, they generate power when undeployed,

thats about it

...or make sure their module line is set to SolarPanels_adv_PowerTech and add:

partResGenerator = true

power = [value]

that system is directly integrated into PowerTech and therefore takes all that shiny visual stuff into account too.

Edit:

Can we get more connection strenght and radial attachment on the struts? I had a nerdgasm with the reactors an hour ago but it was lacking both stability and strut attachment options.

Edited by Kreuzung

Hi, I have run into an unfortunate issue with this mod. I have an absurdly large interstellar craft with three parallel ion engines. Without the engines running there is no lag whatsoever. Unfortunately when I fire them up, it lags like crazy.

I have never had lag issues with engines before, so I can confirm that it is just the ion engines that are causing issues.

Perhaps there is a way to optimize the engine code? I would really appreciate it if the lag could be cut at least down to playable levels!

Otherwise this mod is one of the best mods out there! Keep up the good work! :D

Edited by Thrfoot

When I'm running more then one ion engine it causes massive lag during acceleration.

I've tried all sorts of things to no avail. Removed the sound and fx definitions, thinking the animations caused the lag. Changed it to a LiquidFuelEngine and just use no fuel, but that made half my ship disappear. Both DSM and VB ion engines do this, so perhaps anything that uses module = IonEngine. The debug log doesn't saying anything useful, just when items are being forced on. Tried to use EPS as the module (bottom of the cfg), but use IonEngine (top of cfg). Googled for three days. Even mucked around inside the source code.

Just wanted to have my kethane mining ship dock in between the ion engines for long trips. Either way, everything else works great, and this is definitely an essential mod for me. Great work!

>Thrfoot, Spaceghȫst

Hmm... how many batteries do these ships have? How many parts?

Maybe there's a problem with the EL_API on large ships, if yes I'll try to optimize it.

Behold, the IPTV Longsword!

Epic shot:

GHsP3.png

Overview:

mbrqH.png

Main Engines:

6lAWB.jpg

Total parts: ~200

Total Electrical parts: 12

x4 Battery

x4 Nuclear Reactor

x4 Ion Engine

Hope this helps!

do i see some erkle warp clamps on that beast?

Yep! This thing will be carrying its own fleet of landers and drones with it!

>Thrfoot

So it probably is the part count... Means I just have to make it only check for the energy-holding parts on the vessel and not the rest.

Ok, I'll await your fix then. Hopefully it'll be a simple change so I can fly this thing in the near future... :)

>

Hmm... how many batteries do these ships have? How many parts?

Maybe there's a problem with the EL_API on large ships, if yes I'll try to optimize it.

I ran two DSM ion engines and two nuke reactors, plus an EPS big battery just for weight distribution. My ship, once launched, has about 150+ parts. Normally I would run 4 x ion engines, but just to test I made the lighter configuration.

Thank you for looking at this. I really appreciate it! :)

My four engine ship: ISS-1 Mothership

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34201[/ATTACH]

Edit: I'm off to Duna! Found a dirty fix. Not sure what consequences may occur, but everything checks out alright (consumption, lag, etc). I also added sound_rocket_ion2.wav from the VB pack to use with the DSM ion engines... for funsies! Here's the change I made in El_API:

public static bool Consume(float Amount, Vessel vessel)
{
if (GetVesselEnergy(vessel) < Amount) return false;//Runs faster and prevents lag with batteries empty
//Check each part containing energy
foreach (Part p in vessel.parts)
{
if (p.Resources.Contains("Energy"))
//Part resource
Amount -= p.RequestResource("Energy", Amount);
if (Amount <= 0.0001) return true;
}
return false;
}

I hope this is helpful. If not, at least let me bring you back some souvenirs from Duna! :P

Edited by Spaceghöst
Found a... sorta.. fix.

I think it's the Resources.Contains("Energy") ... I'll make some really large test ships to see if it works, also removed the if (GetVesselEnergy(vessel) < Amount) return false; because it shouldn't boost performance anymore.

I think it's the Resources.Contains("Energy") ... I'll make some really large test ships to see if it works, also removed the if (GetVesselEnergy(vessel) < Amount) return false; because it shouldn't boost performance anymore.

I hope you get it fixed.

I tried to build the ship from stephan hawkings flight to the futere.

But the second i fire up de ion engines it becomes uncontrollable due to the lag.

The ship has 6 ion engines /14 reactors/20+ large rcs tanks/4 dsm sas units/

I modded the ion engines for 3 times the thrust and a little more then 2 times the powerdraw.

When its at the launch pad including launch stage the altitude is already 120m lol.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.