[0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Now open source!

kockaspiton

It's very heavy and cannot support an ion engine at full thrust, but it's good if you don't mind having a horrible TWR because you can use the ion engine at night too.

You should consider using one or two batteries instead though, they're a lot lighter than a single reactor.

I'm using the latest version (i think) of your electricity plugin (1.4.2) and the problem is still present. I don't get it...

Same here. Maybe I've overdone it a bit with 8 ion engines :)

As soon as I turn them on I get less than a frame/second

• 6 months later...
Does the centrifuge spin now?

Sure, as long as you keep pressing Q or E :D. Nope, they don't work yet, to be honest I'm not really an expert in animation and that part of KSP moding isn't very well documented either. I could make it work by the usal try and error approach but I don't really feel up to the task right now. Maybe when 0.20 comes out and I'll be inspired about the game again :).

That's okay - I always thought of the centrifuge part as being a housing for an internal living wheel. Sort of like how it was on the Discovery in 2001 Space Odyssey - the spin-hab wasn't visible as such from the outside.

(Kubrick only got two things wrong with that concept - 1) The hab needed to be MUCH bigger to provide anything close to Earth normal "gravity" without inducing Coriolis motion sickness in the crew. And 2) There needed to be TWO spin-habs, with the 2nd one counter-rotating to cancel out the torque and keep the Discovery herself from spinning. Although I COULD see the use of a complicated set of weights and counter-spinning "inner ring" in-line with the spin-hab ring that would work as well. But if you're going to go to that much trouble, you may as well have the 2nd spin-hab anyway.)

Isnt this the ship from Mission To Mars? (Love That Film) I only wish the mods centrifuge part serve a purpose ,would be cool if you decoupled just before landing then moved over slightly and landed next to it and you could still have the ERV like of the Film (if this is of the film) and the centrifuge could act as a place to store kerbals or even space for a rover?

But these things are a bit too much of an asking since your not inspired by the game at the moment. But it would be cool

Love the mod using it since 0.17 .(when i got the game)

Edited by samcar304

• 3 weeks later...

I was planning a centrifuge piece when I said to myself "for each and every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". So a centrifuge = spinning.. spinning everywhere. Whats a good centrifuge design? Anyone got any pics (bitmap or otherwise) I can use as reference material?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.