[0.21][Parts Pack]Deep Space Mission Pack - Now open source!

kockaspiton

Just have two centrifuges spinning in different directions.

Or an over-complicated S.A.S. + A.S.A.S. piece that counter-acts the rotative forces by it's own, without messing with any RCS.

Counter-rotating centrifuges is certainly the best route. Not only does it now double the space with gravity, but you don't need complicated gyroscopes in the form of SAS instead.

This is a great Part pack. I like everything about it. The only proplem i have is with the DSM Decoupler. It seems whenever i use it, there is a 80% chance it just explodes and cripples my ship.

Weird... make sure your decoupler isn't clipping another part. I've run into this problem a number of times by moving too quickly in the VAB, and connecting a decoupler to or by the wrong node.

In technical terms, s'plodey things get super s'plodey when overlapping other parts.

Well I can make one that is fully animated (you just flick it on) but you cant attach anything to it since the nodes are stationary through the animation. Meaning that the centrifuge would spin but the things you attach to the centrifuge would be all "I dont get paid to spin around in a circle for you". Anyone know how to impliment this in unity or some such? Its really the only thing holding me back from making a "real" centrifuge.

The Discovery had a large flywheel just behind the centrifuge, rotating in the opposite direction, so only one actual centrifuge was required. I had blueprints of the ship when I was a kid, but have no idea where they came from or what became of them.

Will the you (kockaspiton) ever consider adding more parts? I know you're taking a break, but there really aren't any parts that transition from 2.5 down to the 1m parts

Sure, I have some motivation at the moment, but no time :), we'll see about it when I'm finished with my finals. Also I'm taking a class about computer graphics next semester so I hope I can combine work with fun, while improving the pack. I'll look into the animation, I messed around in Unity so I better understand the system now, I could create an own plugin for centrifuges that do more than just spin, when I have time.

Sure, I have some motivation at the moment, but no time :), we'll see about it when I'm finished with my finals. Also I'm taking a class about computer graphics next semester so I hope I can combine work with fun, while improving the pack. I'll look into the animation, I messed around in Unity so I better understand the system now, I could create an own plugin for centrifuges that do more than just spin, when I have time.

Nice! Yeah finals are a pain, I personally have a 15 page research paper for my finals. You've made some awesome parts, so I'm glad to hear you've got motivation and are just waiting for the time.

Well I can make one that is fully animated (you just flick it on) but you cant attach anything to it since the nodes are stationary through the animation. Meaning that the centrifuge would spin but the things you attach to the centrifuge would be all "I dont get paid to spin around in a circle for you". Anyone know how to impliment this in unity or some such? Its really the only thing holding me back from making a "real" centrifuge.

Does'nt damned robotics do the whole moving of things attached to moving things...thing? Might be worth a ping?

:)

This is really good looking. Something about that circular pod with the struts on it is incredible. Keep up the good work. (please D: )

Edited by miro

• 2 weeks later...
can you post the nuclear reactor as a stand alone part. it is really useful and i need it, however i never use any of the other parts

so go into the parts folder that you get from dl'ing the mod, find this nuclear reactor part, and just put that one part into the parts folder rather than all of the parts.

I really like this pack, but it's currently the second largest folder in my GameData, despite not really having that much stuff in it, compared to, say, B9. For example, the Ion engine is 2 models at 4mb each - 8mb. For comparison, the AEIS Moghul engine is 2 models at 768kb each - a total of 1.53mb, or roughly 5 times smaller. Could it be optimised a bit?

I think there should be attachable fuel tanks for the struts. Furthermore it\'d be good to see some docking ports, so you could bring landers or probes to your missions. A communication dish and antennas would be pretty neat as well.

You'd better hope with all your heart that the Communications Dish isn't one of those pesky AE35 units that troubled Hal and the crew of Discovery 1.

Great parts but a little request please:

I've used the DSM long command pod on my SSTO; when I land back at KSC and go EVA the kerbalnaut exits head down thus:

2hY33TR.png

I would like to use this pod for a variety of landers so any chance of having him exiting the other way up? Thanks.

• 1 month later...

No matter what, this pack need at least a quick 0.21 fix.

Its way too cool to play without.

btw. I really love the strut decoupler, which has one flaw you can't see (on the texture) to which side it will decouple. it becomes a problem while rotating it. I fixed it that way that I edited the file so it will separate always both sides.

And I also made me a smaller version (just copied it and used the resize parameter) to get one which is compatible with the stock parts.

Agreed. This pack actually contains a part which I can't build my space station without believe it or not. I'd really like to see a .21 update.

They don't NEED a 0.21 update. They're just parts, and the format for parts did not change transitioning from 0.20.x to 0.21.x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.