Career, Sandbox, or Science?

G'th

Career, Sandbox, or Science?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Career, Sandbox, or Science?

• Career
    • Sandbox
    • Science! TM

So with .24 coming....soon....I wonder what everybody is going to be playing.

From what we know, there is now three different modes for KSP, one being the newly revamped Career, the classic Sandbox, and the new Science mode, which is basically Career Classic.

I personally am going to be doing Career, hopefully with all the hardcore goody mods packed in. The more I learn about the new Career mode the more I realize that it'll be really really entertaining to play this game that way.

So, what do you guys plan on doing for .24?

Probably career mode for the contracts. I've been waiting months for career mode to get fleshed out like that. Though I might wait to see what they've got planned for .25 @.,@

I'll also probably play some science mode just 'cause.

Definitely career. I lost a couple of my big games (career and sandbox) and big ship designs over time due to upgrades, facepalm deletes, etc., so fully operational career mode is just what I need to really get back into KSP.

I think KSP is enriched by things like space junk, broken ships, and defunct space stations orbiting in the wrong direction, so I'm anxious to restart and start piling up the space trash. My saddest loss was when my save broke before I could collide two of my 70-Kerbal super ships, but as I had about 15 of them floating around in space, and they were 2,000 parts at launch, sooooo I'm not surprised it broke eventually. But they were magnificent I tell you, magnificent, and my goal will be to rebuild them in career.

Anyone else planning on playing with infinite debris?

Career ... at the beginning without mods aside from Engineer Redux (for the one to familiarize myself to the new mechanisms, for he other to give modmakers the chance to update their mods) later with realism mods (DRE, FAR, TAC LS, Procedural Fairings, maybe the MFD mod as well)

Perhaps also Science mode, depending on gusto

For real who in the right mind wouldn't try out the new feature? The only people i feel who would stray away from it are the ones attached to mods that wouldn't work.

So' date=' what do you guys plan on doing for .24?[/quote']

Not to be a downer, but I've really been mowing this one over... What does this system really add?

A) Access to Mission control Building.

B) Missions that we've pretty much already had to do, just without money. (how many times have you lost a kerbal in space and went to get him?)

C) 2 new parts.

D) A few new buttons.

E) 64 Bit.

F) Money that doesn't effect anything. (They've actually said you'll never really have to worry about it)

The major part of this update (to me), is the fact that the game is now 64 bit and has some new parts. The rest actually is starting to seem like just an aesthetic thing. Granted that you do get science for the missions, which will help build science quicker. That's a bonus I suppose. I think it would have been better if there was real danger in you're space agency failing due to lack of currency.

Edited by Talavar

I think Something is wrong with the poll..

Career

34 91.89%

Sandbox

7 18.92%

Science! TM

5 13.51%

Multiple Choice Poll.

91% + 18%+13% = 122%?

122% Of people on the forums voted on this! lol...

I pretty much look forward to the new career mode. Finally, another limitation to my ship design other than my CPU! Making ships with limitless budget can be boring sometimes...

Not to be a downer, but I've really been mowing this one over... What does this system really add?

A) Access to Mission control Building.

B) Missions that we've pretty much already had to do, just without money. (how many times have you lost a kerbal in space and went to get him?)

C) 2 new parts.

D) A few new buttons.

E) 64 Bit.

F) Money that doesn't effect anything. (They've actually said you'll never really have to worry about it)

The major part of this update (to me), is the fact that the game is now 64 bit and has some new parts. The rest actually is starting to seem like just an aesthetic thing. Granted that you do get science for the missions, which will help build science quicker. That's a bonus I suppose. I think it would have been better if there was real danger in you're space agency failing due to lack of currency.

Contracts make career mode something that isn't just an arbitrarily restricted version of Sandbox mode. Right now, the only functional difference between sandbox and career mode is having to unlock parts, but once you unlock all the parts (which isn't hard) you end up with just sandbox. Contracts and Budgets will make the Career endgame more interesting.

And while yes the default settings make money virtually pointless, its not like they said that what we're getting is going to be the final settings for everything. Besides, its been pretty obvious since they pushed the update back that budgets weren't going to be as deep as they could be. They only added budgets to allow contracts to have a bit more of a point.

It was multiple choice. Some people chose two or more.

I hope we aren't delayed because of "Science!" mode. :mad:

I doubt it, science mode is already implemented and they probably just need to add a simple button in the script.

Career, because I'm looking forward to being challenged to do things I've not done yet (noob) and to see what the modders can add with missions.

The idea of things like scsnsat adding missions is appealing to me and hopefully modders could use some of the more scripted methods for mission creation than the totally procedural ones.

Eg. "we need a decent map of Kerbin to help geologists learn more about the planet, put an xyz260 into an 80-120 km polar orbit to begin the mapping process. You get paid x for getting 20% of the surface mapped, y for 75% and a final payment of Z for complete mapping. "

Then, if the contracts are able, it would monitor the mapped state and pay accordingly. Maybe after 50% was done it would offer another for the Mun, or a different one (oceanographic, space telescope, etc etc) for Kerbal. Later missions for each body would be more challenging than the previous.

I'll most defiantly be using contracts in 0.24, because I like a challenge.

Unless you actually meant to be in some way rebellious with regards to the update, that's an interesting typo you have there :P

Anyway,

Career. I can't see any particularly good reason to stick with Science because my 0.23.5 save is identical to sandbox now and that'd be missing out on the new content :)

Well I want to play with the new contracts, and after I've done that, I'll mod the hell out of them and make them into real companies, blitz the game with as many realism mods as it can handle, and basically adjust anything that is adjustable.

I was really unsure about career mode when Harvester first described it, but now I think it is an amazing idea. I really like optimizing existing ideas. I spent maybe 70% of my time in KSP with testing and experimenting on rocket designs, but I rarely went any farther than Duna. I think I will have a lot of fun when designing the next moon lander, and improving its cost efficiency on every single step. Landing on the moon? Easy. Making it affordable for anyone, anytime? Well, that's the trick.

I think the cost efficiency will radically change how rockets will be built. For example, landing next to KSC always was just a gimmick up to this point, but now it really pays off. Also, because we can't properly recover stages that were splitted in the atmosphere this makes it more interesting to either use cheap parts instead (i.e. boosters might be more cost-efficient for stage 1 now), or to reach a stable orbit either with stage 1 or 2.

Interesting times! I'm kind of hyped for 0.24 now as well :)

I want it all and i cant wait to build the most cost efficient designs for generic missions to finance a grand tour. Constructing a large scale interplanetary vessel in orbit to visit all celestial bodies in one go, thats my objective for .24