[1.2] Impossible Innovations 0.8.7.6

jandcando

Lisias has graciously undertook ownership of this mod! Check out their forum thread for all future updates and announcements: 

Impossible Innovations is a parts pack for KSP that adds some late-game parts based on fusion. I'm still working on it, but I feel that it has enough content to deserve a post here. Here's the rundown:

The mod adds several engine types that run off of deuterium.

There is also a powerful RCS system driven by tritium. The reaction wheels also use tritium.

Other all-around useful parts are added like the dead weight, different strut varieties, better parachutes, etc.

Download from GitHub

Download from Dropbox

Download from SpaceDock

Impossible Innovations can be installed using CKAN!

Contributions From:

• Dungchunker (For creating the amazing blue models you see)
  • Baconator900 (For being my one-man testing team)
  • Lando (For creating Part Generator)

Changelog:

Spoiler

0.8.7.6:
    Updated depended mods in package for those who aren't using CKAN
    Recompiled code for KSP version 1.2
    Increased hydrogen tank capacity from 2000 to 3000
    Implemented a rough compatibility with the Community Tech Tree
    Fixed some parts not loading in KSP 1.2
    Re-assigned part VAB categories to make them easier to find in 1.2
    Fixed TweakScale configs for the CL-20 Flea engine
    Fixed TweakScale configs for the Dead Weight

0.8.7.5:
    Updated all dependent mods that come in package
    Code recompile for 1.1.3 (very late)

0.8.7.4:
    Removed Thumbs.db

0.8.7.3:

Recomiled for KSP version 1.0.5. I know it's very late, but this will make the transition to 1.1 easier.

Ion wings now have action groups for On, Off, and Toggle

The Toggle Button is available in-flight

New readouts for Ion Wing's State

New behavior for Ion Wings:
    When electricCharge runs out, the wings shut off
    They must be manually re-activated to work again
This is as opposed to the previous behavior, where they would rapidly switch on and off as electricCharge began trickling in

The Tweakscale and Module Manager packages included in the package are up-to-date as well

0.8.7.2:

Fixed the dead weight's bottom node to have a negative angle. I checked, and that's the last one. (Hopefully)

Updated the included Module Manager version.

0.8.7.1:

Recomplie code for KSP version 1.0.4

Latest versions of Module Manager and Tweakscale included

The Tweakscale that comes with Impossible Innovations now only has configs for Impossible Innovations. If you want all the stock configs, go install Tweakscale.

0.8.7:

The standard fusion engine is no longer buggy.

All resources have a specific heat capacity value now.

0.8.6:

Plugin recompiled for KSP 1.0.2

All bottom nodes corrected to an angle of -1 instead of 1

New Ionized Wing varieties (delta, small delta, and boards A-C)

Old Ion Wing moved to legacy folder. It will load in old ships, but is not visible in editor

Ionized Wings now display their current lift and electric consumption

Ionized Wings no longer explode when there is no electricCharge, now they set their lift to less than a normal wing's

Editor scene filters for Impossible Innovations (with a little icon I made)

all stock counterpart textures switched to .dds. Now I can edit them to stand out!

Added a CL-20 booster that looks like Squad's "flea" booster

Hydrogen intake is nerfed slightly

Some .dds textures like the dense solar panel are edited to make them different from stock

Tech tree that is compatible with KSP 1.0 - no longer needs TechManger

0.8.5:

Added a CL-20 sepatron

All code recompliled for KSP v0.90

Fixed up the code for the hydrogen converter. There shouldn't be any more issues.

Nerfed hydrogen intake to 1/4 of its previous performance.

0.8:

Added a stable, but unbalanced tech tree, powered by TechManager!

New models for aluminum strut, iridium strut, radial battery pack, and the x8 deuterium tank!

Radial battery is now rescalable.

Fixed the positions of a few placement nodes.

All nodes are now size 1! That means no more massive 3-meter nodes on a tiny 1-meter part.

Support for the Addon Version Checker by cybutek was added! It isn't in the release package, but the option to monitor the version of this mod is now available if you want to do it. Just install AVC.

4-Kerbal command pod now uses tritium instead of ElectricCharge for torque. The weak RTG is still in place, though.

The 4-Kerbal command pod's IVA was removed due to weird clipping stuff while inside.

0.7:

ADDED FEATURES:

Included TweakScale in Impossible Innovations. This drastically changed the part layout. Here's the new system:

Engines:

There are only 4 deuterium engines now; a standard model, a standard radial model, a High-Efficiency model, and a Low-Efficiency model.

Added a new CL-20 booster and tweaked lots of the engine settings for all CL-20 boosters.

ALL engines are fully rescalable from 0.625m to 7m.

Tanks:

There are now only 4 deuterium tanks, varying only in length.

There are only 2 tritium tanks; a stackable and a radial type.

ALL tanks are rescalable.

I added 2 new ships to the VAB ship selection; an Impossible Lander and The Impossible Missle of Doom.

There is now only 1 dead weight. The dead weight now has a resource called "Lead." Lead adds the correct amount of weight per unit (liter) added to the part. The larger the dead weight is upscaled, the more lead it can hold.

Engines can now be requested for testing in contracts.

There are now only 2 kind of rescalable parachutes; a top-stack one and a radial one.

Solar panels are rescalable.

TDRCS ports are now rescalable.

Poofing part is now rescalabe.

Both probe cores are now rescalable.

There is now only 1 kind of stackable battery pack.

CHANGED FEATURES / NOTES:

THIS UPDATE WILL BREAK EVERY SHIP THAT USES IMPOSSIBLE INNOVATIONS PARTS, WITHOUT EXCEPTION.

I have left the hydrogen processing system, the reaction wheel system, and the ionized wing out of the TweakScale system for now. They will come eventually.

I played with lots of part prices and settings.

The command pod will never be rescalable, and neither will the struts.

I left the radial battery pack out of the TweakScale system because it will be replaced soon.

REMOVED FEATURES:

Treeloader is no longer! I will be using TechManager in the next release.

I removed pretty much every engine and tank, except for the ones currently implemented.

Removed the Impossible Innovations Heavy craft from the VAB.

0.6.2.1:

Changed GameData file name from "Impossible Innovations" to "ImpossibleInnovations." Very minor. Is intended to make it compatible with CKAN.

0.6.2:

Recompiled for KSP v0.25.

0.6.1:

~Fixed Hydrogen Converter not draining or adding electric charge

~Improved code

0.6:

+Added a Hydrogen Intake

+Added a Hydrogen Tank

+Added a Hydrogen Converter

+Added a Poofing Part

~Ionized wing now drains ElectricCharge

-Removed Mk1-4 Pod interior

-Removed the annoying (II) tag in part names

0.5.1:

~Updated to the .24.2 tech tree.

Was still using old .22 tech tree. That meant no NASA parts! D:

It's all fixed now!

0.5:

+Gave all resources a price

~Re-priced fuel tanks so that an empty tank isn't that expensive

~Reduced reaction wheel torque to something more manageable

~Cleaned up configs so they are neater. Nothing to do with gameplay, but still belongs in the changelog.

0.4:

Patched for .23.5!

Many, many, many bugs and problems are ironed out in this update thanks to Baconator900.

~Made sure none of the parts referenced .DAE models.

~Tweaked dead weights' mass to match that of lead.

-Removed thrust vector engine.

+Added thrust vector capability to the normal engine.

+Added a 2m battery bank.

~Updated Included Treeloader package

~Moved tritium tanks from control to propulsion so people can find them.

~changed the standard engine model to be able to have a gimbal animation

~fixed node locations of the stack probe cores

+some parts got non-stock models. and they look amazing! (models by Dungchunker)

~fixed strut texutres

+added an iridium strut (1/2 length, but much stronger than normal strut)

+added a Heavy Craft to the ships folder

0.3:

Added a tech tree!! (This took some doing :) )

Nerfed batteries.

Removed deployable solars and replaced them with flat ones (this will break some craft)

Added more command pods.

Made it so my reaction wheels now use tritium instead of electricity.

Added a 2m Reaction Wheel

All command pods use tritium instead of electricity to generate torque.

0.2.6:

Added Tritium-Driven RCS, or TDRCS

Moved Ships folder outside of GameData (I derped up before)

Fixed the names and descriptions of some parts

Added names to all the tanks and engines! They are pretty bad names, but at least they are distingushable from each other now.

(Accidentally) changed the texture on the Aluminum Strut! I was trying to clean up the files, and now the strut is pure white; I guess that means there is no texture... I'm just going to go with it. :)

0.2.5.2:

Patched for KSP .21 :D

Fixed some issues regarding parachutes, plus I tweaked them

I did some price balancing :P. You will find the fusion engines unchanged, but the deuterium is now VERY expensive.

I cleaned the files up a bit.

Swapped out the probe engines for their new counterparts in stock KSP (I like the models better)

Added a new tank and a new engine.

I'm sure I tweaked other things, but this is all I can think of.

0.2.5.1:

Re-Organized the Files for a Near-Effortless Installation

0.2.5:

Finalized Fixing + Added an Updated Impossible Innovations Lander!

0.2.4:

Changed One Last Thing

0.2.3:

Fixed More Overlooked Issues

0.2.2:

Fixed Overlooked Issues

0.2.1:

KSP .20 Patch

0.2:

Expansions to Tanks

0.1:

Initial Release!

Part Information:

Spoiler

Aerodynamics:

Spoiler

Ionized wing: Wings that can alter the properties of the air flow beneath them, making the air press on the wing from the bottom. This process consumes electricity. If the wing has no source of electricity, it will quit producing amazing amounts of lift.

Control:

Spoiler

TDRCS Block: A tritium-driven RCS block. Uses tritium instead of mono-propellant, and is much stronger.

TDRCS Linear: A linear version of a normal TDRCS thruster that can only fire in one direction.

Strong Reaction Wheel: Uses tritium instead of electricity to produce massive amounts of torque.

Engines:

Spoiler

Fusion Engines: Fusion engines run on deuterium and are very efficient. There are 3 type to choose from.

CL-20 Boosters: A solid fuel booster that runs on China Lake 20, a propellant that doesn't emit any smoke, is 20% stronger than normal solid fuel, and is a little more efficient. Boosters come in all shapes and sizes.

Fuel Tanks:

Spoiler

Deuterium Tanks: These tanks hold deuterium, the fuel used by fusion engines.

Tritium Tanks: These tanks hold tritium, the fuel used by TDRCS thrusters and also reaction wheels that use tritium.

Command:

Spoiler

Manned Pod: This command pod can hold 4 kerbals and has a very weak RTG built in. The reaction wheels inside operate using tritium.

Probe Cores: There are 2 probe cores: a flat rescalable one and and a cubic one. All use tritium for torque.

Structural Parts:

Spoiler

Struts: There are 2 added struts: A basic aluminum strut and a high-tier iridium strut. The aluminum strut is lighter than the standard strut and it can extend twice as far. It is slightly weaker, though. The iridium strut can only extend half the distance of a normal strut, and it is heavier. This strut is very strong.

Dead Weights: We also give a lead weight. The volume of the weight can be changed via TweakScale, and there is a "Lead" resource that is tweakable and adds the correct amount of weight per liter of Lead.

Poofing Part: This part can be made to instantly disappear on command, sort of a like a super-clean decoupler. It has a safety feature to prevent "accidents".

Utilities:

Spoiler

Battery Packs and Banks: Both inline and radial radioactive rechargeable batteries are added. They have very high electric capacity, but tend to be heavy and fragile.

Advanced Solar Panel: This small solar panel is surprisingly heavy for its size, as it is packed with sun-collecting technology. No sun-tracking abilities.

Advanced Parachutes: These parachutes use advanced fibers in their material. They are quite forceful when deploying at high speeds, but they will slow your craft down so long as they remain attached.

Hydrogen Intake: This intake will slowly collect hydrogen from the atmosphere, and also in space. The thinner the air, the slower it collects.

Hydrogen Tank: This tank will store collected hydrogen.

Hydrogen Isotope Converter: A machine to convert hydrogen into either deuterium or tritium using electricity. You can also convert deuterium and tritium back into hydrogen and gain electricity, but you won't get all your hydrogen back.

A little bit of useful info on how Impossible Innovations alters the tech tree:

Impossible Innovations uses ModuleManager to place additional nodes to the tech tree. So if other mods do likewise, the possibility exists that there may be overlapping nodes, but no functionality would be lost. There is some basic integration with the Community Tech Tree, so don't worry about compatibility issues there.

License Stuffs:

Spoiler

Impossible Innovations is licensed under Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License

Impossible Innovations includes a copy of the mod Module Manager by ialdabaoth (under the CC share-alike license)

Impossible Innovations includes a copy of the mod Tweakscale by Biotronic (under the WTFPL license)

Under the WTFPL license, Impossible Innovations includes a version of Tweakscale with no configs other than the Impossible Innovations configs. -If you want all the other configs, go install Tweakscale.

Impossible Innovations uses code adapted from Karbonite by RoverDude under the Creative Commons 4.0 Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License (I'm borrowing some code that checks the amount of a resource throughout the entire vessel. Saved me some time. Thanks!)

Edited by jandcando
New management

Well like.. are they fuel tanks? RCS tanks? Thrusters? Nuclear reactors? I see something above the battery that isn't stock, what's that? I see a command pod that isn't stock, care to share some details about that? What are these parts stats? What even are they? The wiki says you use stock models, but the blue glow says otherwise. You say they're late-game parts based on fusion - what parts? What do they do? Do they provide electric charge? Where are they unlocked in the tree? Do they need fuel? Is that fuel included?

Well like.. are they fuel tanks? RCS tanks? Thrusters? Nuclear reactors? I see something above the battery that isn't stock, what's that? I see a command pod that isn't stock, care to share some details about that? What are these parts stats? What even are they? The wiki says you use stock models, but the blue glow says otherwise. You say they're late-game parts based on fusion - what parts? What do they do? Do they provide electric charge? Where are they unlocked in the tree? Do they need fuel? Is that fuel included?

I'm new to the forums, so thanks for asking all those questions. Now I know what needs to be added here.

EDIT: the new content should be more than satisfactory

Edited by jandcando

Fuel tanks (Deuterium) and RCS tanks (Trittium) also a new model for a large SAS (trittium driven) and some new models for the a large and small Pod. They function pretty much the same as stock witht he exception that they are mostly trittium driven intestead of using electricity and deuterium driven instead of using Liquid fule and Oxygen. More powerful....looks cool...and is a great mod if your wanting to make experimental ships. Hell....I use it in my play all the time..one of my favorit mods...which is why I am modeling for it. I am working on new models for the other parts in it as well...some are custom some are still stock with CFG edits...but it's comming along.

New and improved! Futuristic parts that glow black! So amazing, you're not worthy of even seeing it.

I'm getting flashbacks from grade school when the teacher read "the emperor's new clothes" to the class.

How about more pics, maybe even a video? People that use the mod could contribute by uploading pics and posting them here, as well. When it comes to sell your products, there's no such thing as 'enough illustration'. =)

I'm getting that too... Strange

I'm not sure what you're talking about... Can you be more specific? Nothing is seriously wrong on my end.

- - - Updated - - -

New and improved! Futuristic parts that glow black! So amazing, you're not worthy of even seeing it.

I'm getting flashbacks from grade school when the teacher read "the emperor's new clothes" to the class.

Sorry, but I have no idea what you are referring to.

Could people be more specific on where they are seeing this "black on black" thing? Is it a problem with the Imgur album, or something else?

Edited by jandcando

How about more pics, maybe even a video? People that use the mod could contribute by uploading pics and posting them here, as well. When it comes to sell your products, there's no such thing as 'enough illustration'. =)

I'll get some more pics if you want. You are free to contribute as well.

Here are some older screen shots from earlier test builds..Part models are still the same though.

220200_2013-11-13_00007.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BVvVjC0hMXU/UqD-vuMrIPI/AAAAAAAAAg8/4c_XI96Kk2k/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-13_00007.png

220200_2013-11-13_00015.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QoWJJiKueTk/UqD-wl3ywrI/AAAAAAAAAhI/OLajHyKWGN4/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-13_00015.png

220200_2013-11-30_00006.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FsIAlkOI2Ig/UqD_A2DzoFI/AAAAAAAAAh8/T1KNtrIL44s/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-30_00006.png

220200_2014-01-24_00002.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-n_HwQKD3J1w/U8kv_QvZaLI/AAAAAAAAAwA/9gpvlRB8d-o/w1024-h768-no/220200_2014-01-24_00004.png

A few of the parts in this pics may not be in the mod..like the escape pod..which is still a WIP. Also these are just some of the custom models there are many more parts in the actual mod.

KSP+Station+Bird+Dock+1200.jpg

There's been a problem with some of the pictures showing Black for some viewers due to a Forum issue I believe, so i put the links below the pictures for those of you getting the Blanks...maybe this will let you view them.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-3JBkzWVeij8/U40FE2a9htI/AAAAAAAAAqs/ZBTSQOGmSY4/w1520-h855-no/KSP+Station+Bird+Dock.jpg

Edited by Dungchunker

Could people be more specific on where they are seeing this "black on black" thing? Is it a problem with the Imgur album, or something else?

I raised this as a possible forum fault - some embedded imgur albums, including yours, are appearing completely black; all the borders & tools are there, just no pictures. Obviously it's not happening for everyone but equally obviously it's not just me.

KasperVid says the embedding is incorrect: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86389-Blank-Imgur-Albums

I raised this as a possible forum fault - some embedded imgur albums, including yours, are appearing completely black; all the borders & tools are there, just no pictures. Obviously it's not happening for everyone but equally obviously it's not just me.

KasperVid says the embedding is incorrect: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86389-Blank-Imgur-Albums

Thanks for pointing that out, but my album is embedded correctly according to that thread.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some older screen shots from earlier test builds..Part models are still the same though.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-BVvVjC0hMXU/UqD-vuMrIPI/AAAAAAAAAg8/4c_XI96Kk2k/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-13_00007.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-QoWJJiKueTk/UqD-wl3ywrI/AAAAAAAAAhI/OLajHyKWGN4/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-13_00015.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FsIAlkOI2Ig/UqD_A2DzoFI/AAAAAAAAAh8/T1KNtrIL44s/w1024-h768-no/220200_2013-11-30_00006.png

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2KNt9ovn9BM/U8kv8EkXIVI/AAAAAAAAAvo/QGyjVRZYnhk/w1024-h768-no/220200_2014-01-24_00002.png

A few of the parts in this pics may not be in the mod..like the escape pod..which is still a WIP. Also these are just some of the custom models there are many more parts in the actual mod.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XzRy0lsyc_k/U40HVl7xiLI/AAAAAAAAArs/uUbES69La7c/w1200-h675-no/KSP+Station+Bird+Dock+1200.jpg

Thanks for the pics! Do you mind if I add them to the Imgur album?

Thanks for the pics! Do you mind if I add them to the Imgur album?

Of course not! anything I post on here for your mod (pictures or whatever) is your to distribute or do with as you like.

Thanks! I'll add them now.

Thanks for pointing that out, but my album is embedded correctly according to that thread....

Rats! An easy fix was too much to hope for :-(

Ah well, at least you know you're not at fault now, I'll have to continue trying to find out why I can't see anything.

Good luck with the mod.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to Impossible Innovations 0.5 for KSP version 0.24.x!

Changes:

+Gave all resources a price

~Re-priced fuel tanks so that an empty tank isn't that expensive

~Reduced reaction wheel torque to something more manageable

~Cleaned up configs so they are neater. Nothing to do with gameplay, but still belongs in the changelog.

• 2 weeks later...

Jandcando - I have a question:

I'm currently running your 0.3 II mod, but its tech tree is kinda borked in that it doesn't include Actuators - the tech that allows for the grabbing module.

Is that fixes in your later versions here? I ask because its kinda hard to check that kind of stuff manually... it takes a while to grind enough science for that

Jandcando - I have a question:

I'm currently running your 0.3 II mod, but its tech tree is kinda borked in that it doesn't include Actuators - the tech that allows for the grabbing module.

Is that fixes in your later versions here? I ask because its kinda hard to check that kind of stuff manually... it takes a while to grind enough science for that

Oh wow, I actually didn't notice that... Thanks for pointing it out! I'll queue it in for the next update!

• 2 weeks later...

Impossible Innovations 0.6 has been released!

Additions/Changes/Removals:

+Added a Hydrogen Intake

+Added a Hydrogen Tank

+Added a Hydrogen Converter

+Added a Poofing Part

~Ionized wing now drains ElectricCharge

-Removed Mk1-4 Pod interior

-Removed the annoying (II) tag in part names

More info on each new part has been added in the mini-wiki.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.