[1.2] Impossible Innovations 0.8.7.6

jandcando

awesome with the update

...do you have to add the ModuleManager dll as well?

Nope, it is already there.

- - - Updated - - -

Update 0.8.6 for KSP 1.0.2

Changes:

0.8.6:

Plugin recompiled for KSP 1.0.2

All bottom nodes corrected to an angle of -1 instead of 1

New Ionized Wing varieties (delta, small delta, and boards A-C)

Old Ion Wing moved to legacy folder. It will load in old ships, but is not visible in editor

Ionized Wings now display their current lift and electric consumption

Ionized Wings no longer explode when there is no electricCharge, now they set their lift to less than a normal wing's

Editor scene filters for Impossible Innovations (with a little icon I made)

all stock counterpart textures switched to .dds. Now I can edit them to stand out!

Added a CL-20 booster that looks like Squad's "flea" booster

Hydrogen intake is nerfed slightly

Some .dds textures like the dense solar panel are edited to make them different from stock

Tech tree that is compatible with KSP 1.0 - no longer needs TechManger

Excellent! Back in business.

I have notice however that the Standard Fusion engine has some issues. When sorting by size, it comes in just before the HE Fusion engine, instead of after it, despite the larger size and greater mass. Then the engine itself is oddly-sized, and looks like it's coming into the VAB as a fairing-engine instead of the usual model? The nodes are also weird, as it offsets up and isn't sized properly, even tweakscaled. It works just fine as expected, upon launch, but graphically and positionally is kinda wonky for me. Can anyone else confirm?

jCquWjQ.jpg

8T2x4gd.jpg

Excellent! Back in business.

I have notice however that the Standard Fusion engine has some issues. When sorting by size, it comes in just before the HE Fusion engine, instead of after it, despite the larger size and greater mass. Then the engine itself is oddly-sized, and looks like it's coming into the VAB as a fairing-engine instead of the usual model? The nodes are also weird, as it offsets up and isn't sized properly, even tweakscaled. It works just fine as expected, upon launch, but graphically and positionally is kinda wonky for me. Can anyone else confirm?

http://i.imgur.com/jCquWjQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8T2x4gd.jpg

Ok that's weird...

I'll investigate this issue later on Monday. I'm going on a little trip today, so I'll be gone. This should be relatively easy to fix.

Hey guys I know that the next release probably won't be very soon, but can we get more votes on this poll? I don't feel comfortable using 4 data points to represent the opinions of everyone who uses this mod.

Thank you all,

-jandcando

I voted no - but that's mainly cuz I can do just fine with the current chutes.

But its your mod: If you want 'em in, keep them - if they're too much trouble to update to the new code: ditch 'em - your choice. We're not exactly paying you to make this

• 2 months later...

Sorry about that delay guys! (it was really, really long). I was in Alabama and I had the opportunity to take pictures of the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. I posted pics here.

Here's the changelog for Impossible Innovations 0.8.7.1:

0.8.7.1:

Recomplie code for KSP version 1.0.4

Latest versions of Module Manager and Tweakscale included

The Tweakscale that comes with Impossible Innovations now only has configs for Impossible Innovations.

If you want all the stock configs, go install Tweakscale.

I have some goals for the future, and I'd like feedback from you guys.

1. I could use some screenshots of the new parts in action, all the current screenshots are outdated right now. I might just get them myself when I have the time.

2. I have been considering making a new mod named "Practical Innovations." Same neat toys to mess with, but just a little more reasonable, so no fusion engines and stuff like that. I mean, I could still have fusion engines but with realistic Isp values and whatnot. Also I was thinking about adding a system for using compressed air for low-tier RCS thrusters, but that sounds like something that deserves its own mod in my opinion. The abbreviated version is PI, so that's a plus :)

3. I just realized that I could add RealPlume effects rather easily for these engines. I might consider doing that later.

Edited by jandcando

1. I could use some screenshots of the new parts in action, all the current screenshots are outdated right now. I might just get them myself when I have the time.

3. I just realized that I could add RealPlume effects rather easily for these engines. I might consider doing that later.

Excellent! I've been awaiting this mod, didn't want to bug you too much, but thank you. I'll be testing it out thoroughly tonight, and send you some screenshots too. The RealPlumes would be nice, too, when you find time. I'd also run the lighter PI version if you get to that, just for fun, and the air-RCS. But B9 already has a rather decent air-RCS setup, did you plan on doing it like that or something different? Not sure if you've used B9 much or in 1.04 (still in dev mode, there), but it's working great.

Excellent! I've been awaiting this mod, didn't want to bug you too much, but thank you. I'll be testing it out thoroughly tonight, and send you some screenshots too. The RealPlumes would be nice, too, when you find time. I'd also run the lighter PI version if you get to that, just for fun, and the air-RCS. But B9 already has a rather decent air-RCS setup, did you plan on doing it like that or something different? Not sure if you've used B9 much or in 1.04 (still in dev mode, there), but it's working great.

I don't think I have ever installed B9 before... My idea was to add a compressedAir resource and have that be able to power RCS thrusters or be converted back to intakeAir so that you can use jet engines in space. You would need to bring a lot of air, though.

I don't think I have ever installed B9 before... My idea was to add a compressedAir resource and have that be able to power RCS thrusters or be converted back to intakeAir so that you can use jet engines in space. You would need to bring a lot of air, though.

Yep, B9 has those already, and they work pretty well. It would be nice to have a switch that set them apart from Monoprop (or Tritium) though, out of the box. If you do make something like that, maybe think of a way to use them without having to action-group every single one?

Also, something I may have brought up before, but your small Deuterium tanks don't have the original textures on them, and haven't for quite some time. At least .90. I'd love it if you brought them back! The current gray ones are quite bland.

These are the ones I'm talking about, the big one in the middle:

vP3zTeh.png

Here's a few screens of my spaceplane from last night, probably not what you're looking for in terms of the front page / OP, but the gray main cylinder is how those Deuterium tanks look, in 1.04, for me. And on back to .90, as well. But the ship flies GREAT. Easily my fastest/best spaceplane in 1.04. (you can also see the B9 air-based RCS thrusters on the wingtips and other locations. Tritium reaction wheels, air-based RCS here, as a prototype. a real ship would also need Mono/Tritium RCS for space, obviously)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Yep, B9 has those already, and they work pretty well. It would be nice to have a switch that set them apart from Monoprop (or Tritium) though, out of the box. If you do make something like that, maybe think of a way to use them without having to action-group every single one?

Oh ok if B9 has that base covered, I don't see a reason to add another variant of that. As for this switch you speak of, it sounds pretty simple to code but I'm not quite adept enough at C# to try it myself.

Also, something I may have brought up before, but your small Deuterium tanks don't have the original textures on them, and haven't for quite some time. At least .90. I'd love it if you brought them back! The current gray ones are quite bland.

That is definitely odd, but at this point I'm probably not going to fix it simply because those 2 tanks were the only ones with cool textures and all the other tanks were bland. I mean, I would rather have all the tanks be alike than have 2 of them stand out, even if being alike means they are all bland. I really want to get my own textures for my own tanks. I feel bad for not putting some time aside for doing it myself, though. I just want there to be a common theme for all these parts, and not have some have stock models and some have special models made by different people at different times. I should really give it a go myself, it would give good experience towards 3D modeling.

Edited by jandcando

I really want to get my own textures for my own tanks. I feel bad for not putting some time aside for doing it myself, though. I just want there to be a common theme for all these parts, and not have some have stock models and some have special models made by different people at different times. I should really give it a go myself, it would give good experience towards 3D modeling.

A noble cause, for sure. But you're not alone here. If you need help, either modeling or texturing, just say the word. I run Maya for a living (arch/viz) and Photoshop mastery coincides with that. I just don't know the inner workings of Unity or KSP, or else I'd have retextured those small Deuterium tanks, myself, to look like the larger ones with the blue ambience. Regardless, your pieces are the perfect tool for eliminating engine/fuel issues when troubleshooting or focusing on other aspects of the game, and I love them to pieces! Thanks again. :)

A noble cause, for sure. But you're not alone here. If you need help, either modeling or texturing, just say the word. I run Maya for a living (arch/viz) and Photoshop mastery coincides with that. I just don't know the inner workings of Unity or KSP, or else I'd have retextured those small Deuterium tanks, myself, to look like the larger ones with the blue ambience. Regardless, your pieces are the perfect tool for eliminating engine/fuel issues when troubleshooting or focusing on other aspects of the game, and I love them to pieces! Thanks again. :)

Since we last talked, I have done a lot of learning about 3D modeling and I think I might have something presentable. It is the first time I have felt like I know what I'm doing and I'm pretty confident that I did everything "correctly" this time. Here it is:

Tank2 by jandcando on Sketchfab

Thanks for wanting to help me, but I think that with a little time I can get there on my own. I can help you with the Unity side of things if you want to make your own parts, though. I've got to go to bed for now, so see you tomorrow. (probably not until noon, EST)

Edited by jandcando

• 2 weeks later...

It seems I have skipped over a part's node fixes! The dead weight's bottom node still had an angle of 1 instead of -1. I made a tiny release to fix it, and to keep everything shiny the included Module Manager version has been updated to 2.6.7.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to really get going on making my own part models for Impossible Innovations. So far, I have a made a small deuterium tank and re-made the dead weight. I'm very happy with both results, and I would like to show them to you guys. Don't expect these to be rolled out quickly, though. Also, I'm not going to add any new deuterium tank models into the release until all variants are re-made.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have decided to really get going on making my own part models for Impossible Innovations. So far, I have a made a small deuterium tank and re-made the dead weight. I'm very happy with both results, and I would like to show them to you guys.

The new deut' tank looks amazing! Good work. Original and clean, much nicer than before or even the big tank. :)

• 2 months later...
[quote name='lynwoodm']While I am not complaining about a time frame to make mods compatible with 1.0.5, I was wondering if the OP is working on this mod or is missing in action? At least let us know you are still alive and/or planning on updating this mod.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm still around. In fact I check this post every day for new replies. But I have not had the free time to really get anything meaningful done in a long time. My life is sort of a mess right now, I'm still getting used to my first job at McDonald's (man that takes away so much of my free time!) All I can promise is that I'll update it whenever I feel like it. But thanks for at least inquiring about the matter, it is good for me to know that people actually use this mod. Now it is a bit higher on my priority list.

[quote name='jandcando']Well, I'm still around. In fact I check this post every day for new replies. But I have not had the free time to really get anything meaningful done in a long time. My life is sort of a mess right now, I'm still getting used to my first job at McDonald's (man that takes away so much of my free time!) All I can promise is that I'll update it whenever I feel like it. But thanks for at least inquiring about the matter, it is good for me to know that people actually use this mod. Now it is a bit higher on my priority list.[/QUOTE]

No rush on this, man. Real life comes first. Just didn't hear anything from you on this and I use this mod a lot (and still do, nothing seems to be broken as of yet). Just really checking to see if you were alive, really. You never know what happens to people unless you ask.

• 4 weeks later...

As an alternative to making part models, have you considered integrating with ProceduralParts to have adjustable Deuterium/Tritium tanks? I think that would involve less work than creating models that fit perfectly and associated textures.

16 hours ago, politas said:

As an alternative to making part models, have you considered integrating with ProceduralParts to have adjustable Deuterium/Tritium tanks? I think that would involve less work than creating models that fit perfectly and associated textures.

I am definitely a fan of procedural parts, but I have no idea on how they work or how to properly make textures for them. Also, I really don't want Impossible Innovations to be dependent on too many other mods if you know what I mean. I think I'll just stick to TweakScale for the time being.

I think you could do it with ModuleManager files such that it will add the ability for Procedural Deuterium and Tritium tanks, but only if users have ProceduralParts installed. Then it could be added as a recommends rather than a depends.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.