[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

39yj696.png

This truss system is inspired by Semni's original THSS mod.

I have recreated these parts from scratch but with a few differences. This set is scaled larger than the original. It matches up with the large Rockomax tanks.

This mod won't replace the parts from the original mod if you are using it.

This pack is still in beta. Its stable and usable but i will be adding more parts and tweaking/balancing the numbers.

Download

Curse Forge Page

SpaceDock

Parts Included:

Large Truss

Large Truss with LFO tanks

Medium Truss

Small Truss

Small Truss with mounting plates

Truss Hub

Adapters to small and large round parts (I'll make ones for tiny and huge if there is demand)

End cap with mounting plate

SAS Unit

Docking Port

Hollow Long truss'

Planned Parts:

Solar panels (DONE - Coming next version)

More trusses with tanks (mono, fuel only, battery, life support, hydrogen, argon, xenon)

Cargo bay truss

Greenhouse truss

Crew quarters and passages

Reactor (near future compatible)

Engines

A command pod

Large Truss set with large cargo bay and HUGE tanks.

Pictures:

Changelog:

0.1 - basic parts released

0.2 - added sideways hub

0.3 - added SAS unit, docking port, hollow long truss

0.3.1 - 1.0 support

0.3.2 - Updated Textures on tank and SAS, updated to support 1.1.x, Added support for Filter Extensions

0.3.3 - 1.1.x Support

License: CC BY-NC-SA

Edited by SpeedyB

Updated!

0.3 includes:

Docking Port, can now build proper hex truss space stations!

SAS module

A hollow long truss, more of these to come (including widened ones for 2.5m parts)

Not sure what I'll be making next yet, anyone have any preference?

Hi ! I'm constantly mucking around with trying to build a large-bulk cargo SSTO and i am more-less on lookout for structural parts. Your trusses, albeit targeted at stationary structures, do provide some good length vs weight, not forgetting the visual factor of having triangular profile elements to make stuff cooler.

Now... that being said, i do have a small nag : the trusses are not properly oriented when placed in symmetry.

How to reproduce in SPH :

1. place pod and a tank (fuel or structural, does not matter)

2. turn on 2x symmetry

3. place BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point , to have two of them on either side

4. place any of the hex trusses on it's end at radial attachment part

5. watch how the orange lines are oriented wrong as front/back or up/down, depends on part's orientation prior to placement, instead of front/front, down/down or up/up

Same applies if i try to place them on axially oriented symmetry (parts parallel to cockpit front/back axis), they tend to orient same on both sides (two left or two right instead one left and one right).

Pics

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I'm using KSP 0.24. I've had symmetry problems ever since 0.22 or 0.20, can't remember exactly. I just know it started with more complicated designs.

@ SpeedyB : Thanks for considering. But at least there's awareness of this problem so it could be taken into account when designing axially asymmetrical parts.

@ wasmic : Umm this could simply be made by moving an attachment point inside trusses, but this does have a serious (almost game-breaking) impact - whatever is attached to it will have to go inside collider mesh (thing that game need so it knows how part interacts with other parts, trying not to overexplain it). Since single part cannot have multiple colliders or a collider that is hollow (think of it like a potato with big holes in it, this "potato" needs to be smooth), trusses need to have all required/desiredf parts pre-built.

@ SpeedyB : Thanks for considering. But at least there's awareness of this problem so it could be taken into account when designing axially asymmetrical parts.

@ wasmic : Umm this could simply be made by moving an attachment point inside trusses, but this does have a serious (almost game-breaking) impact - whatever is attached to it will have to go inside collider mesh (thing that game need so it knows how part interacts with other parts, trying not to overexplain it). Since single part cannot have multiple colliders or a collider that is hollow (think of it like a potato with big holes in it, this "potato" needs to be smooth), trusses need to have all required/desiredf parts pre-built.

Oh, not that way. It would simply be a truss with a tube model that we can pretend the kerbals move around inside, like the crew tunnels in the original THSS.

Oh, not that way. It would simply be a truss with a tube model that we can pretend the kerbals move around inside, like the crew tunnels in the original THSS.

I apologise, i meant for engines inside trusses. I too would like to have a choice of fitting a LV-N rocket engine or jet engine inside. For EVAs, that is another matter, though not much different - there would also be needed colliders arranged in hollow structures. I don't know much about "internal" EVA structures though.

Edited by fatcargo
typos

Fitting something INSIDE the trusses is not outside the realm of possibilities. Look at the Constellation Mod by Starwaster. He has giant round trusses that fit together and an adapter plate that allows for stackable components inside the trusses.

Now, the only foreseeable problem I can think of off the top of my head is the collider meshes. A thrust transform provides no thrust it a collider mesh is obstructing it. So you'd have to have a truss without a bottom collider mesh and I can see that getting a little messy. But maybe something worth playing with.

Another possibility would just be to make an engine model with the hex truss built around it as a single model.

Fitting something INSIDE the trusses is not outside the realm of possibilities. Look at the Constellation Mod by Starwaster. He has giant round trusses that fit together and an adapter plate that allows for stackable components inside the trusses.

Now, the only foreseeable problem I can think of off the top of my head is the collider meshes. A thrust transform provides no thrust it a collider mesh is obstructing it. So you'd have to have a truss without a bottom collider mesh and I can see that getting a little messy. But maybe something worth playing with.

Another possibility would just be to make an engine model with the hex truss built around it as a single model.

And there's an idea : i don't know much about parts inside editor from progammers perspective, but i'll post anyway. Is there a way to place MULTIPLE parts at the same time ? Each would have it's own collider mesh, when selecting it in parts list, right before placing it, a "proxy" model would be shown for both visual feedback and to prevent part clipping.

OR, when placing a thrust-capable part inside "hollow" truss, it's vector is "pushed" just outside collider mesh, but not by much. This offset should be controlled by position of attachment inside collider mesh and should also be calculated while placing a part.

Duhhh... The whole thing sounds so messy. But i've thrown it in here, maybe something comes out of it.

Edited by fatcargo
more

And there's an idea : i don't know much about parts inside editor from progammers perspective, but i'll post anyway. Is there a way to place MULTIPLE parts at the same time ? Each would have it's own collider mesh, when selecting it in parts list, right before placing it, a "proxy" model would be shown for both visual feedback and to prevent part clipping.

OR, when placing a thrust-capable part inside "hollow" truss, it's vector is "pushed" just outside collider mesh, but not by much. This offset should be controlled by position of attachment inside collider mesh and should also be calculated while placing a part.

Duhhh... The whole thing sounds so messy. But i've thrown it in here, maybe something comes out of it.

Hmmm, I don't think what you're suggesting is possible, but I think I understand your idea.

Are you suggesting something like.... the automatic fairings that deploy when something is coupled to an Engine? So, you could make an engine, that has TriHex "fairings" when the engine is coupled? Is that what you're suggesting?

Hmmm, I don't think what you're suggesting is possible, but I think I understand your idea.

Are you suggesting something like.... the automatic fairings that deploy when something is coupled to an Engine? So, you could make an engine, that has TriHex "fairings" when the engine is coupled? Is that what you're suggesting?

IF this fairing-like part can have other parts and struts attached to it, then this may be the way to go. But that also means completely replacing a fairing that is already defined for engine's part.cfg. This ofcourse applies to engines outside trihex truss pack.

Edited by fatcargo
specificity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.