[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

Too big? Try THST, they are smaller :)
Use Tweakscale, you can resize them in the VAB. Works very well.

THST ? They dont look that nice. And with Tweakscale you can only change the overall size. For me they are not too long but too thick/wide. But i can live with it. :) Nothing that makes me not use them.

With crew tunnels, i meant simple hextrusses with a (non-hollow) cylinder inside. No fancy internal EVA needed. There were crew tunnels in the original THSS, and there was also three different engines (a nuke, an LFO and an ion engine) that had THSS-shaped autofairings. I'm not saying that you should copy those, but hexstrut-shaped engines would be nice.

Mod appears to be have problem with the Ultra Hub piece.

TdTkjmk.jpg

In each image, the red arrow represents my cursor.

# 1. I am moving Ultra Hub into place. Note that connection points (green balls) are displayed

#2. The Ultra Hub has snapped into place.

#3. Mouse button released. Note that the Ultra Hub is "ghosting", as if not attached.

#4. Because it's not. I grab the pod and move it. The Ultra Hub does not move with it.

Note that I'm attempting to attach a triangular point to a triangular point on the Hub. If I rotate the Hub and connect s Hub's round point to a triangular point, it works correctly.

End Cap piece will not go on end of Truss. Same for SAS. If I attempt to attach to a triangular connect point, it fails. I can attach it to a round connect point

Wvao1nP.jpg

The part would not attach to the end of the fuel truss. (green circle)

Part placement is EXTREMELY finicky....very frustrating.

Edited by Apollo13

Mod appears to be have problem with the Ultra Hub piece.

http://i.imgur.com/TdTkjmk.jpg

In each image, the red arrow represents my cursor.

# 1. I am moving Ultra Hub into place. Note that connection points (green balls) are displayed

#2. The Ultra Hub has snapped into place.

#3. Mouse button released. Note that the Ultra Hub is "ghosting", as if not attached.

#4. Because it's not. I grab the pod and move it. The Ultra Hub does not move with it.

Note that I'm attempting to attach a triangular point to a triangular point on the Hub. If I rotate the Hub and connect s Hub's round point to a triangular point, it works correctly.

End Cap piece will not go on end of Truss. Same for SAS. If I attempt to attach to a triangular connect point, it fails. I can attach it to a round connect point

Bottom line: extremely difficult to place parts. Time to delete this mod and try THST

Same issue here, except it is effecting many of the parts in the mod. Line them up, they snap into place, but they don't stay connected. Something is completely FUBAR with the current version.

At least 90% of the time, the adapter parts will not connect with normal parts. They don't even pretend to snap on, they dance around at odd angles to the connection point. Most of the Hex segments attach to normal parts with out issue, but occasionally refuse to snap on, or remain connected, to each other. I don't know if it's a 24.2 issue, or if some mistake by the author corrupted his connection nodes, but it's a mess.

Did a little more testing. The adapter pieces all want to connect to normal parts at a 90 degree angle to the surface, like a coin standing on edge. If I rotate them to the proper flat on orientation, then they "dance around" and refuse to connect.

Edited by Fiontar

Same issue here, except it is effecting many of the parts in the mod. Line them up, they snap into place, but they don't stay connected. Something is completely FUBAR with the current version.

At least 90% of the time, the adapter parts will not connect with normal parts. They don't even pretend to snap on, they dance around at odd angles to the connection point. Most of the Hex segments attach to normal parts with out issue, but occasionally refuse to snap on, or remain connected, to each other. I don't know if it's a 24.2 issue, or if some mistake by the author corrupted his connection nodes, but it's a mess.

Did a little more testing. The adapter pieces all want to connect to normal parts at a 90 degree angle to the surface, like a coin standing on edge. If I rotate them to the proper flat on orientation, then they "dance around" and refuse to connect.

You described the problem perfectly. Glad to see I'm not the only person.

I think part of what you're describing is the stock finickiness with stack nodes and their order in the part file....

And the other part sounds like misconfigured attach nodes....

The problem with the Hub parts is a problem with the game. The stock station hub has the same problem. I included a sideways hub that you can rotate to get around the problem.

Crew tunnels and engines are all planned. I might make a smaller size truss set as well if there is demand for it once the main set is more finished.

The problem with the Hub parts is a problem with the game. The stock station hub has the same problem.

What is the "stock station hub"? Stock has trusses, which do not exhibit the problems I discuss in my post. Are you referring to the Rockomax Hubmax?

As bad as the problem is in the VAB, I would hate to attempt to dock with a station and be unable to attach these trusses in orbit.

EDIT: I sorta found away around your problem. Do not attempt to try to attach trusses by facing the destination node directly. Rather, look at the destination at an oblique angle. Oh, I can't wait to try docking in space...

EDIT: Oh wait! Another discovery. The orange pipes must be lined-up between adjoining trusses.

Edited by Apollo13

What is the "stock station hub"? Stock has trusses, which do not exhibit the problems I discuss in my post. Are you referring to the Rockomax Hubmax?

As bad as the problem is in the VAB, I would hate to attempt to dock with a station and be unable to attach these trusses in orbit.

If I read your post correctly, you will not address the problem? As I type this, I'm trying to attach a truss end-cap in the VAB and failing miserably.

EDIT: I sorta found away around your problem. Do not attempt to try to attach trusses by facing the destination node directly. Rather, look at the destination at an oblique angle. Oh, I can't wait to try docking in space...

Yes, he's talking about the Hubmax and it does indeed have issues in how it connects to another Hubmax. Place one Hubmax then grab another Hubmax out of inventory and try to place it. You can connect the 2nd one to the bottom of the first one by the 2nd one's top node, but if you try using other nodes to connect to/from you'll run into problems. It will snap as you described but not actually connect. That's a stock problem when editing the craft in the VAB/SPH.

It does not affect docking at all.

@Starwaster: see my second edit to my post. I think I discovered "The Secret".

And, I see the problem with the Hubmax you are discussing. Tried it just now. Then, again, I'd never attach two Hubmaxes (Hubmaxi?) in that configuration. I'd have a truss between them (thanks to TweakScale, I can increase the diameter of the stock octo-truss).

Edited by Apollo13

The problem comes from the hubs not being able to attach to things with their side nodes. So if you want to connect a hub on the end of a horizontal truss you have to turn it sideways, which is why the sideways hub is included. You just turn it back right side up and rotate it so that the top or bottom node is lined up with the truss you want to connect to.

The problem comes from the hubs not being able to attach to things with their side nodes.
The issue is not just with the hub; all the parts exhibit the problem during construction.

In an unrelated problem:

The truss docking ports may have a difficult time determining which side is a 0-degree position.

In this example, I first orbited the vehicle on the left (#1). I then brought in another vehicle (#2) to dock with it. To ensure that I was aligned with a 0-degree roll/position, I told MechJeb's Docking Auto-pilot to force a 0-degree roll. I also verified that with NavyFish's DPAI mod (my usual docking tool); it indicated 0-degree roll as well.

As you can see from the result, the orange pipes are not aligned between the two vehicles. Even the sides are not aligned. When constructing both vehicles, I ensured the orange pipes of the hex Docking Port were in line with the pipes of the short truss.

QE76Ik3.jpg

After the above test, I docked again and removed the "Force 0-degree roll"; I rolled the vehicle manually to align the orange pipes. That worked as it should.

Edited by Apollo13

I think this mod has so much potential. It will be my Go-To truss system for all my stations. In fact, i'm replacing a Research & Refueling Station currently orbiting Mun and another around Minmus; the new stations will be built with the Hex Truss system. It just looks way cooler, especially the docking Port and SAS. And that's where I'd like to make a suggestion for additional parts.

Currently, the Docking Port is its own part. When two trusses are docked together, the trusses present a very clean line versus the "break" in visuals caused by the stock docking ports attached to stock trusses.

I suggest that each of the Hex Trusses (short, medium, large) be equipped with a built-in Docking Port on one end. Call them "Short Docking Port", "Medium Docking Port", and "Long Docking Port", if you will. Don't simply just add a current Hex DP to the trusses; rather add the DP flanges meshes to one end of each truss and make that end act/react as a docking port. When docked to another Hex Truss, it will present even cleaner lines.

Another way to think of it: the current Hex Docking Port is already a very,very short-bodied Hex Truss with a docking port at the end. Just lengthen that body to the three sizes I mentioned.

Extending the above idea one step further. Do not include the DP flanges on the one end of the truss. Rather, it will simply look like every other truss end. If you wish to provide a visual clue that "this end is a docking port", make that end a different color.

Just my two cents on one of the few mods I'm excited about. One final point: thanks for the built-in SAS.

Edited by Apollo13

If you use TweakScale, I've created a file for Hex Trusses. Copy the file to your /GameData/TweakScale directory. I tested this on all parts, including Docking Port, SAS, and Fuel Truss. Fuel amount is scaled.

Hex Trusses TweakScale

@SpeedyB: feel free to include this in your distro file.

Edited by Apollo13

If you use TweakScale, I've created a file for Hex Trusses. Copy the file to your /GameData/TweakScale directory. I tested this on all parts, including Docking Port, SAS, and Fuel Truss. Fuel amount is scaled.

Hex Trusses TweakScale

@SpeedyB: feel free to include this in your distro file.

Nice, thanks for sharing! :)

Suggestion: 5-point hub: top, bottom, three side connect points. Similar to this from Ginger Corp.

7lfenTi.jpg

Ginger Corp also has an 8-point hub: top, bottom, six side connect points. But that may be a bit much.

Edited by Apollo13

I'll make a 5 point. It would be nice for triangular stations and would match the trusses well. I'll think about the docking trusses, I had a hard enough time getting the one docking port to work properly.

A lot of this will have to wait a bit though, I'm currently working on some parts for Karbonite. The angle problems are pretty much entirely caused by the game, it wasn't really designed with asymmetrical triangular parts in mind.

I'll make a 5 point. It would be nice for triangular stations and would match the trusses well.
Looking forward to this.
I'll think about the docking trusses, I had a hard enough time getting the one docking port to work properly.
And, it works very well, even with NavyFish's DPAI and MJ's Docking Auto-pilot.
A lot of this will have to wait a bit though, I'm currently working on some parts for Karbonite.
I'm enjoying the Karbonite mod. The community has really come together on that one.
The angle problems are pretty much entirely caused by the game, it wasn't really designed with asymmetrical triangular parts in mind.
As I mentioned, I figured out how to get around the angle problem in the VAB. By viewing the parts from a very low angle when placing, they snap right into place. In fact, thanks to solving this problem in Hex Truss placement, I resolved another issue I've had with placing stock docking ports for over a year-and-half. That is, when placing a docking port onto command modules and probes, it wouldn't snap into place. I had to eyeball it to the center; this often took about 30 seconds. Now, by viewing the parts at the very low angle and placing the docking port, it snaps right in. Edited by Apollo13

@SpeedyB, I offer you a challenge.

The current stock Hitchhiker part is round. "Round" is not in keeping with the "Hex" theme. Therefore, create a six-sided Living Quarters for Kerbals in extended orbit in stations. Allow it to hold six Kerbals, not stock's four.

Bonus points: provide an IVA view within the Hex Living Quarters.

Just a thought for the long-term development of this great mod.

Or, maybe I need to update my copy of Blender and get busy...

Edited by Apollo13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.