[1.1.x] Speedy's Hex Truss System

SpeedyB

am i correct in assuming that this will work in 1.0.2 ? if so, can i please ask to fix kerbal stuff refrence too? thanks

edit: also, can i ask for a feature? if you ever played with box sat, then you know that the parts have this cap part that will sit on the edge of the cube and make the box complete, how about instead of having two different truss one being profile and one having walls, you just have the truss and two different type of walls one for the bigger face and one for the in between small faces and one for top and bottom faces? this way, you may reduce the part count in the mod but gives players more flexibility to add the caps to the faces where and when they want.

Edited by Jiraiyah

great to see this mod in 1.0

More trusses with tanks (mono, fuel only, battery, life support, hydrogen, argon, xenon)

how about interstellar fuel switch, take the tank-element and color it in different ways, and make it switchable.

pro: just one part in the part-list

contra: not weld-able (if ubiozurs partwelding mod gets a 1.0 update).

Technically it never left. I've kept it up to date.

The new parts might take a little longer than I thought, I just got a new job during the week. I'll be a little swamped until I can quit my weekend job.

I will try to get some more parts done as soon as possible though.

It did? Last I saw, it was stuck back in 0.24 or 0.25. You mean to tell me I've unnecessarily missed out on this mod since then? D:

Either way, I'm really pleased to download the hex struts again - I've always loved using them for base-building. ^_^

For the last few versions the 0.25 version still worked fine. The part configs are pretty basic so nothing really broke it until 1.0 changed things.

P.S. For the next version I plan to add tank switching to cut down the part count.

Also, so I was just playing around with the parts of this pack and noticed something, if I was to connect the "Hollow" Truss to a normal truss or even another object by node, it still stays greyed out and I can't attach anything to it until I move my mouse around to get it "Green".

The hollow truss has no cap. The next version will have a couple cargo bay trusses that you can use for that.

The node problem is a stock issue. The end node and the node inside the truss are close together so it can be a little tricky to get the right one. There's nothing I can do about that little problem.

Hey Speedy, glad to see these parts updated for 1.0. One of the new features is the ability to filter by cross-section, and Filter Extensions allows us to provide icons and display names for custom cross-sections. I see you've set up your hex trusses to be sorted under size 2, but I'm happy to whip up a config and icon to sort them under a custom "hextruss" cross-section if you're interested.

(EDIT: Also, the docking port and Ultra Hub are listed in the "surface-attach" category when they aren't surface-attachable, and the small adapter should have size1 in its bulkheadProfiles.)

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I see you've set up your hex trusses to be sorted under size 2, but I'm happy to whip up a config and icon to sort them under a custom "hextruss" cross-section if you're interested.

(EDIT: Also, the docking port and Ultra Hub are listed in the "surface-attach" category when they aren't surface-attachable, and the small adapter should have size1 in its bulkheadProfiles.)

That would be fantastic. I haven't really figured out the new drag system yet.

I've always liked the THSS mod, love that you've resurrected it.

Thanks!

PS. How do you see these parts being used? stations, long range craft, or what? Just don't want to send you suggestions if I'm using them wrong ;)

The parts are generally geared towards stations. I have plans for a couple engine modules for interplanetary and utility ships. There really isn't any wrong way to use them though. Seeing bizarre and unconventional uses is just as cool if not cooler than seeing them used normally.

That would be fantastic. I haven't really figured out the new drag system yet.

It's not for the drag profile (that's handled by crunching on the model itself and doing some approximations), but for sorting in the VAB.

Here's the config I used -- it moves them to the "hextruss" bulkhead profile only when Filter Extension is installed, so parts don't get moved into a non-stock category unless the system to support it is there. (I'd hold off on releasing this until my icons are in the main Filter Extension branch.)

@PART[HexTrussSml,HexTrussSAS,HexTrussMed,HexTrussLongTank,HexTrussLongWater,HexTrussLongHollowWide,HexTrussLongHollow,HexTrussLong,HexTrussEndCap,HexTrussSmlWalled]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
@bulkheadProfiles ^= :size2:hextruss
}

@PART[HexTrussDockingPort]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
@bulkheadProfiles = hextruss
}

@PART[HexTrussHub01]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
@bulkheadProfiles = size2,hextruss
}

@PART[HexTrussAdapterLarge]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
@bulkheadProfiles = size2,srf,hextruss
}

@PART[HexTrussAdapterSmall]:NEEDS[FilterExtensions]
{
@bulkheadProfiles = size1,srf,hextruss
}

Edited by Kerbas_ad_astra

I'm in the process of moving so my computer is not set up. I also just got a new job. It will be a couple weeks until the move is done and I get to leave my old weekend job. After that I'll have weekends off so there should be time to work on it.

Everything is on hold at the moment. I can't really work on anything until I'm back down to working only one job. I still have to get my main computer set up in the new house so it will be a while until I can get a new version out.

• 2 weeks later...
Just checking to find out if you had gotten to work on this at all.

Just over a week ago:

Everything is on hold at the moment. I can't really work on anything until I'm back down to working only one job. I still have to get my main computer set up in the new house so it will be a while until I can get a new version out.

Patience! Many modders have lives!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.