The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Patcher finally worked. Does anybody know if the patcher updates KSP to the 64 bit version, or will I need to do a separate download to get it?

I updated my own copy through the patcher. Sadly, it seems it still only provides the old 32-bit .exe, not the new 64-bit one.

Obviously you can't exactly run the engine without the air intake, but have you guys tried the "Run Test" that you get from right clicking?

I didn't know there was one. I just activated through staging.

That C7 contract was the first I saw with perfectly sensible and ordinary contract flavor text: something along the lines of "after achieving combustion, we want to dispel moronic rumors that our system won't amount to anything."

I just recorded about an hour's worth of video, and I have to say, wow. This was well worth the wait! In good keeping with Kerbin tradition, my first contract launch was doomed to fail thanks to a staging error that deployed the chutes at the same time as my SRB. Miraculously, Jebediah Kerman somehow survived and gained positive reputation (despite destroying the bulk of his rocket).

So far, the only real wrinkle I have found is that "activate while landed" can also apparently mean "activate at launchpad". That isn't really a complaint, though; I suppose anybody who really wants the challenge can simply avoid staging the parts in question at launch. Otherwise, I am having fun so far; I have already managed to have my space program teetering on the brink of insolvency, which I feel is in good keeping with finding parts on the side of the road.

All-righty! It's time to reflect on my experiences after my first couple of rounds with the new and improved (oops, spoiler!) career mode.

First - the GREAT:

Vastly improved depth! The simple addition of adding costs and income makes this game so much deeper. Now, it's not longer sufficient for me to try different configurations to reach a new science goal. Now I have to be aware of how expensive a mission is going to be. I spend no small amount of time making sure that the craft I build is able to complete the contract(s) it is designed for without costing more than the contract will yield! Since recovery is a bigger deal, reusable craft like space-planes are extremely profitable once you get enough science and figure out how to make a reliable one.

Flexible play styles! This game oozes flexible play styles. I could be a contract monkey - grinding at the grind-stone and still achieve science and riches along the way. I can spend some hard-earned money on purely scientific missions, with no contract attached, but doing so will drain the coffers over time.

Wide range of challenge levels! Contracts come in a great variety of challenge levels. Some of them seem deceptively simple, but prove to be quite difficult, but not in a frustrating way. I am clearly motivated to look at the contract a couple times and go, "What do I need to build to accomplish that?!" Things such as deploy a parachute between 12km and 14km at a speed of at least 400m/s can be really tough, but fun to try to achieve. Also, I can really see the value of a reusable space-plane now as a test platform for many of these in-atmosphere tests.

The GOOD:

Contract Interface (Mission Control): Great job putting this interface together so we can peruse and accept new contracts. The other parts of the contract interface could use just a bit of help, though. In various screens, the contract info is located in different places. Additional UI iterations should focus on normalizing where all the information is found. For instance, contract stuff is in the lower right in the VAB, but in the upper right in Launch Pad and in flight.

Currency interface: Gives me a very quick heads up on how I'm doing over-all. But this interface also wanders around the screen.

That said, the icons and information is consistent, so I can glance around and find what I need quickly.

Can be IMPROVED (but isn't BAD):

Mission Summaries! When I complete a mission and receive a bunch of Science, I would like to be informed of all science received over the flight. This includes science transmitted and earned through contracts.

Funds Summaries! Again, when I complete a mission and receive a bunch of Funds, I would like to be informed, line by line, how much Funds I received from all sources - including contracts, in addition to vehicle recovery. Also, I want to be informed of the launch cost of the vehicle, if available.

The BAD:

I can't really think of anything, can you?

This really is the update worth waiting for. I have way more reasons and options on how and why to launch a particular mission with all new problems to solve. Excellent stuff Squad, I give this update 4.5/5 stars - it would have earned 5, if the new UI pieces had gone through another iteration or two for over-all location for ease of use, and if summaries gave me a bit more information. Even so, I fully expect to put in a couple hundred more hours into playing this update alone, and will enjoy every last minute of it.

(Now to plan the return of Let's Play KSP - Career Mode! on my YT Channel)

I just recorded about an hour's worth of video, and I have to say, wow. This was well worth the wait! In good keeping with Kerbin tradition, my first contract launch was doomed to fail thanks to a staging error that deployed the chutes at the same time as my SRB. Miraculously, Jebediah Kerman somehow survived and gained positive reputation (despite destroying the bulk of his rocket).

So far, the only real wrinkle I have found is that "activate while landed" can also apparently mean "activate at launchpad". That isn't really a complaint, though; I suppose anybody who really wants the challenge can simply avoid staging the parts in question at launch. Otherwise, I am having fun so far; I have already managed to have my space program teetering on the brink of insolvency, which I feel is in good keeping with finding parts on the side of the road.

Did you notice that many of those activate while landed missions only give you like 200 Funds when finished?

Ok here's my issue. I've only een playing about 2 weeks and just last night was able to land on the mun and return to Kerbin. Excited doesn't begin to cover it! Now I am ready to go further but this expansion came out. I like the idea of contracts but I can't really afford mine! My first contract is to plant a flag on the mun. I only start with 10000 and that isn't enough for me to build a mun lander. I did a few test contracts but really only got to about 35000. Now I am stuck. I was excited to get on today and head out to minimus or somewhere and now I feel like the game has been taken from me. I wish I had the lower level contracts to build some cash up. I am pretty much at a lost and don't really know what to do know. I was really enjoying this game but now I am stuck. Is there a way to build cash that I'm not aware of? please help!!

I agree, loving the new career mode. I haven't hit any money troubles but I haven't unlocked any really expensive. Plus I try to piggy back a few contracts at once, and pick some really high paying ones. I think the contract system is pushing me, too. I only just landed on the min and got a contract to explore Ike.

Ok here's my issue. I've only een playing about 2 weeks and just last night was able to land on the mun and return to Kerbin. Excited doesn't begin to cover it! Now I am ready to go further but this expansion came out. I like the idea of contracts but I can't really afford mine! My first contract is to plant a flag on the mun. I only start with 10000 and that isn't enough for me to build a mun lander. I did a few test contracts but really only got to about 35000. Now I am stuck. I was excited to get on today and head out to minimus or somewhere and now I feel like the game has been taken from me. I wish I had the lower level contracts to build some cash up. I am pretty much at a lost and don't really know what to do know. I was really enjoying this game but now I am stuck. Is there a way to build cash that I'm not aware of? please help!!

You have 3 options:

1) Do multiple contracts in a launch, for several launches, until you have the cash to do what you want. It helps if you are super efficient, of course.

2) Hack in some cash into your persistence file. I don't know exactly where it is but if you open the file and search for whatever your current money number is, you should be able to find it. Add $100k or so as a nest egg to help yourself along.

3) Hack your save file out of career mode into science mode. I also don't know how to do this, but again it shouldn't be too hard. Science mode is essentially what you played yesterday. Science, no money.

And if you fiddle with our persistence file, back it up first!

Did you notice that many of those activate while landed missions only give you like 200 Funds when finished?

In hindsight, yes; I was just excited to be doing contracts and jumped the gun a bit. I think I'm beginning to get the hang of how to stack contracts to get more bang for my buck, however. The #KSPHypeTrain had me all ready to go, I suppose.

5thHorseman offered some excellent options to start with, but I think it is also worth pointing out that there are things that you can do to make your money stretch a bit further as well. In particular, how you get out of the atmosphere makes a huge difference on your delta-V budget in orbit; I wouldn't bring this up otherwise, but you said you've been playing for a couple of weeks, and it took me months to start doing my gravity turns properly. The advice I usually give to my friends who are just starting is not to overbuild their rockets and to learn how to efficiently maneuver.

My understanding is that the new contract system will always provide an out if you're having trouble maintaining funding. I'm not sure exactly what happens if you go into the red (I'm sure Danny2462 came pretty close, though), but it seems like there is the option of grinding funds or science until you get to the point where you can approach the landing the way you'd normally do it. Nonetheless, stacking contracts and doing multiple tests in one mission seems to be a good strategy at this point.

can anyone explain what is proper stage to finish the contract? It seems that for later solid propeller contract, i need to quit the mission once all four requirement are checked? otherwise, once landed, all four are then unchecked.

Cannot understand the complete condition and seems parachute contract cannot play together with the radial decoupler one since they can not be all checked at the same time.

If I understand correctly how it works you should be able to ignore those contracts and get easier ones so that you can grind the money you need from those.

This is just what I understood from what was said during squad streams or read on here, so I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

@Uboats With the solid rocket contracts you'll need to fire the rocket once all four requirements are met, not before. Then it will go completely green and no longer show the requirements. That is how you know it's done. Same with the liquid really, but you at least can mess with your staging and refire them if you lit them too early.

OK i'm willing to try to hack my funds but I don't see that anywhere in my persistance file. I really wish contracts were just for science. My 2 friends are both out of money now as well. I really think without the option to career mode without the money option, this game could lose some players. Make the money option be a "hard" mode for example. Really disappointed over here. :(

@Uboats With the solid rocket contracts you'll need to fire the rocket once all four requirements are met, not before. Then it will go completely green and no longer show the requirements. That is how you know it's done. Same with the liquid really, but you at least can mess with your staging and refire them if you lit them too early.

Hi lunniy,

Same for decoupler that I need to activate it when all requirement are checked then the contract is solid finished? Otherwise those checked requirement could be unchecked?

OK i'm willing to try to hack my funds but I don't see that anywhere in my persistance file. I really wish contracts were just for science. My 2 friends are both out of money now as well. I really think without the option to career mode without the money option, this game could lose some players. Make the money option be a "hard" mode for example. Really disappointed over here. :(

I opened my persistence file and searched for the word "fund". Took me right to it.

And there is a mode without funds. It's called Science Mode and it's the option between Career and Sandbox.

Huh. Squad said it'd be very hard to run out of money. Either their testers are too good at playing the game or... well, you and your two friends aren't doing it right.

Take a contract that offers prepayment and use that prepayment to fund another, cheaper mission. Bit by bit you should be able to creep back into black.

I would just like to thank SQUAD in particular the guys that worked flat out yesterday trying to please the hype-train, you've succeeded and I will be getting my first contracts fix this evening! Watching the speed at which we were going in that train and the terror we were causing servers all over with 502's I think they HAD no choice but give us the update :-)

Thankyou thankyou thankyou :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.