The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

OK i'm willing to try to hack my funds but I don't see that anywhere in my persistance file. I really wish contracts were just for science. My 2 friends are both out of money now as well. I really think without the option to career mode without the money option, this game could lose some players. Make the money option be a "hard" mode for example. Really disappointed over here. :(

You are aware there's still sandbox mode, and a mode without funds at all, called Science, right?

How are you running out of funds? Revert to launchpad/assembly for your 'simulator flights' as necessary.

Hello fellow kerbal enthusiasts.. so did anyone else get far into the "classic" (now Science Mode) and now their save file turned into a Career mode? Because mine did and now I only have 10,000 Funds and all my contracts are in a sense "High Level " contracts to where I would need to create a ship that is more than 10,000 Funds? Is anyone following this? does anyone have the same problem?

---

can anyone explain what is proper stage to finish the contract? It seems that for later solid propeller contract, i need to quit the mission once all four requirement are checked? otherwise, once landed, all four are then unchecked.

Cannot understand the complete condition and seems parachute contract cannot play together with the radial decoupler one since they can not be all checked at the same time.

All four checks must be GREEN before activating the part you are "testing" by using the staging button (SPACE by default)

---

what WanderingKid said. if you arent completing your missions then you shouldnt be landing your vessel and recovering it. you should either just revert to VAB or to launch, cuz that is a lot of wasted money..

imagine if NASA just sent the first astronauts into space without doing test flights and simulations.. there wouldnt be a NASA anymore with the wasted money and dead astronauts. TEST TEST TEST AND REVERT YOUR FLIGHTS AS NEEDED UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT!

Edited by Claw
merged multiple posts

~~snip~~

Hiya distor89,

Try to avoid rapidly posting to the same thread and combine your responses when possible.

Also, if you are having problems with your save game during the upgrade to 0.24, you will probably get a better response posting to the forum linked below:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/forums/58-Support-Bugs

Welcome to the fourms! :D

~Claw

Well, I have to say that upgrading to a 18G contract with my cell service provider was worth it. On sporadic 4G wireless hotspot it's only taken an hour to download. Now I just need a few hours to spare so I can actually press the LAUNCH KSP button.

I have to say I'm kind of disappointed by all the trouble the Squad server is having with the update. I'm glad I have Steam. How can you guys release an update without users being able to install it? That's pretty lowbrow.

Daayumm, I also got Dishonored GOTY for 10 bucks, woot!

Love it. Career mode works really well.

Once you get past the very beginning, there always seem to be many different contracts to pick from. You aren't herded down a set path, but rather have many options on which way you go.

Completing several contracts gives you plenty of funds, so you are able to do missions on your own as well.

I've found myself optimizing my ships to a much higher degree than before 0.24. There is now a real incentive to not waste fuel or resources. There is also an incentive to push your current technology farther. I went after a stranded Kerbal as soon as that mission popped up- and I barely had the ability to reach orbit! Managed to recover the guy, with no solar panels, no RCS..

Awesome update!

At the moment I like eveything they did to the game ....

there are only 3 things that I would love to see included now, that most basic things have been included:

1. Increase of the area where separated stages "stay alive" (or maybe inclusion of mechanisms to automatically check if they would have enough open chutes to land and then automatically land them)

2. More Biomes outside of the Kerbin system

3. Cities and other structurs on Kerbin (even if initially they may just projections, like the terrain scatter)

SAS changes! Haven't seen mentioned thus far (other than obviously implied in the first page changelog).

The Advanced SAS module now has 100kg mass, down from 500kg, the regular stabiliser now masses at 120kg, down from 300kg. Further the regular one has 8 "units" of twisty-spinnyness and the advanced has 15 (think they were both 15 before with the large 2.5m variant being at 20?)

I guess one could say that we've gone from not needing to use the advanced variant in the last couple of releases to not needing to use the regular one. But still options of fine tuning sas-authority is good.

Loving it, the only problem is that with SPH and VAB (SPH mostly, though), your camera revolves around a SINGLE point - the centre. Anyone who has ever tried building something big, or long, can attest to how annoying it is to constantly manipulate the vehicle.

I like it, though I need to get used to flying smaller ships. Using a dozen or so LFB KR-1x2 as disposable boosters... not very efficient. XD

Can't wait till I get space-plane parts in career mode. I suck at flying planes in kerbal but it is fun.

Loving it, the only problem is that with SPH and VAB (SPH mostly, though), your camera revolves around a SINGLE point -

In SPH, it's possible to move the camera: left-click-and-drag.

It's really hard to make myself watch for funds while in VAB. It's like "let's put this here and that there, nice rocket, time to launch! And now I'm on my gravity turn and BTW what about my funds left? Oh man..."

I'm going to say, what we have now is completely different from 0.23.5. Don't know what exactly they've done but, well, it was something really big.

Further the regular one has 8 "units" of twisty-spinnyness and the advanced has 15 (think they were both 15 before with the large 2.5m variant being at 20?)

Yea, I noticed that.

Back in 23.5 I build a fancy rocket capable of Mun landing.....

It doesn't work any more :( I can't keep it straight, and if I add stuff to control it well enough - I run out of fuel :/

Had to build a new rocket.... bit further in a research tree (original one was done with just the initial techs alone)

Ok here's my issue. I've only een playing about 2 weeks and just last night was able to land on the mun and return to Kerbin. Excited doesn't begin to cover it! Now I am ready to go further but this expansion came out. I like the idea of contracts but I can't really afford mine! My first contract is to plant a flag on the mun. I only start with 10000 and that isn't enough for me to build a mun lander. I did a few test contracts but really only got to about 35000. Now I am stuck. I was excited to get on today and head out to minimus or somewhere and now I feel like the game has been taken from me. I wish I had the lower level contracts to build some cash up. I am pretty much at a lost and don't really know what to do know. I was really enjoying this game but now I am stuck. Is there a way to build cash that I'm not aware of? please help!!
If I understand correctly how it works you should be able to ignore those contracts and get easier ones so that you can grind the money you need from those.

This is just what I understood from what was said during squad streams or read on here, so I am not 100% sure if this is correct.

Huh. Squad said it'd be very hard to run out of money. Either their testers are too good at playing the game or... well, you and your two friends aren't doing it right.

Take a contract that offers prepayment and use that prepayment to fund another, cheaper mission. Bit by bit you should be able to creep back into black.

You are aware there's still sandbox mode, and a mode without funds at all, called Science, right?

How are you running out of funds? Revert to launchpad/assembly for your 'simulator flights' as necessary.

I think the problem is .23.5 savegames being converted to contract mode? In that case seahawk had no choice and is not really responsible for being "bankrupt".

I opened my persistence file and searched for the word "fund". Took me right to it.

And there is a mode without funds. It's called Science Mode and it's the option between Career and Sandbox.

This seems to be the only solution then.

I like what I see in .24 so far.

There are a lot of crazy contracts to end up in. Testing Mainsails while splashed down or Solid Rocket Boosters in Orbit but thats what comes from proceduraly generated missions. Still it gives the game some kind of Storyline and you dont have to think about what to do next. Goals are always nice to have.

But what worries me the most is, that the LT-1 Landing Strut is super weak now and even if I lock the suspension it will collapse beneath me :(

Haven't tried .24 yet but from seeing videos, I can see that career mode is still just as work-in-progress as before. For example, you don't pay cash to unlock items yet, as it seems to be intended - the fields are there in the R&D building, and you certainly earn a lot more cash than you need right now. That probably is pending a tech tree revamp. The tech tree hasn't been touched at all since its introduction in .22, beyond moving around a few parts between a few nodes, it's catastrophically modding unfriendly, and node costs are out of whack with science point income. Science itself also hasn't been changed since .22. And reworking science doesn't make any sense without at the same time finishing up the rest of the solar system in terms of biomes on planets and stuff...

So yeah, I don't think there's much to comment on when there's obviously so much more still to come before career mode is finished and tuned. I'm actually expecting .25 to dive headfirst into at least some of these issues.

I really like the implementation of contracts, at least at the first couple of days (All I've had time to test).

The altitude and speed requirements actually make flying the rocket manually interesting. Building specific setups to fulfill multiple mission requirements through various altitudes and speeds on three to four contracts a launch is a nice puzzle and takes pretty close attention. So KUDOS on that.

Haven't had a chance to test the new parts, but I'm looking forward to it later.

Hmm. Seems my post was gobbled up in the merge. Let me try again.

In my opinion, and I cannot speak from a position of authority on the matter, the "stupid" requirements for contracts are an attempt to mirror reality. I'd wager that when a prototype is tested, it is done so at a variety of different altitudes, speeds, and other parameters determined by the engineers and technicians responsible for the design. It wouldn't just be handed to the tester to test when it was convenient for them.

The requirements for altitude etc, to me, appear to be Squad's attempt to mimic this. If the game allowed completion of contracts by testing whenever the player wanted, or when it suited them, then it'd be far too easy to breeze through the contracts.

So, I for one applaud the different criteria that contract fulfillment requires!

LOL, that´s interesting ...

it seems like your contracts enable you to get test models of parts, that you haven´t researched yet ...

these are available for you to use until the contract to which they are connected is fulfilled.

Afterwards they vanish (unless, of course, you have reearched the necessary node in the meantime)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.