The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Very happy with how it's gone. I had lots of mods and random things clogging up my game. I've done a full clean install and been playing for three hours, and had so much fun I haven't even thought about adding any mods. Career mode now has a point, some direction, but not too much. This is what I like. This feels like the first "real" update in some time. Can only imagine how exciting .25 will be.

What are your first impressions about 0.24

I should thank to Squad , thanks to they released new updates to the KSP, I did not die of boredom at last night, because I did not sleep several night in a row :(

In fact i was planed, to make separate thread about it in scientific section,

I wonder what could cause such episodes of insomnia, even took a sleeping pill, nitrazepam is a very powerful sleep drug, based on benzodiazepines, my psychiatrist said that the pill will knock down everyone even a horse:D, she said just to be careful with it because it can addictive, but do not take this day.

But on me it did not work, unfortunately

But we have to talk about the new ksp and not about my mental health: D, this new system of contracts is simply great, although I played very briefly, I have some reservations about the contracts regarding experimentation is hard to meet all the criteria For instance maintain height in the range 2800 - 7800 while reaching a certain speed, as if the requirements are not too high but the devil is in the details :)

Edited by Pawelk198604

There are 5 templates for missions now, nothing too exiting yet.

But I think it's a good start, and I'm sure the mod-army will cater your needs soon...

I would prefer if devs would carter too, and actually deliver some more "meat" to the game, then just hope for modders to do work for them. I paid my money to SQUAD, not modders.

I would prefer if devs would carter too, and actually deliver some more "meat" to the game, then just hope for modders to do work for them. I paid my money to SQUAD, not modders.

I only play stock myself. (so far) And agree that you can't defend a flaw in a game by saying there is a mod for it.

But I'm sure you got good value for money already...

You knew this wasn't a finished product, so complaining about a lack of "meat" before full release doesn't make sense.

I'm sure more will come, maybe soon. But modders will always be faster.

As a small dev team, you can't even come close to the creativity of a modding community.

With the devs working towards scope completion first (adding depth) and modders adding the width, (extra parts, contracts, ...) we get a full game much earlier.

But as said before, devs should/will make sure the width is there before they call the game 1.0.

I still think they should focus more on performance and better joystick support instead of carrer stuff half ppl that plays ksp will not use... :P

and you think more than half of the people that play ksp will use joystick?

What is going on with the staging? I've sometimes have had to hit spacebar two or three times to initiate the next stage.. Very annoying..

No idea- buy I feel ya there. I've had the same problem myself (when staging even works at all- for instance recently I separated a rocket into 2 pieces, with a probe core attached to the lower stage to activate the parachutes and attempt to fly it back to the ground. Unfortunately, the parachutes wouldn't activate with the assigned staging control AT ALL, and I was forced to manually activate the parachutes with right-click: which apparently DQ'd the rocket form completing a relevant parachute contract, even though the first parachute activated in the correct speed and altitude range...

Also, what's up with the briefings? They look a bit like a drunk monkey (or a recovering heroin addict) wrote them. The content is there, but the syntax is just a complete catastrophe. It's impossible to get any emotional value out of them, or to draw anything decipherable from them, other than once in a while a key fact- like that a rocket in need of rescue underwent "unplanned combustion" (i.e. suffered and explosion) when you see that phrase ("unplanned combustion") in isolation in the garble...

All things aside, it's a great update, and I'm glad to see it released- especially so soon after the last one. I appreciate Squad's work- I was just a bit surprised with the buginess of the new version after how much they talked about "waiting to make it perfect"... Makes me think maybe they could have waited a little bit longer...

Regards,

Northstar

My congratulations to the entire KSP Dev Team!

I'll be grabbing later today, I'm sure that you guys have earned a weekend of rest and relaxation for all the hard work you have done thus far. :)

My Feedback so far:

- Show Part details (MouseOver?) for Contracts before we have to accept those. I don't like having to look it up in the wiki.

- Make those "active missions" sortable (drag&drop?). I'd like to have them in the same order i plan to fulfill them, especially on missions with multiple of them with ambitious conditions in a short timeframe

- More infos for running contracts. Especially in the vab it would be nice to see whats the actual reward for sth. Had to switch between them quite a few times

- Save system... I currently play somewhat casual & without mods. With no MJ predicting the landing site is complicated, and the rockets have much less margin for error (excess twr / delta-v) because of budgets, so failed missions are a lot more common now. But the goddamn revert feature breaks all the time, even by checking how long another ship is away from its maneuver. Having an "on last launch" save would be a good start and i wouldn't mind having 3-5 auto saves in a rotation i could choose from as well. Idk what exactly i wan't, but having to re-fly an hour long mission since jeb had to land in the mountains near KSC and missed one of the roofs by 50m, landing on a 100% degree slope wasn't that much fun.

- I really hope there already is some kind of story mission. Haven't rescued the kerbal (currently night at KSC) or visited the moon yet, but it would be sad if there wasn't at least some small story arc.

What is going on with the staging? I've sometimes have had to hit spacebar two or three times to initiate the next stage.. Very annoying..

Yes, think i had this a few times as well.

I only got to play for about 90 minutes yesterday, starting career mode twice in the process. The second time, I did the first three objectives with the first mission, the orbit objective with the second, and was nearly done building a moon rocket for the third when I looked at my watch and headed for bed. I imagine that's a typical first three missions, but I'd be interested to know if anybody was able to land on the moon in two. I've enjoyed playing "beat the clock" in 0.22-0.23 career mode games, and I like the way the deadlines in the contract system introduce that element naturally. My only quibble so far is that some of the part-testing contracts seem quite persnickety about the conditions that need to be met to fulfill them. Also, I was pretty sure I did everything the MK-16 parachute test required but still no love! Seems like kind of a lot of grinding for not very much reward.

and you think more than half of the people that play ksp will use joystick?

more than ppl that plays with 3d mouses... chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

There should be lots of ppl playing using flight sticks and other things if the game had better support for it... it's basically a flight simulator, come on...

Unity don't give good support for this kind of peripherals. another Unity based space game had the same issues and the developers did a plugin to add complete support for joysticks.

also an old bug that cause ladders to not deploy retract inside editor when you load a vessel, introduced in 0.23, remained in 0.24... and Squad, instead of resolving the many bugs KSP have, preffer to add more stuff to cause more bugs... It's a great game... but they are ruining it little by little the way they are managing it... I also found another annoying bug that changes your throtle and turns SaS off when you do a low flyby above certain points arround KSC... ¬¬"

I still think they should focus more on performance and better joystick support instead of carrer stuff half ppl that plays ksp will not use... :P

Have you tried using a Nintendo controller? I've found that they're supported quite well and that the various functions are very easy to naturally distribute between the different control axes. A full-sized stick would have to be pretty fancy to incorporate enough control axes. Also, most of the full-sized sticks I've owned are recognized as generic game controllers by the OS, so I wonder why it is that you'd be having problems.

Edited by herbal space program

Only XBox 360 controller works well.. and even this one needs some cfg tweaks to properlly use the triggers correctly...

I have an old Sidewinder Forcefeedback 2... it works pretty well with every other game I have... even Battlefield 3/4.... Planetside 2...

but in KSP it's bugged as hell... since Unity droped directinput support... in 2012... 2 years... and nothing... when they added 3D Mouse support, but no joystick support... I got really mad... ¬¬"

I've had some annoying cases recently where my staging locks (I think maybe if I mouse over the lower left control area for too long) and alt-L doesn't work. Nothing besides exiting to KSC and reloading seems to unlock it again.

SUGGESTION: What we need is a "cha-ching" sound-affect or something along those lines when we complete a mission and get money, and we should have a little green popup showing how much profit you made (like this: "+5000" underneath your cash bar) This will make completing a mission more satisfying!

You can use ANY joystick with KSP via PPJoy and GlovePIE (freeware). See here

SUGGESTION: What we need is a "cha-ching" sound-affect or something along those lines when we complete a mission and get money, and we should have a little green popup showing how much profit you made (like this: "+5000" underneath your cash bar) This will make completing a mission more satisfying!

That'd be a neat little touch.

I've had some annoying cases recently where my staging locks (I think maybe if I mouse over the lower left control area for too long) and alt-L doesn't work. Nothing besides exiting to KSC and reloading seems to unlock it again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.