The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Ok.. I just noticed the staging light.. It seems some stages just take longer to get the greenlight to stage. When the staging locks up the stage light is red and then transitions to green. I don't remember it being like this in past KSP.. You could have 83 stages and hammer through them with 83 repetitive spacebar presses.. I don't remember ever having a time delay on them. Strange. So it's not a bug.. It's a feature?

Edit: I just reported it in support to see what they say.

Edited by styckx

So is anyone having the bug with 64bit version that causes the ship to always be throttled about 40-50% when you launch a ship??

This is not game breaking at all and does not really affect gameplay, but still found that bug kinda odd since it happens with every ship.

So I wonder if this is something that just happens on for me or if this is the case with everyone using 64bit client.

So is anyone having the bug with 64bit version that causes the ship to always be throttled about 40-50% when you launch a ship??

This is not game breaking at all and does not really affect gameplay, but still found that bug kinda odd since it happens with every ship.

So I wonder if this is something that just happens on for me or if this is the case with everyone using 64bit client.

Ok.. I just noticed the staging light.. It seems some stages just take longer to get the greenlight to stage. When the staging locks up the stage light is red and then transitions to green. I don't remember it being like this in past KSP.. You could have 83 stages and hammer through them with 83 repetitive spacebar presses.. I don't remember ever having a time delay on them. Strange. So it's not a bug.. It's a feature?

Edit: I just reported it in support to see what they say.

I have only seen this with radial decouplers under heavy load, as soon as the load deforming the entire rocket goes away so does the flashing of staging.

Yup. I don't know what it is but it's very annoying. I just hit the space bar 4 times to disengage from the launch pad.. So much wasted fuel because the stages are locking up.. I think it's related to the mouse click bug.. I'm going to make sure to right click before I attempt staging next and see if that fixes things..

Can confirm, I'm running a kerbal x64 and I find myself having to hit space multiple times to stage, or click on something multiple times to get options to show up. On some contracts, there's such a narrow altitude window that it makes it difficult to get the timing just right. :(

I'm running on a I7 (3000 something) with 20+gb of ram and windows 8.1.

Just finished my first round of play in 0.24 (using the Win64 version).

I must say using all that more memory of my machine makes it load and behave *waaaay* smoother, faster and it feels a lot more stable too.

It also solved a bug I had since 0.23 where exiting would freeze the process for me. I can now safely exit KSP again without any trouble at all.

I'm overjoyed.

Is the spacebar thing on Win64 only?

It could be. I read somewhere on here that the mouse clicking thing is a unity64 problem, the spacebar might be, too. I'm using the 64 bit version, so far those are the only issues I've had. Everything else works fine. I haven't encountered any lag either, but I haven't gotten to crazy sized ships yet. this whole 'funds' thing makes me rethink designs a lot (in a good way).

Hey Squad. First of all, I'm enjoying the update so far. I feel like I've got a real progression system working against me, though the gameplay honestly doesn't feel as refined as the science tree did when it was released. Anyway, I just want to suggest that, when the time comes, you should scrap the procedural mission briefs. The humor in KSP delivered by the flavor-text and whatnot is something of a cherry-on-top to the game, and the awkward-to-read, unfunny procedural briefs are a real subtraction. I suspect you've put a fair amount of effort into such a daunting feature, and that your first urge will be to try and fix it rather than scrap it, but I'd really say that you should just do away with the procedural briefs and replace them with some of that witty writing we were all surprised to find in a space-sim game.

Of course, I understand that there are a lot of contracts to write descriptions for - even if you start reusing them - so man-hours may be an issue. With this in mind, I'l tell you that, at least from my perspective, I'd rather have a small quantity of often-repeated hilarious mission briefs than a large quantity of unfunny ones. Good luck with the writing, devs.

I like it!

What's ironic, however, is that I did the land on the Mun contract, planted a flag of Jebs junkyard, and then when I get home Jeb wants another flag! Welp, good time to test out the C7 gear bay on the mun... (seriously, why do you need gear bays on the mu- SSTO MUNAR PLANES!!!)

I like it!

What's ironic, however, is that I did the land on the Mun contract, planted a flag of Jebs junkyard, and then when I get home Jeb wants another flag! Welp, good time to test out the C7 gear bay on the mun... (seriously, why do you need gear bays on the mu- SSTO MUNAR PLANES!!!)

I so also feel that at times, some of the contracts generated exceed even the Kerbal level of being un-necessary. Kinda feels wasteful to drop a lone decoupler from the launchpad, testing landing gear in strange places, etc. I'm sure it will get better as the system improves over time for sure.

As an aside (I'm sure others have already figured this out) if you get a contract that asks you to test a certain engine or other part in "splash down on Kerbin" or the like, after you've landed/splashed down, add a new stage to the staging options, and drag the engine/part you need to test up to the new, unactivated stage (yes, even if the part was already activated in a prior stage, just pretend it wasn't and make a new stage for it). Then all you have to do is "stage" the engine/part while splashed/landed and it will count as triggering it for the first time and complete the test, even if it wasn't the first time you "staged" it. This also works for empty SRBs that you need to test at certain locations -- even after they are empty, just make a new stage, drag the item-to-be-tested to it, and stage it again (even if it has already been staged prior).

Example: Capsule+Fuel+LV-909. Stage launch, activate engine, and use it to fly short distance to water; splash down. Turn throttle to zero. Make a new stage option, and drag LV-909 to the new stage. Active this stage as though you were activating the engine for the first time. Any tests that required a test of the LV-909 while splashed down will be completed, even though you used that engine to get there. I haven't found a need to deactivate the engine first prior to "re-staging" for it to work.

Edited by Holyvision

SUGGESTION: What we need is a "cha-ching" sound-affect or something along those lines when we complete a mission and get money, and we should have a little green popup showing how much profit you made (like this: "+5000" underneath your cash bar) This will make completing a mission more satisfying!

I agree. More sound effects and more Kerbal reactions.

It's the same with 32-bit version. I guess they've added it. I'm not very fond of such setting, but I won't complain.

the win 64 build's time warp always periodically lag about a second

does anyone encounter this issue as well?

64-bit version seems to be working with less fps for me on the same level of details so I run 32-bit.

I agree. More sound effects and more Kerbal reactions.

Thanks for agreeing!

It's the same with 32-bit version. I guess they've added it. I'm not very fond of such setting, but I won't complain.

Yeah this was included in the change-log, it's quite useful when you build massive ships that cause the fps to drop to 2 ;)

Also stages lock themselves when you mouse over them (I discovered this earlier) so It seems like a prevention system!

Edited by Boamere

That's a feature, not a bug.

That'd be a neat little touch.

And Thank you for supporting my idea, Now all we need is a way for the Devs to look at some of our ideas :/

(Also the main reason I want a sound effect is because it isn't very easy to know when you've made money (plus it'd be awesome!) and I want a profit indicator so I can tell if I screwed up and lost money)

I'm not even sure it was an intentional change. It really just doesn't look right.

Yeah pretty weird :o

Edited by Boamere

Thanks for agreeing!

Yeah this was included in the change-log, it's quite useful when you build massive ships that cause the fps to drop to 2 ;)

Also I think this new space bar thing is not a bug, but the stages lock themselves when you mouse over them (I discovered this earlier) so It seems like a prevention system!

It's not a mouse over problem. I've re-created the delayed staging with the simpliest of Vanilla

Watch the stage light from the moment I fire the first stage.. It goes blank for a half second, then red, then green. The entire time I was mashing the spacebar.. It won't stage until it's green. This delay varies and can be in the seconds sometimes in later stages.

No audio. Shadowplay isn't recording audio for some reason and Fraps crashes 64Bit KSP

It's not a mouse over problem. I've re-created the delayed staging with the simpliest of Vanilla

Watch the stage light from the moment I fire the first stage.. It goes blank for a half second, then red, then green. The entire time I was mashing the spacebar.. It won't stage until it's green. This delay varies and can be in the seconds sometimes in later stages.

No audio. Shadowplay isn't recording audio for some reason and Fraps crashes 64Bit KSP

Oh really? Then what I have found must be a new (undocumented) feature! Or one that's old and I have never seen before :P (also can you test the mouse over thing to make sure i'm not going mad)

Has no one noticed that the throttle goes to 50% when switching to vessels as well? Imagine the scenario: You land your craft on the Mun, switch to another vessel, and when you come back it will automatically throttle up and take off with out your input.

I personally think there was absolutely nothing wrong with leaving throttle at 0 on start. Why did they have to change it?

Has no one noticed that the throttle goes to 50% when switching to vessels as well? Imagine the scenario: You land your craft on the Mun, switch to another vessel, and when you come back it will automatically throttle up and take off with out your input.

I have not seen that...

I personally think there was absolutely nothing wrong with leaving throttle at 0 on start. Why did they have to change it?

Oh crud... let's hope there's a prevention system for that... I think they did it because that's what used to happen in very old ksp versions.... It's also the halfway point between full throttle and no throttle (no sh** sherlock :rolleyes:) which allows for quicker start up, especially when it lags a lot

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.