The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Conclusion The game has become awfully simple and mainstream with the last update, .

Adding tech tree and budget constraints while also adding new design goals to meet contract terms has made the game simpler? That is a very odd interpretation.

sooo to clarify things.

contracts are continuously generated, right? and they are based on my progress, right? so as long as i don't progress (mun landing would be the next step or me) i will forever only get small "test XY in flight" contracts?

sooo to clarify things.

contracts are continuously generated, right? and they are based on my progress, right? so as long as i don't progress (mun landing would be the next step or me) i will forever only get small "test XY in flight" contracts?

To my knowledge yes, You are only going to get missions you can accomplish.

On the other note, I still think the Tech Tree needs a huge overhaul still is not that great or good or anything.

I'm loving the contracts so far but not the new buttons UI, they are good but not great, I want to have both my Fuels and Electricity stuff open but at the same time the contracts open. dunno how to do it.

Also if people feel the game is too easy for them, wow, good job, half of my rockets still crashes and burn. But I always go back to my Quicksave, there should be like a penalty or like an "Ironman mode" for the game, where you can't save at any point, just sometimes at some points.

- Conclusion The game has become awfully simple and mainstream with the last update

At least you can tell people how you were into KSP before it went all mainstream.

I can understand how someone wouldn't like science and contracts, though I do enjoy them very much. What I can't understand is how starting with a half dozen parts and having to accomplish goals (even simple ones, they're still required goals) makes the game EASIER than starting with every single part unlocked and an unlimited budget that never runs out.

Even the "go bankrupt and then recover your ship for all the money back" scheme takes more work than sandbox mode, and it's about as close to cheating as you can get in a game with no cheating.

... an "Ironman mode" for the game, where you can't save at any point, just sometimes at some points.

Use the Debug/Cheats menu (Alt-F12) to turn off quicksaves/quickloads. You can always save from the main menu. Or, you know, just don't reload. :)

Nobody seems to have asked about aerodynamics yet from what I have seen, so I was just wondering...

The perplexing 600 Root cost of the nose cone seems a little excessive IF it doesn't do anything (as of 0.24) to enhance the airflow around fuselage (or reduce drag on children?). As a result, in the new career mode (which is WAY too easy but I won't complain because it is awesome nonetheless - and thank you) it will NEVER be used. This is not the only part that will see little use if the question of enhanced aerodynamics has not yet been addressed. Anyway, I'm certainly not complaining and am enjoying the game immensely again after a rest while you finished 0.24.

Nobody seems to have asked about aerodynamics yet from what I have seen, so I was just wondering...

The perplexing 600 Root cost of the nose cone seems a little excessive IF it doesn't do anything (as of 0.24) to enhance the airflow around fuselage (or reduce drag on children?). As a result, in the new career mode (which is WAY too easy but I won't complain because it is awesome nonetheless - and thank you) it will NEVER be used. This is not the only part that will see little use if the question of enhanced aerodynamics has not yet been addressed. Anyway, I'm certainly not complaining and am enjoying the game immensely again after a rest while you finished 0.24.

At best, the nosecones enhance stability a little when in atmo with stock aerodynamics, otherwise they are additional drag, mass and cost. The do make rockets look better, though.

At best, the nosecones enhance stability a little when in atmo with stock aerodynamics, otherwise they are additional drag, mass and cost. The do make rockets look better, though.

Previously, the nosecones were used only for aesthetic purposes and I suppose that later on when I have more Roots than I can spend I can use them for that once more. Fingers crossed they take a look at aerodynamics soon eh

Thanks for this great update, Squad! I finally don't feel so bad using OP mod parts as I just make them incredibly expensive. The only shame is the lack of variety in contracts, though that will obviously be amended either by modders or by future updates. Things like land a science lab on Eeloo or send a probe out of Kerbol system would be great additions.

I have a slightly different issue with funds. I've enjoyed doing contracts to build funds to do missions. Money wasn't a problem until I started putting out long term stations and trying to run long term missions. Last night I had about 100k left after sending a mission to the mun. Dropped off the lander, planting flag (contract), tested an engine around mun (contract), and returned the rocket + engine to kerbin leaving lander on mun. Smashed the rocket into the ocean because I forgot chutes. Went back to mission control and suddenly I have 2M+ funds.

I would really like to be able to just get a full accounting of the money because I always seemed to come back with more funds than I should have.

I did more testing, it turns out this only happens for crafts that have not 'launched' yet. I experienced it with crafts that I just had driving around KSC so they hadn't technically launched.

Rather serious and irritating bug.

Not only is the throttle switched to 50% when switching between these craft, if you fly within 200m of a another craft on the ground, your throttle switches to 50%.

I set up two probes as runway landing lights a couple of kilometers in front of runway 90 (these are used as long distance markers). When coming in to land, my throttle was at 0%, it switched to 50% as I flew over the lights.

This also occurs if you are at full throttle, e.g taking off where your take-off path takes you within 200m of another craft.

This might be "convenient" behaviour for people who don't want to push the shift key for two seconds, but I am finding it the single most irritating feature of this 0.24 release.

Edited by Sonertial
Typo's, diplomacy.

Not only is the throttle is switched to 50% when switching between these craft, if you fly within 200m of a another craft on the ground, your throttle switches to 50%.

I set up two probes as runway landing lights a couple of kilometers in front of runway 90 (these are used as long distance markers). When coming in to land, my throttle was at 0%, it switched to 50% as I flew over the lights.

This also occurs if you are at full throttle, e.g taking off where your take-off path takes you within 200m of another craft.

This might be "convenient" behaviour for people too lazy to push the shift key for two seconds, but I am finding it the single most irritating feature of this 0.24 release.

Happened to me too, my craft got obliterated because of that (thankfully I'm a F5/F9 spammer). Really irritating especially since my spaceplanes are quite complicated and need to be launched with 0% throttle :mad:

Not only is the throttle switched to 50% when switching between these craft, if you fly within 200m of a another craft on the ground, your throttle switches to 50%.

This might be "convenient" behaviour for people who don't want to push the shift key for two seconds, but I am finding it the single most irritating feature of this 0.24 release.

This is going to make hyperedit pretty funny.

Use the Debug/Cheats menu (Alt-F12) to turn off quicksaves/quickloads. You can always save from the main menu. Or, you know, just don't reload. :)

Oh didn't know about this feature. Thank you, either way, we do need a no save option on the menu in my opinion :P.

If you're playing hyper-hardcore, just launch your test vessels on another save.

Yea, you can transfer vessels (blueprints).

That's pretty much what I did back on 0.23. I had two games, "simulator" and "live". On "sim" I could do anything, but once I copied the ship to "live", no reverts and no loads except when KSP crashed or seriously glitched. Lesser glitches I'd often play through as equipment failures.

This was in sandbox mode. Doing it in contract mode sounds like it could be fun, except for keeping the tech trees synchronized. Anyone know an easy way?

I did save a lot. I like a lot of mods, so crashes weren't uncommon. And I hate having to do things over.

While that fix is being done, can that part have it's mass and physics calculations re-enabled?

Right now both of the new parts have "PhysicsSignificance = 1" on them.

Same with both of the old RCS blocks.

Since when is it OK to disable physics on parts that both apply thrust to the ship and have significant mass?

After all, thrusters that have physics disabled will have an effective Thrust-to-Mass ratio of INFINITY.

Call me crazy, but that can't be right.

They cannot have a thrust-to-mass ratio of x/0, or "infinity" as you stipulate, since they can never fire without being attached to a fuel tank with some mass. In theory, yes, but in practice, nope.

They cannot have a thrust-to-mass ratio of x/0, or "infinity" as you stipulate, since they can never fire without being attached to a fuel tank with some mass. In theory, yes, but in practice, nope.

The TWR of an engine refers to the thrust versus the weight of the engine itself, so RCS thrusters and the O-10 monoprop engine do have effectively infinite or undefined TWRs. The TWR of the craft they're used on is of course finite and calculable.

In the 'Rescue kerbal on EVA' contract, does anyone know how to actually do it? I've got a craft to < 80m away from the kerbal (very early craft without RCS, and LV-45 engine only, so stressful and messy into the bargain), but I can't take control of said kerbal, so how do I coax him to get his butt into the empty pod I have waiting for him?

EDIT: ...and please nobody say "with cookies" :P

Edited by Stephanie the Viking

Annnnnnnnd I'm BACKKKKKK Oh, wait... UPDATE .24????!!!!!! I'm gone for one week and look what happens...

Anyways, I can explain. I missed the hype train when it departed because of bad traffic while getting to the train station... I was chasing it alongside on a road for most of the way, trying to catch it. But then the Kraken Hyper-Drive kicked in... My ears are still ringing from the sonic boom. So here I am, five days late, arriving at the hype train station 0.24.

Anyways, I'm downloading it now. I have not bothered to watch any videos or anything, so all I know about .24 is things from the live streams, dev notes, and articles... So I'll just have to wing it with that new career mode thingy. Anyways, finally, Squad has added the long promised career mode, and not just some science, but an actual game when you need to keep track of and manage your space program! (and 64 bit at the same time!) And today is 4 days from the anniversary of when I first downloaded KSP (0.16). It only took not-even-2-years!

Thank you devs, as always you're awesome!

Edited by RocketPilot573

In the 'Rescue kerbal on EVA' contract, does anyone know how to actually do it? I've got a craft to < 80m away from the kerbal (very early craft without RCS, and LV-45 engine only, so stressful and messy into the bargain), but I can't take control of said kerbal, so how do I coax him to get his butt into the empty pod I have waiting for him?

EDIT: ...and please nobody say "with cookies" :P

After rendezvous I just switch to leaved Kerbal and act as ordinary EVA, so turn on his jetpack and go to the ship.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.