The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

I keep getting a "no visible receivers" error when trying to transmit data. I have the antenna range mod installed but I'm only at the mun but I still can't transmit stuff. I've got enough power and all that. Do I need to be able to see KSC?

This update is fantastic! I just registered for the forum so I could let you know how much I like career mode.

I do agree money is easy to come buy but its better than a debilitating resource for people like me without a lot of experience and who don't like to use the "revert" buttons when I find out I could have optimized a particular stage during launch. And I like the optional missions for testing certain parts in situations you would never use them for (like testing a booster rocket in orbit).

I know there will be a lot of fine tuning for missions and rewards in the future but there is room for improvement. I have only made it to mun so far but so far but I have received missions to accomplish things I have already done like transmit data from the orbit around mun (did that the first time around). I hope the mission generator will track unvisited bioms and base future scientific missions on discovering new bioms and collecting a target science (like collect temperature data from a polar cap on kerbin). I like the carrot on a stick approach for exploring the game.

Anyway, great job Squad! This update was one giant leap for KSP

I'm not moving to 0.24 until Squad makes the game mod-friendly again. All my crafts have some kind of weird bug going on (yes, with the latest versions of the mods), and the modders say it's because of a module change that effectively breaks old crafts.

I'm not moving to 0.24 until Squad makes the game mod-friendly again. All my crafts have some kind of weird bug going on (yes, with the latest versions of the mods), and the modders say it's because of a module change that effectively breaks old crafts.

Well, and what do you expect from SQUAD to do now? Broken saves will never get compatible again. This would require a compatibility mode from KSP as well as the mods.

If you wait until your modded crafts work again, then I guess you will never play KSP again.

Well, and what do you expect from SQUAD to do now? Broken saves will never get compatible again. This would require a compatibility mode from KSP as well as the mods.

If you wait until your modded crafts work again, then I guess you will never play KSP again.

I just say I won't be able to play 0.24. As stated in the FAR thread, it is a known bug that was introduced in the 0.24 patch that is likely to be fixed in the next bug-fixing patch by Squad. Until then, I'm sticking to 0.23.5, that is all.

KSP is a mod driven game, so it would be strange if this bug isn't prioritised, as it effectively breaks all crafts having modded PartModules in them.

0.24.1 patch is looking likely culprit for introducing the right click bug (or something very similar to it) into the 32bit version.

Replication steps below

REPLICATION STEPS - 32bit unmodded, brand new career save, no quicksaves or loads used at any stage

• Launch a ship into orbit (might need an initial launch to get science for parts). In my instance the ship that ended up in orbit had the the mk16 mini parachute, mk1 command pod, the 180cap fuel tank, and an ltv-30 engine (orbital launch attained via solid rocket boosters and seperators).
  • Go to the space centre and QUIT THE GAME. This step seems important.
  • Restart the game. Go to the space centre tracking station and select the ship. Right click some components in space. In my instance, the second right click failed, and every right click thereafter.

Hi,

Windows 7 ultimate 64x here. Thinkpad T420s, fully updated drivers etc.

Deleted 23.5 install. Downloaded x64 version of .24 Loaded - crashed. Loaded - created new game - crashed. Started again, opened the saved newly created game - crashed.

So i guess x64 is not for me :(

Love the 0.24 update (and hotfixes)! Funds and prestige make the game FAR more interesting than before.

Questions / Issues

1. What is the name of the currency? /F, VF, "Funds," or other??

2. How do prestige points work? I've been in the mid 900's for a while. Some missions I gain hundreds of prestige points but the scale budges up just a point or two. Is it logarithmic or something?

3. How do Vernor engines work? I've tried testing them in various ways but rarely do I get them to do anything. I've even put a regular RCS block next to vernors, and while the RCS block fires in various directions when I try translating (in the usual 6 directions) the Vernor engine does absolutely nothing. Frustrating. Tested them in orbit, on the pad, and nada. (Just got it to fire once when I accidentally rolled the ship over on the pad; SAS was on and I think it was trying to keep the ship from rolling.) What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I have just one mod installed, the latest MechJeb. Wasn't even using MJ during these tests.

3. How do Vernor engines work? I've tried testing them in various ways but rarely do I get them to do anything. I've even put a regular RCS block next to vernors, and while the RCS block fires in various directions when I try translating (in the usual 6 directions) the Vernor engine does absolutely nothing. Frustrating. Tested them in orbit, on the pad, and nada. (Just got it to fire once when I accidentally rolled the ship over on the pad; SAS was on and I think it was trying to keep the ship from rolling.) What am I doing wrong?

EDIT: I have just one mod installed, the latest MechJeb. Wasn't even using MJ during these tests.

After some experimentation, I'm fairly sure I know what the problem is.

Vernor thrusters (And any other RCS thruster) adjust their thrust based on their distance from the COM in order to achieve a constant angular acceleration (I think this is what they do). The closer said thruster is to the COM, the less thrust it will produce (because it needs to apply a smaller force to achieve the same acceleration. This is due to moment of inertia - basic high school physics).

This basically means that if you place your thrusters exactly on the COM, the force applied is so small that you won't even notice it. If you then move the thrusters above or below the COM, you will notice that they now respond to your control inputs.

E: Wait, it won't work even when you're trying to translate? Are you sure they're getting fuel?

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

E: Wait, it won't work even when you're trying to translate? Are you sure they're getting fuel?

Thanks for helping out Captain.

Yes, exactly, they don't work in translation mode. In my experiment, I had one set of vernors bolted directly to the pod, and another set bolted directly to an adjacent RCS fuel tank. And I also had a quad-block of the usual RCS thrusters attached to the same ship as a control (to be sure I was getting some RCS action). Result: the old RCS blocks worked fine in rotation and translation, but the vernors did nothing. Hence my confusion.

I'm starting to suspect it's a mechjeb issue, will try that next.

On another note, I think there might be something wrong with air intakes and/or jet engines.

pqHVMXK.png

The plane in the picture is completely stock. It's powered by a single turbojet and has a total of 4 intakes - two nacelles and two circular intakes. Looks completely normal, no?

Now, the problem - yes, I said "problem" - is that this cute little thing can accelerate up to 2200 m/s even without ram air intakes. Ok, maybe it is possible. But what if I told you that it does the last 500 m/s or so with zero intake air? And that it can reach an altitude of well over 30km before flameout?

I don't think it should be capable of doing such things.

Edited by CaptainKorhonen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.