The Grand 0.24 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Now, the problem - yes, I said "problem" - is that this cute little thing can accelerate up to 2200 m/s even without ram air intakes. Ok, maybe it is possible. But what if I told you that it does the last 500 m/s or so with zero intake air? And that it can reach an altitude of well over 30km before flameout?

Zero intake air as measured by the resources panel? When they added the RAPIER engine, they changed the way resources worked a little bit, and one of the changes was that the resources panel now displays how much intake air is left over after the engines have taken their share. Makes it hard to tell from the resources panel when you're actually going to flame out, as zero intake air just means the engines aren't able to operate at full throttle (the same change also made them auto-throttle down in this case).

Zero intake air as measured by the resources panel? When they added the RAPIER engine, they changed the way resources worked a little bit, and one of the changes was that the resources panel now displays how much intake air is left over after the engines have taken their share. Makes it hard to tell from the resources panel when you're actually going to flame out, as zero intake air just means the engines aren't able to operate at full throttle (the same change also made them auto-throttle down in this case).

That might be it, then. But what I still don't understand is how the heck it managed to achieve such a high speed with only 4 non-ram-air intakes. Back in 0.23 I would struggle to reach 1700 m/s with designs similar to that one, or even more powerful.

might be just me but has anyone else found it more difficult right clicking on things. Spent last night doing station fuel transfers that had me almost pulling hair out

Yes. And it is driving me insane.

Also, this patch http://steamcommunity.com/games/220200/announcements/detail/164697537424896876 claims to have fixed exactly that.

It has not for me, I am still finding I have to right click on something 7x times before the context menu pops up.

On another note, I think there might be something wrong with air intakes and/or jet engines.

http://i.imgur.com/pqHVMXK.png

The plane in the picture is completely stock. It's powered by a single turbojet and has a total of 4 intakes - two nacelles and two circular intakes. Looks completely normal, no?

Now, the problem - yes, I said "problem" - is that this cute little thing can accelerate up to 2200 m/s even without ram air intakes. Ok, maybe it is possible. But what if I told you that it does the last 500 m/s or so with zero intake air? And that it can reach an altitude of well over 30km before flameout?

I don't think it should be capable of doing such things.

I don't think this is related to any changes; I could hit 2,200m/s and 30,000m + in a similar single-turbojet basic plane in 23.5. I circumnavigated Kerbin in that thing. IIRC, it only had a few radial intakes.

I don't think this is related to any changes; I could hit 2,200m/s and 30,000m + in a similar single-turbojet basic plane in 23.5. I circumnavigated Kerbin in that thing. IIRC, it only had a few radial intakes.

Oh. I think I finally got the hang of building airplanes, then. Never before have I been able to make such a small plane fly so high and fast.

Thanks for helping out Captain.

Yes, exactly, they don't work in translation mode. In my experiment, I had one set of vernors bolted directly to the pod, and another set bolted directly to an adjacent RCS fuel tank. And I also had a quad-block of the usual RCS thrusters attached to the same ship as a control (to be sure I was getting some RCS action). Result: the old RCS blocks worked fine in rotation and translation, but the vernors did nothing. Hence my confusion.

I'm starting to suspect it's a mechjeb issue, will try that next.

Aren't those new "RCS" Thrusters liquid fueled? :huh:

Oh. I think I finally got the hang of building airplanes, then. Never before have I been able to make such a small plane fly so high and fast.

It's as much in the flying as the building. You've gotta throttle down and skim across the edge of the usable atmosphere for as long as possible while you slowly gather speed.

Hey. I just completed a contract to explore the Mun, and while I was there I planted a flag. Once I came back, I got a contract to plant a flag on the Mun. Because one is already there, will I get the contract auto completed?

Hey. I just completed a contract to explore the Mun, and while I was there I planted a flag. Once I came back, I got a contract to plant a flag on the Mun. Because one is already there, will I get the contract auto completed?

I haven't. I usually use those contracts to do more missions on the Mun.

No. Whenever you do a manned landing on a celestial body other than Kerbin for the first time, pop back to the mission control building, there should be a "plant a flag" contract available that you can do without doing an extra trip.

You can also set permanently occupied base at any possible celestial body and set probes orbiting these bodies. This makes contract "send science data orbiting ..." and "plant flag on ..." really easy, fast and without additional funds needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.