Are you STEAMed or what?

HavinAlmassi

As I try futilitously to download the new version of KSP amidst the storm of server activity, I can't help but ask myself why I haven't transferred my game purchase to STEAM. I could be playing KSP by now.

I've had to ask myself this question before, server troubles during an update is nothing new, and while I've never been able to come up with a satisfying answer, I still don't transfer. I don't have an issue with STEAM, in fact I own numerous games on that platform. It just doesn't feel right. For some reason downloading through the website, and keeping my KSP seperate from everything else seems like the right thing for me.

Is there anyone else like me who hasn't transferred their purchase to STEAM? Why not?

I haven't because I dislike steam. But I've never had any trouble download from the squad store. The distributor they chose seems to have worked fine today.

I keep getting this error:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in /host/www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/htdocs/lib/multiplayDwn.php on line 132

This isn't really about that though. I'm a patient guy. I can wait for my update.

Edited by HavinAlmassi

I'm getting the same error. The patcher isn't working either. The server must be suffering.

I didn't transfer either. I keep several copies of KSP for different purposes, and I doubt I can do that with Steam.

[EDIT]: By the way, now my error has updated to "Invalid version"

Edited by Dielos

I've been trying to download the Win-64 version myself - with a resultant "invalid version" error for my trouble. I figured there might be some sever stress and longer-than-normal download times but I didn't expect to be completely blocked. I should note I too get the Line 132 Parse Error when trying to download the normal 0.24 version off the KSP Store.

As for Steam, I just seen no benefit to transferring my purchase to date. I suppose if I'm completely unable to get 0.24 for days on end while Steam users are having no issue, I might change my tune just for efficiency's sake.

Note: after waiting a bit, I tried to download the 64-bit version once again. Now it tells me I'm "Not Authorized." How droll.

Edited by JeanHavoc
Minor content edition.

I'm getting the same error. The patcher isn't working either. The server must be suffering.

I didn't transfer either. I keep several copies of KSP for different purposes, and I doubt I can do that with Steam.

[EDIT]: By the way, now my error has updated to "Invalid version"

same here. maybe something to do with our location?

EDIT: The download is running right now. I´m gonna be sooo overnighted tomorrow. Couldn´t sleep anyway ;) Have Fun Folks!

Edited by KerrMü

I haven't transferred to Steam because I don't want to have to use Steam and KSP at the same time. I like the liberty the store gives you.

For the people having problem downloading from the store, just log off and log in again, it did the job for me and others too.

Upon Further review - I find that the links I click on the KSP website, after logging out and back in open quickly, but they do nothing. No download starts. How interesting, is it messed up? Does the store not work with Firefox? I'll have to check.

I haven't transferred to Steam because I don't want to have to use Steam and KSP at the same time. I like the liberty the store gives you.

For the people having problem downloading from the store, just log off and log in again, it did the job for me and others too.

Close steam, run .exe like normal?

I don't have KSP in steam, because I have several copies of KSP installed, sometimes I have different versions installed. So I prefer to just manage that myself. I've not had problems downloading from the store for ages, last few updates have downloaded first time and fairly quickly.

Upon Further review - I find that the links I click on the KSP website, after logging out and back in open quickly, but they do nothing. No download starts. How interesting, is it messed up? Does the store not work with Firefox? I'll have to check.

I'm seeing the same thing. Any version I click on to download opens a blank page (earlier it was parse error on line 132).

I've tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Same blank page in all of them.

Absolutely no problem downloading here.. I even cancelled the download and tried again because I selected wrong download location at first.

It is alot better than it has been in the past where it could be impossible to reach for hours.

The reason for me is that I just dont trust services like STEAM in the long run. For all I know they could one day decide to drop support for a game.

Also if you for some reason get banned you also lose your entire game library. At least when using ksp store I know that i will be able to download as long as the game is still in support even if the unlikely event that steam shuts down their servers.

There is one feature that is tempting me somewhat to transfer though and that is the in home streaming function, which would allow you to play KSP even on low end devices like a crappy laptop or even a tablet like the microsoft surface.

I'm seeing the same thing. Any version I click on to download opens a blank page (earlier it was parse error on line 132).

I've tried Firefox, IE, and Chrome. Same blank page in all of them.

Are you using any extensions like noscript?? And I guess alredy tried clearing cache and then logging back in?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.