[WEB] KSP Ribbon Generator [v2.0, Dec 22, 2014] Over 7 Million Served!

Don't be shy, brag about your accomplishments!

The KSP Ribbon Generator lets you easily create a fancy collection of KSP awards.  Ribbons are awards you give yourself for accomplishing feats of daring in Kerbal Space Program, using images created by Unistrut. Things like getting into orbit and landing on another planet - ya know, all in a day's work. The Ribbon Generator lets you choose which goals you've done, and combine them into a fancy image that you can put in your signature, or wherever you like.  You can see mine in my siggy below.

Version 2.0 ~ Now with the Grand Tour Shield!

Kerbaltek is proud to be the home of the KSP Ribbon Generator.  Unistrut created all the great ribbons and artwork used by the generator and developed their rules for use; and Moustachauve originally developed the web app, which has been completely rebuilt by us at Kerbaltek.

www.Kerbaltek.com/ribbons

Please feel free to contact us here or on our site with any support or other issues you might have.  We'll do our best to address everything in time.

Edited by Ezriilc
updates, formatting, typos

A perfectly valid question, and I can only answer this:

Not 100%, but I do know that my host can be... rather inconsistent with it's outgoing mail timing. I should put a notice about that in the message. It can take up to an hour, but rarely takes longer than a minute or two.

Please be patient, but by all means, if you don't get it today, contact me on our site.

Yep. For privacy reasons, I was not given any user data. And don't worry, I will never use or share your info outside of the site either.

I figured as much but I wanted to ask and make sure. Great work by the way and thank you for keeping this alive.

I figured as much but I wanted to ask and make sure. Great work by the way and thank you for keeping this alive.

Thank you for your support, and you're very welcome. I like being useful to the community. Check out the Craft Kitchen too; there are a lot of great ships in there - some of them mine.

I just finished a lengthy mission to Gilly, and another to Minmus, and earned the pretty ribbons for them. Next on to the moons of Jool! The ribbons have given me the completionist need to get them all.

A nice user contacted me and pointed out that the rover image was missing from the Flag Generator, so I fixed that.

I'm planning a complete rebuild of both sites to integrate them and add more perks for registered members. Until then, I'll be fixing any problems, but not adding new stuff, unless it's really easy and/or important.

I'd love to get as much feedback as possible from anyone interested - in the look, layout and functions of the site, so please give me all your nit-picky complaints and ideas. :)

• 1 month later...
Cool to see this up again. Reckon we'll ever get some more devices? Asteroid orbiter and asteroid lander would be good, and I wouldn't mind boat too.

I'm gratified that someone is still interested.

Actually, I'm currently rewriting the entire generator from the ground up, with all the latest artwork from Unistrut. There are new ribbons for asteroids, and the Grand Tour challenge shields with lots of devices. I think you will be pleased.

Hopefully it won't take too long, but I cannot guarantee when it will be ready.

I'm gratified that someone is still interested.

Actually, I'm currently rewriting the entire generator from the ground up, with all the latest artwork from Unistrut. There are new ribbons for asteroids, and the Grand Tour challenge shields with lots of devices. I think you will be pleased.

Hopefully it won't take too long, but I cannot guarantee when it will be ready.

Yay, we'll get a Grand Tour Shield generator! That sounds great :)

• 1 month later...
Bless you for rescuing this! Oh, and many thanks to Moustachauve for keeping the old one alive as long as he did.

You are most welcome! I'm very proud to be trusted with it, and Moustachauve has been very generous with their help.

The rebuild is mostly done, but I've been working on some other stuff, so it's been delayed a little.

• 1 month later...

I know some folks are looking for the new Ribbon Generator, so here's a demo.

Please remember that this is only a test, and it isn't plugged into our database yet. Also, it doesn't generate downloadable output yet, but that's next.

http://ribbons.kerbaltek.com/TESTING/

EDIT: The rebuild is complete, and the new URL is: http://www.Kerbaltek.com/ribbons

Please test it well, and let me know of any issues. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Ezriilc

Looking great. I think the new UI's going to help a lot for those who only want a few ribbons, less need to scroll through. Definitely like the Grand Tour shield, it really helps illustrate the big multi-target missions. I'd venture it warrants a few more craft devices, notably the multi-part ship.

The tooltips for the station and multi-part ship appear to be swapped.

Not convinced by the placement of Eeloo, but I guess it's in a situation of "where else can it go".

Any chance of asteroid devices for the moons, or do you think it would make the ribbon too busy and confusing? (Shameless self interest wanting to record my Magic Boulder recreation).

Looking great. I think the new UI's going to help a lot for those who only want a few ribbons, less need to scroll through. Definitely like the Grand Tour shield, it really helps illustrate the big multi-target missions. I'd venture it warrants a few more craft devices, notably the multi-part ship.

The tooltips for the station and multi-part ship appear to be swapped.

Not convinced by the placement of Eeloo, but I guess it's in a situation of "where else can it go".

Any chance of asteroid devices for the moons, or do you think it would make the ribbon too busy and confusing? (Shameless self interest wanting to record my Magic Boulder recreation).

First off - excellent input, thank you very much!

I fixed the tooltips - good catch.

I agree about Eeloo's placement. That was my call, but I'm completely open to any opinions.

As for any changes to the ribbons or devices, that would be for Unistrut, the creator to consider. I don't think they watch this thread, but I'll invite them.

I'm still experiencing some image/caching issues in Firefox, and wondering if anyone else does. Sometimes the Grand Tour Shield is missing some layers, like the Orbits/Landings pips, and the Effects. Dumping the cache and then a second reload seems to "fix" it for a bit, but then it goes wonky again.

I think maybe I need to pre-load all the images with JavaScript, but that's a pain.

That was bugging me, so I tweaked it. I moved Dres to the left to keep Eeloo on the right near its neighbors, and shifted Jool's moons to compensate.

Better?

I'm liking the new interface. I also like that it doesn't make requests to JQuery (some time ago, their website was serving up malware -- it was their homepage, not the scripts that they serve to other websites, but it's still a third-party dependency and a security vulnerability).

However, Kerbol is missing the Escape device.

I'm liking the new interface. I also like that it doesn't make requests to JQuery (some time ago, their website was serving up malware -- it was their homepage, not the scripts that they serve to other websites, but it's still a third-party dependency and a security vulnerability).
You read my mind. I don't even like using ANY third-party stuff, but JQuery makes everything so much easier that I finally gave in and learned it. Now I'm hooked.
However, Kerbol is missing the Escape device.
Oh yea, I forgot about that. :huh: I'd better look over all the special devices for odd ones like that.

EDIT: FIXED!

EDIT: Also remembered to include the Meteor device for Kerbol. Any other missing devices?

THANKS!

Edited by Ezriilc

The Grand Tour Shield seem to be missing quite a few craft options. The multi-part ship is an obvious omission, but I could imagine a cruiser bringing along ISRU equipment to fuel itself up for the next leg of its journey and thus deserving a Resource device.

I thought there was a bug with the "achieved" checkbox on the asteroid ribbon, but then I realized that it's just unintuitive behavior (I think): it's an indicator, not something I'm supposed to click on. Maybe the image could fade into color or gray out depending on whether or not it was achieved? I see the checkbox and want to click it, because that's how it works for all of the other bodies, though I get that the asteroid ribbon rules are a little different. Alternatively, clicking the "achieved" checkbox could default the asteroid to be in Kerbol orbit.

Saving and generating seems to be a little spotty -- I got a fatal error one time as I was trying to save (which has not repeated itself), trying to generate ribbons with an asteroid or grand tour shield gives me fatal errors (e.g. "FATAL ERROR: Can't read ribbon image: ./KSP_images/ribbons/Asteroid.png"), and when generating works, it seems to give me the bottom-right-most ribbon only, with the return chevron and challenge wreath on top of the craft device.

Finally, it's taking a little while to get over my habit of scrolling down large parts of the page to get at the ribbon options. This is not a bad problem to have -- I certainly won't miss that "feature" of the current generator! :wink:

The Grand Tour Shield seem to be missing quite a few craft options. The multi-part ship is an obvious omission, but I could imagine a cruiser bringing along ISRU equipment to fuel itself up for the next leg of its journey and thus deserving a Resource device.
The ships I see in the official Ribbons release from Unistrut are:

• Aircraft
  • Capsule
  • Lander
  • Probe Lander
  • Probe Rover
  • Probe
  • Rover

If any of those are missing from our generator, then of course I'll fix that. Otherwise, we should take it up with Unistrut.

I thought there was a bug with the "achieved" checkbox on the asteroid ribbon, but then I realized that it's just unintuitive behavior (I think): it's an indicator, not something I'm supposed to click on. Maybe the image could fade into color or gray out depending on whether or not it was achieved? I see the checkbox and want to click it, because that's how it works for all of the other bodies, though I get that the asteroid ribbon rules are a little different. Alternatively, clicking the "achieved" checkbox could default the asteroid to be in Kerbol orbit.
I thought long and hard on how to do this in the most intuitive way. I like the fade idea, and I could hide the checkbox completely, if you think that will help.
Saving and generating seems to be a little spotty -- I got a fatal error one time as I was trying to save (which has not repeated itself), trying to generate ribbons with an asteroid or grand tour shield gives me fatal errors (e.g. "FATAL ERROR: Can't read ribbon image: ./KSP_images/ribbons/Asteroid.png"), and when generating works, it seems to give me the bottom-right-most ribbon only, with the return chevron and challenge wreath on top of the craft device.
Save should be working perfectly as of last night (Nov 19) - can you please try to reproduce this? In the future, if you can remember and post the exact wording of any errors encountered, that would be awesome. :D

However, Generate is not nearly done (like it says on the page :wink:), so you'll always either get a FATAL ERROR, or some jacked up image - that's to be expected until it's done.

Finally, it's taking a little while to get over my habit of scrolling down large parts of the page to get at the ribbon options. This is not a bad problem to have -- I certainly won't miss that "feature" of the current generator! :wink:
lulz :cool: I'm hoping that users will be able to transition easily, and your input is a huge help. Thank you so much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.