Laythe Capitalism!

Whew... Long and taxing trip, but managed $53 Funds/Ticket! So I determined that utilizing a direct capture to Laythe, and a direct burn to Kerbin from LLO, the trip would use less than 3000 dV! [...] I painfully did a powered gravity assist off of Tylo managing a return from LLO for only 700 dV. Never again. (So many quick saves :confused:)

Oh boy, here's go my new high score.

I'm a little disappointed that you gallery is so short. When I was planning my mission, I was looking for someone doing a Tylo gravity assist just to see how it's done.

Btw, how do you plan the direct return from Laythe? I found that to be non-trivial.

Update:

Laythe_Deluxe.jpg

This is the "Laythe Deluxe". Passengers board their cabins on Kerbin and don't have to switch vessels at any time: the whole passenger section docks with a Laythe Lander module, similar to the Kerbin Lifter you see above. It's supposed to be a luxury vessel -- I didn't know how to add a pool or golf course, but I did slap on a cupola. There's also an actual living breathing pilot that doesn't count towards the ferried Kerbals. For all that, this vessel still manages an amazing 51 funds/Kerbal.

But wait, there's more:

Laythe_Budget.jpg

Laythe_Shuttle.jpg

This was supposed to be the low-cost solution. 30 large passenger modules for 480 Kerbals in a single vessel. Shuttles on either end of the voyage ferry the passengers from and to the surface. The Kerbin Shuttle (not shown, but similar to the one you see) also delivers fuel for the next trip. This solution comes down to 42.5 funds. On the next best transfer window, without gravity assists, and without subjecting the passengers to the indignity of sitting outside at Mach23.

I'm too lazy to weed out the pictures and make a nice gallery; there's a 40MB zipfile holding all the screenshots, pretty much every node and every transfer, and some text to go with it. I figured that the three pictures above would be already be more than most people really want to see; and the truly curious are probably happy about the high level of detail.

Of course, I didn't carry hundreds of Kerbals, only a small number as a proof of concept. While Kerbals in seats have mass, Kerbals in containers don't, so who cares if a module is empty?

Edited by Laie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/20/2016 at 9:14 PM, JacobJHC said:

Sounds like a great challenge cannot wait to start. I have so many ideas.... Also is it to late to do this challenge?

Probably.  Mining and refining mean that you can build an sstLaythe, fly there, refuel (if needed), come back to Kerbin, refuel, and taxi over to KSC, for a total cost of 0 kerbobucks.  If you want to follow the original spirit of the challenge, I suppose you could do it without mining.

Edited by zolotiyeruki

When Rule 8 was referring to no strategies what does that apply to? For example I have a recoverable launch vehicle, if I use that for refueling purposes would that be cheating if i subtract the funds recovered? I would only count the recovered parts not the fuel.

• 7 months later...
On 6/24/2016 at 0:24 PM, JacobJHC said:

When Rule 8 was referring to no strategies what does that apply to? For example I have a recoverable launch vehicle, if I use that for refueling purposes would that be cheating if i subtract the funds recovered? I would only count the recovered parts not the fuel.

I don't see how this challenge can be completed without refueling either with extra missions or wiith IRSU.  It's fine if there was a ban on IRSU, but I didn't see that anywhere. So it seems the way to win this challenge is to build a fully reusable SST-Laythe with refueling.  With a SSTO, the entire cost of hardware is covered.  If you then add refueling, you can put your ship back to its starting form when you return.

Starting Cost: :funds:231,249

Recovery Cost :funds:231,250  (I recovered with my small ore tank full)

I know I'm not the first to make a reusable Laythe craft, but does it count as a win for this challenge?

Edited by HarrySeaward

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.