Laythe Capitalism!

So guys I made this beast, It gets 5 kerbals docked at the fuel station orbiting Kerbin for a 922 LF and 350 Oxidizer and 50 Monopropellant. On Some flights I got the total cost to be $900, but the problem is trying to use this on Laythe. While that much fuel isn't a problem from kerbin surface, the amount of fuel needed to get that much extra fuel and have everything returned is enormous. It would take two of the largest NASA tanks if I try to add more then 1 nuclear engine to reduce the time from 2 hours and that would only reduce it to 1 hour 30 minute burn time. Getting that much fuel into orbit using my fuel version of my SSTO would take donzens of trips. So what do you guys think would be the best solution, should I make a ion SSTO for Laythe? There is a 300 part limit on my ships because my computer is trash.

S93jUs7

AlexanderB: Yes, Laythe has lower gravity and less dense atmosphere. You can start a gravity turn at 5km but jets flame out more easily. Be careful with xenon because in my xenon-driven test mission (with command seats only!) would use about 7000-8000 units of Xenon. And it was about 6-7 tons alltogether!

By the way I have lost my main HDD some days ago (always check you made backups!!), so I had to redo my Laythe Capitalism! mission, but it's under construction and will be better than before! My main ship will be a "flying village" :D

Okay, here's my entry:

1 Experienced Pilot

4 Space Tourist Kerbals

1 SpacePlane from Kerbin to orbit, and also for landing on Laythe

1 interplanetary main ship with a comfy living quarter

The main ship always stays in space and brings the tourists to Laythe orbit and back. It also carries the SpacePlane too.

At the beginning the tourists goes up to the main ship with the plane, and lands at Laythe with it too.

When back to Kerbin they use the plane to land back at KSC.

Then there is a refueling mission to the main ship (they also change the sheets and tovels).

When the plane is refueled too then everything is ready for the next four Space Tourist!

The plane spent 646.64 funds on fuel, and the main ship refueling costs 4855.86. So the total cost of a mission is 5502.5, which means it's 1376 funds per Kerbal (rounded up). :)

I used the Texture Replacer and the Clouds and City lights mod.

mr_yogurt: thank you for this great challenge, I think this is a great idea! I already have an other version under development under the secret code "Space Village". :D

This is a random picture from the mission:

B46g8dY.jpg

and here's everything about the mission:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Ziv

My Lathe Travel Company is set up. The stations (Hammer and Farview) are set up, ships and landers are in position.

I'm starting the first of 11-12 fueling SSTO runs at this moment, the shuttle with the 25 proud Kerbals who booked a ticket for the maiden flight will lauch afterwards

@Ziv: Nice execution, as always!

Your price per ticket is in the dimensions of my rough calculations.

Edited by Norcurion

mr_yogurt: thanks! It's awesome to be at the top and the bottom at the same time! :D

Btw I have an idea to design a badge for this challenge, similar to what there is for the JOOL-5 now. It would be circular and would say "Laythe Space Tours Director" or something similar. I would like to link my mission to it,

what do you think?

Norcurion: sounds good, I'm curious what you will come up with!

Finally a challenge that inspires me and motivates to turn on KSP again... I am updating to 0.24 and starting a new career mod to try this out will post something in a few days depending on the career completion...

Thanks for the challenge!!!

Ziv: how much does it cost to refuel the Laythe lander? Or do you refuel it from the interplanetary bus?

It starts refueled from KSC and is refueled from the interplanetary bus before Laythe landing. I also transfered all the remaining fuel from the bus into the lander before landing back on KSC. When I recovered it it had a cost difference of 646.64 which was the fuel only (there was no dropped parts).

The bus started full too and was refueled at the end of the mission, it cost 4855.86.

I've entcountered a major Bug.... All ships that i undock in laythe Orbit from the main orbital station drifte fast away and do Not longer exist as own entities in the engine. After going to the space center and back to the station the ship is back again docked to the station. I'll relaunch the station tomorrow, hopefuly that will stop the bug.

Until then i won't be able to post my challenge entry, sorry :-/

mr_yogurt: thanks! It's awesome to be at the top and the bottom at the same time! :D

Btw I have an idea to design a badge for this challenge, similar to what there is for the JOOL-5 now. It would be circular and would say "Laythe Space Tours Director" or something similar. I would like to link my mission to it,

what do you think?

I like that. If you want to make one that would be great (I'm a terrible designer)! But if it was something where you put it in your signature, it seems a bit unfair if everyone has one that links to your mission. :P It should just link to the front page. I'll put a link to it on the front page so people can put it in their signature when they've finished it.

Quick question, I've got most of my craft ready, but realized that I've made them all in sandbox mode ;.;

So, do i have to transfer them all to a career save, or can i just use some excellent piloting skills and land at the runway every time?

(also, is moderate part clipping ok?)

Edited by CavemanNinja

Quick question, I've got most of my craft ready, but realized that I've made them all in sandbox mode ;.;

So, do i have to transfer them all to a career save, or can i just use some excellent piloting skills and land at the runway every time?

(also, is moderate part clipping ok?)

To keep it fair, you should move them all over to a career save.

Part clipping is fine if you don't use the debug menu.

Hmmm, Guess this means i need to finally complete a career all the way through :rolleyes:

Or i could cheat in the science... You guys'd never know either way.

Just kidding, got one completed, all that remains is to actually do it. Expect my entry soon. (or whenever i find time between my numerous projects to sit down and fly it)

Edited by CavemanNinja

I'll skip the "winning this" bit and go for at least doing it before 0.25 comes out. I'm about halfway up my science tree, I might need to unlock a bit more to finish this, but I'll be able to gather a ton of science around Jool/Laythe. :)

I built a very nicely furnished 18 seater luxury jet using SP+, capable of going to orbit twice without refueling. :)

I also built a cargo-SSTO capable of bringing up to 7 tons into orbit, I'll use that to bring up an LV-N.

Then all I need is a fuel container to power the LV-N, and a way to refuel that in orbit, and my luxury tourism program can start. :)

I built a very nicely furnished 18 seater luxury jet using SP+, capable of going to orbit twice without refueling. :)

Do you mean SpacePlane Plus? The rules says the only mod accepted is MechJeb... or is SP+, B9 and other part-mods allowed? I think this has to be reguled well and unitary because I had some hard time in the JOOL-5 Challenge to admin entries with different part mods... some of them gives a lot of advantage while others are stock-a-like. So it's about giving a list to people with the allowed mods.

Btw I like SP+, it looks awesome! If it is like stock in the ratios then I would be happy to use it too!

Edited by Ziv

I like that. If you want to make one that would be great (I'm a terrible designer)! But if it was something where you put it in your signature, it seems a bit unfair if everyone has one that links to your mission. :P It should just link to the front page. I'll put a link to it on the front page so people can put it in their signature when they've finished it.

Yes, I would design the badge for this challenge and it's up to everybody what to link to the badge. In the JOOL-5 the badge links to the challenge but I saw people who linked their mission or didn't link anything at all with the picture. I can't control it and I don't mind if they change the link... :)

Do you mean SpacePlane Plus? The rules says the only mod accepted is MechJeb... or is SP+, B9 and other part-mods allowed? I think this has to be reguled well and unitary because I had some hard time in the JOOL-5 Challenge to admin entries with different part mods... some of them gives a lot of advantage while others are stock-a-like. So it's about giving a list to people with the allowed mods.

Btw I like SP+, it looks awesome! If it is like stock in the ratios then I would be happy to use it too!

Oh, right, forgot about that. Yes, Spaceplane Plus.

Mmm, guess I'll have to wait for 0.25 for Spaceplane Plus to become stock. ;)

Its very much like stock in its weights and specs and such, just a lot prettier than stacking a 2 seater lander can and 3 hitchiker containers and putting on some wings.

And if the no-mods is non-negotiable, I guess I'll go for honorable mention, I just want to go to Laythe again for the first time in forever.. :)

(I tend to really over-design missions, and usually end up not going at all, then a new update comes out and I start a fresh save and start designing all over again, this time I'm just going, even if its not for an official entry..)

I think a badge is a good idea for nearly any challenge. Gives a sense of achievement, and also serves to promote the challenge. I makes more sense for the "achievement" type of challenges though, like Jool-5 or Circumnavigation (where just completing the task is an achievement in it's own right).

That said, would you be willing to ease up on the mods a bit? Complicated mission and no mods is a surefire way to keep people away. Personally, I'm using kOS (a lot) and have the docking camera installed -- the latter comes without a dedicated part, but "infects" every docking port. I'd be willing to participate, but under the current policy this is not gonna happen.

Can we use Kerbal alarm clock ? Or navyfish docking alignment indicator ? And other mods that don't change the gameplay or adds parts.

Im considering a 3 ship solution. 1 SSTO that sends up the passengers and refuels the interplanetary stage of the mission. The interplanetary stage has enough comfy living quarters and fuel to refuel the laythe SSTO. The Interplanetary stage never lands. And the Laythe SSTO stays around laythe. Hoping to avoid any command seats since I think kerbals should have burned up on reentry in those.

Edited by cyberklad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.